ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by steve1873 »

Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:in a few years there won't be any non-drivers and each of us will have our own van. :nana :nana
So you'd be happy if Royal Mail got rid of anybody who can't drive?
I Agree with Lounge Lizard, if you don't have a licence they will get rid of you they don't want passengers if you can't drive id advice you to start learning now.
Thanks for the advice Kings. Perhaps you could tell me how RM would go about getting 'rid' of people who can't drive? There is nothing in my contract when i joined the company saying i needed a drivers licence. Offer me a decent EVR and i would go though.
I'm with a non driver I'm forever carrying him going back helping him even though I have reggies and large packets to do, all I can think of he is taking the mick yapping all day to customers. when he is on leave I normally get another driver with me he jumps in the van goes delivering big packets etc using his loaf. Non drivers are a burden in my eyes they do the same thing day in day out not a care in the world. They won't help the driver its a case of I'm alright jack...They want fetching and carrying everyday.
I hope the vehicle log book is filled in prior to each driver handover to reflect the change in driver and to comply with the law.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by Kings Norton »

steve1873 wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:in a few years there won't be any non-drivers and each of us will have our own van. :nana :nana
So you'd be happy if Royal Mail got rid of anybody who can't drive?
I Agree with Lounge Lizard, if you don't have a licence they will get rid of you they don't want passengers if you can't drive id advice you to start learning now.
Thanks for the advice Kings. Perhaps you could tell me how RM would go about getting 'rid' of people who can't drive? There is nothing in my contract when i joined the company saying i needed a drivers licence. Offer me a decent EVR and i would go though.
I'm with a non driver I'm forever carrying him going back helping him even though I have reggies and large packets to do, all I can think of he is taking the mick yapping all day to customers. when he is on leave I normally get another driver with me he jumps in the van goes delivering big packets etc using his loaf. Non drivers are a burden in my eyes they do the same thing day in day out not a care in the world. They won't help the driver its a case of I'm alright jack...They want fetching and carrying everyday.
I hope the vehicle log book is filled in prior to each driver handover to reflect the change in driver and to comply with the law.
What law? There is no law only a Law within Royal Mail. If you buy a van to go to a fruit and veg market every morning or use it as a bakery delivery service you don't need a log book by law so where is this law coming from.. A Law in themselves that's all it is!!!
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by yellowbelly »

Kings Norton wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:in a few years there won't be any non-drivers and each of us will have our own van. :nana :nana
So you'd be happy if Royal Mail got rid of anybody who can't drive?
I Agree with Lounge Lizard, if you don't have a licence they will get rid of you they don't want passengers if you can't drive id advice you to start learning now.
Thanks for the advice Kings. Perhaps you could tell me how RM would go about getting 'rid' of people who can't drive? There is nothing in my contract when i joined the company saying i needed a drivers licence. Offer me a decent EVR and i would go though.
I'm with a non driver I'm forever carrying him going back helping him even though I have reggies and large packets to do, all I can think of he is taking the mick yapping all day to customers. when he is on leave I normally get another driver with me he jumps in the van goes delivering big packets etc using his loaf. Non drivers are a burden in my eyes they do the same thing day in day out not a care in the world. They won't help the driver its a case of I'm alright jack...They want fetching and carrying everyday.
I hope the vehicle log book is filled in prior to each driver handover to reflect the change in driver and to comply with the law.
What law? There is no law only a Law within Royal Mail. If you buy a van to go to a fruit and veg market every morning or use it as a bakery delivery service you don't need a log book by law so where is this law coming from.. A Law in themselves that's all it is!!!
There is a law - Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which requires the keeper of the vehicle to provide information as to the identity of the driver
where an alleged offence has been committed. If RM can't provide that information then individuals within the organisation as well
as the organisation could be found guilty of an offence if negligence is found. Hence by requiring drivers to sign the book they are defending themselves against a possible offence through negligence (of record keeping). That is why RM driver training/handbook requires drivers to sign on a change of driver.

