ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Old v young

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Old v young

Post by Brandy »

postietom wrote:
walkthewalk wrote:What is the unions stance on this age situation?
Realistically, what do you expect them to do? Age isn't always a factor anyway. I'm in my early 20's and there's blokes 30 years older than me at my place who are just as quick, more so in some cases.
Couldnt believe it when my boss asked me when are you leaving as we are getting some new starters!! Charming 19 years service,felt like I was being put on the scrap heap.Yes I did leave when I was ready,not when he wanted me to!!!! :Very Happy
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by fly-catchers »

daveyeff wrote:I'm 58, my drivers rest day cover is 27. he knows I have had 2 knee replacements and I don't have a hope in hell in keeping up, nor would I even try. you go at your own comfortable pace and not what is dictated. he finishes his loops before me then goes off to do packets. it works.
The size of my round using a HCT is dictated by the speed of the guy who covers my rest day! He gets back 30 minutes earlier than me, so they add 1 and a half more roads on. So I now end up phoning at 1pm saying I won't be able to complete most days. Even on lighter days where I do complete have little or no time to put together D2D's! He is 30 and does cycle marathons from London to Brighton. I am almost 60 and have knackered knees! But according to the DIM now the sun is shinning my knees are fine and cannot be used as a reason! Cheers!! :roll:
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by daveyeff »

take it further.
Ralph Wiggum
Posts: 76
Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by Ralph Wiggum »

Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually take a moment to think about our older 'slower' colleagues.

Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually realise they themselves will one day be the older 'slower' postie.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Old v young

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually take a moment to think about our older 'slower' colleagues.

Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually realise they themselves will one day be the older 'slower' postie.
Sadly not in I'm-alright-Jack post-Thatcher Britain. :sad:
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Old v young

Post by Brandy »

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually take a moment to think about our older 'slower' colleagues.

Maybe one day the younger 'faster' postie will actually realise they themselves will one day be the older 'slower' postie.
Well said couldnt have worded it better! :Applause
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Younger postie here. I pretty much always go and help my full time older partner on loops if he's struggling. It's the right thing to do. He tries his best.

It's also a nice surprise when he comes to help me.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by Seymour Buts »

If you're any good it doesn't make that much difference anyway. You build a working relationship with your partner. If somebody is slightly slower, I deliver oversized, sort the next bags out or tidy the van. If all that is done I walk towards 'em and spit the rest of the bag.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Old v young

Post by Brandy »

postietom wrote:If you're any good it doesn't make that much difference anyway. You build a working relationship with your partner. If somebody is slightly slower, I deliver oversized, sort the next bags out or tidy the van. If all that is done I walk towards 'em and spit the rest of the bag.
Thats how it should be done,you work as a team.