ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Theghost »

There was one i remember and it sounds exactly the same as what the OP is talking about.

The lad constantly dragged it out,Talking to anyone who would listen,Cups of tea while partner is working his/her backside off,etc etc.
Who would want to work with someone like that?

Nothing worse than having a partner who is not a willing worker and if you are lumbered with them for months and months it is depressing and frustrating to say the least,Managers do not deal with them,They expect the other postie to pull them out of the s**t.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Dexydog »

There's a big difference between takin the piss and working to the book.
So far, no manager has asked me why we can't complete, they're just happy it goes in the end. (I normally complete as my current partner, who is extremely lazy and leaves me to organize everything even though he is the driver, needs to get home for kids).
As seems usual, nice enough bloke,but if I had a company he wouldn't be working for me!
Problem will come if they ever do ask- obviously I don't want to drop someone in it, but at the same time I don't want tarring with the same brush as I'm on probation still.
Recurring theme here though, managers just don't seem to want to tackle underperformers.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by postslippete »

Managers know if they pair up a slower postie with a quicker one then the duty will probably get done with little overtime being claimed. They don't care if someone is quicker at delivering post than someone else, as long as the job gets done. We knew the shared van thing was always going to cause problems. We had one guy who continually used to frustrate his partner by refusing to take any Specials or medium sized parcels and one suspects that he wouldn't use a trolley for this reason. He would take ages on his loop, and would do so deliberately, so that next time he would be wondering if you took some of his work off him. And I can quite honestly say that because on Saturdays - Match Days - he would be off like the friggin clappers. Payback!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Dexydog »

When I started I used to help out if I finished a loop first.
Not a chance anymore I sit in the van and wait- the driver's loops are smaller why should I?
Neither whilst I wait am I doing the parcels he should be doing BECAUSE his loops are smaller to account for this.
This week he is on holiday so I'm doing the driver part.
I will be doing parcels when I can if the other guy hasn't finished the bigger loops.
You quickly learn in this job.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Postie45 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Postie45 wrote:
This "slow" postie is a management issue, not a postman one.
And what exactly can a manager do given the lack of any outdoor performance standards?
NCI?
its their problem to get the mail delivered.... not ours, we have an obligation to work our contracted hours, managers have an obligation to abide to the USO.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

*UPDATE*!

Tuesday: The office Dom wasn't around Tuesday, so one of the Line managers was in charge, this particular manager used to be a nice bloke once upon a time ago when he was a postie 3/4 years ago, however upon being promoted to Line manager and the Doms Tea maker he prefers to s**t and stab his fellow colleagues in the back, I went to him Tuesday and told him I would not be able to complete by my Finnish time due to my colleague struggling with the loops, his reply to me was:
Can you not help him ? To which I replied: Are you going to pay me to do extra work? Which he completely shot down due to no overtime being available in our office, so I kindly told him that I don't work for free and I was not prepared to go over as I needed to Finnish on time, any way he didn't seem
Too happy, obviously gutted he had to earn his bonus ..
I called him at 11:00 and 12pm as Finnish time was 13:00, both times no answer, I then finally got hold of him at 12:40 to which he replied I had to Finnish my duty off as he was "out delivering" wouldn't tell me where and certainly didn't sound like he was out, so I told him I was bringing back what ever we had left to Finnish on time.

Got back no sign of any managers.

THIS MORNING, I got in and was greeted by the DOM
And summoned into his office, apparently the Line manger seems to have put into the doms head that I didn't follow procedure and brought the mail back without clarifying it with him.
So I showed him my dialed numbers on my phone which showed the times I phoned the line manager, I then asked the dom to pull him in so he could repeat what he had already said so I could separate truth from lies, the dom then asked if I would complete today and if I was prepared to go over, i explained to him about my partners work ethic from taking ages to throw the job off, bundling
The time it takes him to complete loops, the thing that annoyed me was he nodded and laughed at every single point I made, and commented: "Your not the first one to tell me that". I then pointed out I have never failed my duty but this week has been the first time due to my partner, the dom nodded and said I'll speak to the "Lino"

So same again, this time though the Lino came out at 1:58!! TO Finnish of remaining loops.
Got back to office at 2:20 over my time...

The problem is if you don't stand up for yourself
Doms and Line managers will walk all over you.

Managers and Doms clearly know what is going on with this colleague.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Smir »

a lot of posties piss me off, they don't help anyone.. which isn't helping themselves.

Went out with a new guy today, and helped him out, and we managed to finish on time.

Explained bits where I thought he might need help.. gave him my number to call me if he got stuck to which he didn't at all..

Yet I'd go out on a new round or something struggle to find places, get back to the van to find the other postie prob sat in there for 15-20 minutes having a nice rest...

work ethic is RM is the worst I've ever seen, people only care about themselves, constantly moan and cry that they won't be able to finish get 2 loops taken off them then wait around at the end for an hour... lol
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

I'd be happy to help out a colleague, but not somebody that takes the absolute piss, my usual partner who is on holiday this week have a great working relationship.

If I Finnish loops before him I'll do the big packets in that area and he does the same, we work really well together but this certain person I'm with this week goes slow on purpose so other posties do extra work for him.

For example I park the van, we have 2 bags to do
Off I go strolling NOT RUNNING, probably 20mins on each bag get back to van to see his bag sat there and him just walking back to the van, the loops aren't that big they are actually nice loops, you could limp round and still have both bags done in 40mins
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

This is why i love the duty i am on now, yes it is one of the biggest walks in the office. But it's a single duty in a van so i can work at my own pace with no partner stresses :nana