However, I find it strange that if you are changing driver and complete the log book why is there no box to record the time of the driver change. How could
you prove at what point a driver change happened through the mileage travelled/recorded - a bit vague surely?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by NewPostieUK »

Van share has two people, two duties, one driver one passenger. Thats how its meant to work.
jaybee1618
Posts: 13
Joined: 05 Jun 2013, 15:02
Gender: Male

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by jaybee1618 »

oh dear i've seen this before in other jobs the company gets the workers turning on each other people are not all the same what you call lazy may just be the speed that person feels comfortable working at before this s**t system came in their was enough time in the job :no no
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

yellowbelly wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:in a few years there won't be any non-drivers and each of us will have our own van. :nana :nana
So you'd be happy if Royal Mail got rid of anybody who can't drive?
I Agree with Lounge Lizard, if you don't have a licence they will get rid of you they don't want passengers if you can't drive id advice you to start learning now.
Thanks for the advice Kings. Perhaps you could tell me how RM would go about getting 'rid' of people who can't drive? There is nothing in my contract when i joined the company saying i needed a drivers licence. Offer me a decent EVR and i would go though.
I'm with a non driver I'm forever carrying him going back helping him even though I have reggies and large packets to do, all I can think of he is taking the mick yapping all day to customers. when he is on leave I normally get another driver with me he jumps in the van goes delivering big packets etc using his loaf. Non drivers are a burden in my eyes they do the same thing day in day out not a care in the world. They won't help the driver its a case of I'm alright jack...They want fetching and carrying everyday.
I hope the vehicle log book is filled in prior to each driver handover to reflect the change in driver and to comply with the law.
What law? There is no law only a Law within Royal Mail. If you buy a van to go to a fruit and veg market every morning or use it as a bakery delivery service you don't need a log book by law so where is this law coming from.. A Law in themselves that's all it is!!!
There is a law - Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which requires the keeper of the vehicle to provide information as to the identity of the driver
where an alleged offence has been committed. If RM can't provide that information then individuals within the organisation as well
as the organisation could be found guilty of an offence if negligence is found. Hence by requiring drivers to sign the book they are defending themselves against a possible offence through negligence (of record keeping). That is why RM driver training/handbook requires drivers to sign on a change of driver.

However, I find it strange that if you are changing driver and complete the log book why is there no box to record the time of the driver change. How could
you prove at what point a driver change happened through the mileage travelled/recorded - a bit vague surely?
Yellowbelly,
Yes, there is no box to record the time of the driver change but there is a box for the mileage.
So if, for example, one driver does four miles then the other driver does eight miles then if the accident is during the first third of the route the first driver is most likely to blame and if it happens during the remaining two-thirds then the second driver is most likely to blame. :thumbup
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

yellowbelly wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:
DiamondSmiles wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:in a few years there won't be any non-drivers and each of us will have our own van. :nana :nana
So you'd be happy if Royal Mail got rid of anybody who can't drive?
I Agree with Lounge Lizard, if you don't have a licence they will get rid of you they don't want passengers if you can't drive id advice you to start learning now.
Thanks for the advice Kings. Perhaps you could tell me how RM would go about getting 'rid' of people who can't drive? There is nothing in my contract when i joined the company saying i needed a drivers licence. Offer me a decent EVR and i would go though.
I'm with a non driver I'm forever carrying him going back helping him even though I have reggies and large packets to do, all I can think of he is taking the mick yapping all day to customers. when he is on leave I normally get another driver with me he jumps in the van goes delivering big packets etc using his loaf. Non drivers are a burden in my eyes they do the same thing day in day out not a care in the world. They won't help the driver its a case of I'm alright jack...They want fetching and carrying everyday.
I hope the vehicle log book is filled in prior to each driver handover to reflect the change in driver and to comply with the law.
What law? There is no law only a Law within Royal Mail. If you buy a van to go to a fruit and veg market every morning or use it as a bakery delivery service you don't need a log book by law so where is this law coming from.. A Law in themselves that's all it is!!!
There is a law - Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which requires the keeper of the vehicle to provide information as to the identity of the driver
where an alleged offence has been committed. If RM can't provide that information then individuals within the organisation as well
as the organisation could be found guilty of an offence if negligence is found. Hence by requiring drivers to sign the book they are defending themselves against a possible offence through negligence (of record keeping). That is why RM driver training/handbook requires drivers to sign on a change of driver.

However, I find it strange that if you are changing driver and complete the log book why is there no box to record the time of the driver change. How could
you prove at what point a driver change happened through the mileage travelled/recorded - a bit vague surely?
Yellowbelly,
Yes, there is no box to record the time of the driver change but there is a box for the mileage.
So if, for example, one driver does four miles then the other driver does eight miles then if the accident is during the first third of the route the first driver is most likely to blame and if it happens during the remaining two-thirds then the second driver is most likely to blame. :thumbup