ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
-
ewancurze
- Posts: 400
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Strictly speaking the walker should not drive the van (so be carefull),the van has been signed out to the "Driver" not the walker,now I do the same on occasion,me being the non-driver if back from the loop before the driver I will take the van and do some bulk.
If I have an accident they will hang me out to dry I suppose,shame it has to be like that as all you want to do is "the job" and go home.
From Monday I will not drive any more unless I have signed out my own van.
Grinds you down this job.....
If I have an accident they will hang me out to dry I suppose,shame it has to be like that as all you want to do is "the job" and go home.
From Monday I will not drive any more unless I have signed out my own van.
Grinds you down this job.....
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
If they were to offer VR to non-drivers I'm starting to think it might almost be worth losing my driving license just to get it! 
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Only posties who have had " changeover " are allowed to drive the van . If 2 people are driving the van then the log book book should be signed / changed every time the 2 drivers change driving position
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
CDV duties wouldn't work if they weren't fetched and carried. Certainly less efficient.Kings Norton wrote:They want fetching and carrying everyday.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Yes, thanks comradeloverman shabba wrote:s**t company hopefully the non drivers see sense and leave![]()
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
DS,DiamondSmiles wrote:It saddens me that you would seem to be happy in getting rid of fellow colleagues who's only 'sin' is they can't drive. Are we not all in this together anymore? Do you feel the same way if a fellow worker had a disability? Would you advice Royal Mail to get rid of them because they couldn't do a certain job?Lounge Lizard wrote:If royal Mail only want drivers they will find a way of getting rid of the non-drivers.![]()
It's not for me to decide who Royal Mail might want to "get rid of".
RM no longer employs Telegram Boys or Cycle Mechanics that it has no need of.
If numbers are to be cut then those less skilled and less flexible might well be more vulnerable.
I only learnt to drive, at my own expense, in case that skill was useful or necessary for future employment which it now turns out to be.
I know more than most about disabilities and Royal Mail either finds suitable work for such people or no longer employs them.
Last edited by Lounge Lizard on 18 Jun 2017, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
PC,Professor Chaos wrote:Some people are unable to drive for medical reasons. Sad to see you agree with discrimination. Would you say the same if RM wanted to get rid of all black workers ??Lounge Lizard wrote:If royal Mail only want drivers they will find a way of getting rid of the non-drivers.![]()
It's not for me to decide who Royal Mail might want to "get rid of".
RM no longer employs Telegram Boys or Cycle Mechanics that it has no need of.
I only learnt to drive, at my own expense, in case that skill was useful or necessary for future employment which it now turns out to be.
Either Royal Mail needs non-drivers or it doesn't and it would have procedures in place for dealing with surplus staff who are unable to drive for medical reasons just as it does for those with disabilities for whom suitable work can't be found.
And I don't think "Would you say the same if RM wanted to get rid of all black workers ?" merits an answer.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
I was a non-driver or my first 16 months at RM and trust me it's FAR LESS stressful than being a driver. I got dropped off, never had to worry about collecting the specials, keys, van checks, signing van out and organizing packets drops. All I had to do was be dropped off, walk with a bag, wait around having a coffee from the flask and fag to be picked up for the next loop. I got on well with the drivers on the various rounds I learned, being fairly quick, but even so they did start (most of them) saying "when you gonna do you driving course?" because it must've annoyed them a bit seeing me idling around waiting for them. I can understand that, as I felt the same when I got to drive and on a hectic day rushing packet drops coming back to see the walker dozing in the sun....
What some guys would do if they were the were 'quicker' and we worked the same walking pace, was leave the packets until the end and we'd do them together, drop me off carrying one parcel for that road while he did the other, or we'd play 'sides' as he drove back to the office. This meant we took a route back via the round's packets order and whose side of the van the house was on would get out and do it. Naturally some used their imagination and drove back in such a way 75% were on the passenger side but hey, the walking was over and the driver gets a relax to make up for ones you had waiting for him earlier.
