ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Interested-seeker »

Brandy wrote:
postslippete wrote:There's one guy who just wears his hi-vi with no shirt underneath in the heat of summer with shorts. I mean why bother with a red or blue shirt? Its only going to get really sweaty under the arms anyway.

Oh, and a cooler box with a few drinks in the van
You could always deliver naked!! At least you would get an all over tan!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Or all over sunburnt!
Constance
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 95
Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 06:06
Gender: Female

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Constance »

I wear the wide brimmed hat because I am vain and don't want to look sun burned. The hat is as hot as hell. When I wash it , the brim flops and doesn't protect my face as well as when new. Not fit for more than two weeks use said my manager. Can you imagine if we all ordered 8 hats over the summer? They are not popular with the lads, possibly 'cos they make you look a bit daft. I dunno.

Newbies should get a wide brimmed hat if they start in the summer. You are being required to work in the sun and need protection.

Long sleeved blue shirt to protect my arms. The RM shorts are waaay too hot and I would love to cut them shorter, I.e above the pockets, but my thighs might scare the public. The boots are as hot as hell too.

As this PPE is required, I have researched the law a bit, and whilst generally of no use in hot weather guidance. It suggests that because the PPE is hot to wear, we should be considered for extra rest breaks to remove said items and cool down.

You obvs have to drink more to replace more lost body fluids, which means the loo more. I'm post menopausal, (sorry for sharing, but it affects my work in respect of urgency for the loo) . I know lots of female posties who don't drink because of the consequent need for the loo. We have smaller bladders than our lovely male colleages. Urgency after menopause is a problem. PS I'm not a old goat, it's a totally weird biological thing.The stopping drinking to stop weeing reminds me of those chicken factory workers in the US who wore nappies because they dare not use the loo. No, it hasn't come to that. But finding a loo break when you need to go takes longer than 3 mins. Finding a bog not too far of delivery. Wrestling those sweaty bloody shorts up and down, grrr.

I don't think my DO should have any lapsing when temperatures are expected to be over 25 degrees, because of the heat stress involved in attempting to deliver at the same pace as at cooler temps.

Has anyone tried to have a risk assessment of their round in hot weather? One round I cover is almost completely without any shade. I nearly died. I don't agree that because I'm a postie, I should not be entitled to a decent standard of treatment at work.

This is my first time posting. :wave