hi guys just looking for some advice.
I have only 8 years loyal service but am interested in ill health retirement due to carpal tunnel syndrome.
I have been on sick leave for 5 months odd and have just returned on 4 hour shifts, already my manager is harassing me to build my hours week on week knowing full well I'm still in pain and run the risk of making things worse.
during my 5 months sick ive maintained contact although towards the end refused a face to face to avoid sitting for an hour plus listening to my manager beg and pleed for my return.
lol one phone conversation lasting 45 mins telling me I should not be driving or doing weekly shop etc!
the list goes on!
during my 5 month sick I went on a pre booked holiday of which my manager was aware.
ive returned to be told that I have lost my annual leave,so taken off sick then put back on sick on my return to the uk.
ive now returned as stated on a 4 hour shift, I have been offered no work place adaptions or redeployment and I'm straight back to lifting upto 10kg boxes the entire time.
(snwbc).
The two union guys in my unit really could not give two hoots!
so I'm looking for help on hear, I fear my time is up with royal mail and I need to get out asap.
so will my carpal tunnel qualify me for ill health retirement ?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
carpaL tunnel ihr
-
feduppostie
- Posts: 947
- Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46
carpaL tunnel ihr
to be blunt probably not - it is treatable and I know at least 4 people at our place that have had surgery and returned to normal duties within a month - have you had the surgery?
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
carpaL tunnel ihr
You have not mentioned in your post if you were on an OH Assist referral and if so what was their recommendations ?
-
estelle
- Posts: 194
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
- Gender: Male
carpaL tunnel ihr
Unlikely you'd qualify for IHR.
I've had surgery on both hands, one of which happened during my employment with Royal Mail.
You should ask to be referred to occupational health and see what they recommend. Following surgery, you should be capable of returning to your original duties - however, recovery time can vary and it does take a while to regain strength in your hand. You may find it does instantly relieve the symptoms, if you opt for surgery. For me, it has stopped the pins and needles and constant pain, although instances of "hand fail" or dropping things has not completely vanished.
I've had surgery on both hands, one of which happened during my employment with Royal Mail.
You should ask to be referred to occupational health and see what they recommend. Following surgery, you should be capable of returning to your original duties - however, recovery time can vary and it does take a while to regain strength in your hand. You may find it does instantly relieve the symptoms, if you opt for surgery. For me, it has stopped the pins and needles and constant pain, although instances of "hand fail" or dropping things has not completely vanished.
-
fathairydog
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 05 Jun 2017, 09:41
- Gender: Male
carpaL tunnel ihr
thanx guyz
little more info, yes I have been in contact with oh and they kind of threw it back.
I cannot remember the reason,but they basically said at the time without a deffinate diagnoses there was nothing they could do.
surgery is out of the question due to my ongoing high blood pressure .
little more info, yes I have been in contact with oh and they kind of threw it back.
I cannot remember the reason,but they basically said at the time without a deffinate diagnoses there was nothing they could do.
surgery is out of the question due to my ongoing high blood pressure .
-
estelle
- Posts: 194
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
- Gender: Male
carpaL tunnel ihr
Surgery was done under local anaesthetic - would high blood pressure prevent this?