ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

WARNING: Record numbers having identity HIJACKED when moving home

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

WARNING: Record numbers having identity HIJACKED when moving home

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/818947 ... fraud-rise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RECORDS numbers of home movers are having their identities hijacked by new residents to commit fraud.

There were 15,851 “previous occupier” frauds last year – up 5.6 per cent on 15,005 reported in 2015.

The scam now accounts for 9.2 per cent of all identity fraud in the UK.

It occurs when the new resident obtains the former occupier’s personal details to fraudulently apply for loans and credit cards.

Now Royal Mail and identity security firm Cifas are urging people to take much greater care when moving.
Royal Mail spokesman wrote:Whether you are renting or buying, taking out a re-direction service reduces the chances of your personal details falling into the wrong hands
They advise shredding financial paperwork before binning it, and updating your new address with companies which send you post.

They also suggest redirection post for at least six months to a year.

Simon Dukes, chief executive at Cifas, said: “Keeping track of your mail when you change address is a simple step that will make a fraudster’s job much more difficult and reduce the opportunities for them to exploit your personal data.”

Some 47 per cent of movers do not take out a post re-direction service when they move, according to Royal Mail.

A spokesman said: “Whether you are renting or buying, taking out a re-direction service reduces the chances of your personal details falling into the wrong hands.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

WARNING: Record numbers having identity HIJACKED when moving home

Post by Newbie001 »

Had it happen to us once. Informed companies I had moved including BT. BT let new occupant reopen account in my name and with this bill they were able to open bank account. Banks and companies should be held to account as well. Obviously not doing proper checks.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

WARNING: Record numbers having identity HIJACKED when moving home

Post by Stormproof »

I've recently moved and have a re-di in place. I think RM also sell on your info because I've had loads of mail from firms I've never ever dealt with.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

WARNING: Record numbers having identity HIJACKED when moving home

Post by yellowbelly »

Stormproof wrote:I've recently moved and have a re-di in place. I think RM also sell on your info because I've had loads of mail from firms I've never ever dealt with.
Probably, there's the usual cross box to mark on the re-dir form if you DON'T want RM to pass on your info to 'carefully selected organisations' companies....! People
probably don't read the full paragraph and think you have to cross the box if you DO want your info passing on.