http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/153 ... niversary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A COUPLE in Thornbury have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with a twist today following a special delivery from a familiar postman.
George and Mary Martin, who have lived in Thornbury for around 45 years, had a surprise visit from their son Geoff, who works for the Post Office in Cambridgeshire and made a special trip back to personally deliver the couple’s telegram from Her Majesty, the Queen.
The couple who were both 81 in June, tied the knot in Bristol on July 6, 1957, shortly after turning 21, having lived across the road from each other when they were young.
They then moved to Knapp Road in Thornbury in 1972, raising their three children Geoff, Carole and Alan, who have since given them six grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Carole was also able to join her parents and brother in the family celebrations, with Alan, who lives in Nigeria, also sending his love.
They said how delighted they were to be surprised by their children for their special day, and that they looked forward to finding a special place for the telegram signed by Her Majesty.
Answering the age-old question about the secret to a long and happy marriage, George, a former AA patrolman, and Mary, a retired admin assistant, said that it was down to “both having your own things to do, while enjoying every moment together.”
George jokingly added that he was looking forward to a pint later while Mary went off to play bingo.
The surprise deliveryman, Geoff said: “It means a lot to be able to do this for my parents.
“I have probably only delivered half a dozen diamond wedding anniversary telegrams in my 10 years as a postman and I thought it would be a nice surprise to deliver it to my parents myself, something not many postmen are able to do.
“I spoke to the Thornbury branch who said it would be ok and here I am, thankfully they haven’t asked me to do any more deliveries while I am here.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Surprise delivery for Thornbury couple celebrating diamond wedding anniversary
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Surprise delivery for Thornbury couple celebrating diamond wedding anniversary
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.