I agree however, that for round planning and allocating OPG's that unless a very good reason, all should be able to drive. If you look at any RM adverts in the last 5 years, perhaps longer, 'Post person with driving' is always specified.
What some guys would do if they were the were 'quicker' and we worked the same walking pace, was leave the packets until the end and we'd do them together, drop me off carrying one parcel for that road while he did the other, or we'd play 'sides' as he drove back to the office. This meant we took a route back via the round's packets order and whose side of the van the house was on would get out and do it. Naturally some used their imagination and drove back in such a way 75% were on the passenger side but hey, the walking was over and the driver gets a relax to make up for ones you had waiting for him earlier.
I agree however, that for round planning and allocating OPG's that unless a very good reason, all should be able to drive. If you look at any RM adverts in the last 5 years, perhaps longer, 'Post person with driving' is always specified.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
I think what i am most disappointed with is both LL and Kings have both put 'happy' smilies in their posts when stating they would be glad if some of their colleagues lost their jobs.
Perhaps i have been in the company too long. In the past we supported each other, maybe things are changing now
Perhaps i have been in the company too long. In the past we supported each other, maybe things are changing now
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
DS,
The
followed "each of us will have our own van" and implied no ill will towards any of my non-driving colleagues. 
The
-
Kings Norton
- Posts: 320
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Read my posts again Diamond. I never used the word "Glad" and I have not clicked or put on any smileys. Get your facts right!DiamondSmiles wrote:I think what i am most disappointed with is both LL and Kings have both put 'happy' smilies in their posts when stating they would be glad if some of their colleagues lost their jobs.
Perhaps i have been in the company too long. In the past we supported each other, maybe things are changing now
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
This is a good idea, we do it on busy days, or on parts of the duty that are evenly matched (IE the driver has no time to do packets built in).bustedflush wrote: What some guys would do if they were the were 'quicker' and we worked the same walking pace, was leave the packets until the end and we'd do them together, drop me off carrying one parcel for that road while he did the other,
It's better than the passenger driving for a loop then the driver driving a loop.
On my own duty I am a passenger and never driver. I am often taken off my duty to do the driving on other duties, and I do all the driving. That's the way it's meant to work.
I agree that it's more stressful being a driver but that's not the passengers fault.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Bustedflush at 10am quite rightly commented that NOT driving is FAR LESS stressful than being a driver, just getting dropped off, never having to worry about collecting the specials, keys, van checks, signing van out and organizing packets drops. And then there's all the stress of driving, risk of points on license and being blamed, whether justified or not, for any accident.
I don't think there would be the resentment of non-drivers by drivers IF the £6 a week driving allowance was paid to ALL drivers, not just those who have been driving for more than about a dozen years.
I don't think there would be the resentment of non-drivers by drivers IF the £6 a week driving allowance was paid to ALL drivers, not just those who have been driving for more than about a dozen years.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
Lounge Lizard wrote:Bustedflush at 10am quite rightly commented that NOT driving is FAR LESS stressful than being a driver, just getting dropped off, never having to worry about collecting the specials, keys, van checks, signing van out and organizing packets drops. And then there's all the stress of driving, risk of points on license and being blamed, whether justified or not, for any accident.
I don't think there would be the resentment of non-drivers by drivers IF the £6 a week driving allowance was paid to ALL drivers, not just those who have been driving for more than about a dozen years.
I was never aware of that fact until you just mentioned it.
I do know that a few non-drivers dragged their heels when it came to taking the RM Driving Course - perhaps they cottoned-on by experience that they were happy as they were....
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Van Share gone - Trolleys on the way back.
I'm a driver and I don't find it stressful as me and my p&l partner non driver work together and use lwts on every loop and we haven't carried a bag for about 6 years since p&l and we put parcels and pkts , specials in the bags so we only cover the ground once and you could count on one hand how many times I use the van to deliver stuff , so I cant see a problem unless your carrying bags and delivering parcels out the van to save time ? to do extra work ? why.