ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivery to neighbour

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ruralpost
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Oct 2009, 20:58
Gender: Female

Delivery to neighbour

Post by ruralpost »

I used to deliver to neighbour but it has lead to my round having 20 minutes extra delivery added on. DOM showed me Trimble on his computer and pointed out stops which were over 2 mins then added them up and said I had time for extra work as I was taking too long on delivery. I P739 everything now.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by woopesh »

Personally I only try a neighbour if its obvious someone next door is in or its particulary heavy / massive and I want to get rid of it. The rest get 739'd. Its whatever appears to be quicker or will benefit my delivery at the time. Writing out a 739 takes longer than trying a neighbour who is obviously in and leaving a something with your neighbour card, especially if you can do everything at the delivery point (doors facing each other or next to each other etc).
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by woopesh »

Reading the OP's article, why then do RM have insurance and compensation guarantees if the retailer is responsible for delivery? Surely you could door step to your hearts content?!
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Clared »

I try to get rid of most parcels most days to neighbours if ppl aren't in, otherwise days later you tend to find they going to be re delivered. Which is a real pet hate of mine especially if there not in again. On 1 time I tried 4 times to deliver a parcel never again. Plus on another note it's less to sort out when you get back to the DO
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by postslippete »

If the intended recipient ain't in then P739

I don't bother with neighbours because I find that it creates more problems than what it solves. Yes, its nice to go back to the depot without a big sack of packages but at least you know that the customers parcels are secure and it keeps the callers office staff in work. Leaving parcels in porches and with neighbours might be more convenient for the customer but it only takes just one parcel to go astray before a RM manager comes back to you with a customer complaint and counselling. For me its just not worth it.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by greengiant »

Clared wrote:I try to get rid of most parcels most days to neighbours if ppl aren't in, otherwise days later you tend to find they going to be re delivered. Which is a real pet hate of mine especially if there not in again. On 1 time I tried 4 times to deliver a parcel never again. Plus on another note it's less to sort out when you get back to the DO
How much time do you spend delivering to neighbours to save a few minutes sorting p739 packets back at the DO? Fine if you have plenty spare time in your delivery span, but for me im over most days
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Sir Henry »

ruralpost wrote:I used to deliver to neighbour but it has lead to my round having 20 minutes extra delivery added on. DOM showed me Trimble on his computer and pointed out stops which were over 2 mins then added them up and said I had time for extra work as I was taking too long on delivery. I P739 everything now.
Did you complain to your rep?
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Clared »

greengiant wrote:
Clared wrote:I try to get rid of most parcels most days to neighbours if ppl aren't in, otherwise days later you tend to find they going to be re delivered. Which is a real pet hate of mine especially if there not in again. On 1 time I tried 4 times to deliver a parcel never again. Plus on another note it's less to sort out when you get back to the DO
How much time do you spend delivering to neighbours to save a few minutes sorting p739 packets back at the DO? Fine if you have plenty spare time in your delivery span, but for me im over most days
I don't do it on every occasion, TBH I don't stand there long its a quick knock or I'm gone. I know my walk very well so I do know certain neighbours who will take them in for me.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Xr4 »

Don't know if anyone else is finding the same, but there seems to be more and more neighbours refusing, most of the time it's because they don't like them. I tend to card it unless I see a neighbour outside
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Xr4 wrote:Don't know if anyone else is finding the same, but there seems to be more and more neighbours refusing, most of the time it's because they don't like them. I tend to card it unless I see a neighbour outside

I rarely bring anything back that isn't a special or an international signed for item. In my experience the vast majority of people are willing to take in an item for a neighbour. I really don't understand why so many of you moan about it or refuse to do what is a Royal Mail standard. That said too many at Royal Mail just like to whinge at everything. You won't spend 10 seconds knocking a neighbour's door to attempt to deliver first time, but you'll spend up to 5 minutes writing out a P739 and dealing with it on your return to the office! Some colleagues just don't want to change their ways and don't like to be told what to do. That is the root cause of a lot of the problems in the workforce today.
ruralpost
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Oct 2009, 20:58
Gender: Female

Delivery to neighbour

Post by ruralpost »

Sir Henry wrote:
ruralpost wrote:I used to deliver to neighbour but it has lead to my round having 20 minutes extra delivery added on. DOM showed me Trimble on his computer and pointed out stops which were over 2 mins then added them up and said I had time for extra work as I was taking too long on delivery. I P739 everything now.
Did you complain to your rep?
He was present at the meeting and said it was fair enough because you can't argue with Trimble.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by ScousePostie »

Yesterday one of our posties was spoken to by management about the amount of parcels he was bringing back to the office. Manager said he needs to try and deliver more parcels to neighbours if he can't deliver to intended address. Manager even told him that he had a 'leaderboard' of who is bringing back the packets and this postie was at the top.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

Makes me thankful that our office is all deep rural apart from one duty , never have been questioned and I'm probably the worst as I refuse to doorstep or sign for.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Lounge Lizard »

:shhhhh
CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:Makes me thankful that our office is all deep rural apart from one duty , never have been questioned and I'm probably the worst as I refuse to doorstep or sign for.
Same with me. :thumbup
We don't see a DOM from one year to the next. :nana
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Delivery to neighbour

Post by Sir Henry »

ruralpost wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:
ruralpost wrote:I used to deliver to neighbour but it has lead to my round having 20 minutes extra delivery added on. DOM showed me Trimble on his computer and pointed out stops which were over 2 mins then added them up and said I had time for extra work as I was taking too long on delivery. I P739 everything now.
Did you complain to your rep?
He was present at the meeting and said it was fair enough because you can't argue with Trimble.
Kick it upstairs to area. Your two minute stops, aren't due to you slacking are they? No,so how can you do more work when you're working? Sounds like your boss is a bellend and your rep is ineffectual.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"