2 weeks in advance ? Crikey that's almost organised, ours are about 2 hours in advance,given the number of moves people have to make in a morning. They are supposed to be six weeks in advance, but why they can't be a year in advance mystifies me, I've worked for organisations that can do duties a year in advance , with more people and more duties to cover, so why can't we?Jpro747 wrote:You can ask your manager if you can get the day off for the sports day but don't hold your breath. Failing that ask a colleague if they would like to swap. The duty's are put up 2 weeks in advance if you're lucky, but as always subject to change. Welcome to the jungle!!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Starting next week
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
-
The Postman
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Anything you book prior to commencing employment should be honoured. Make sure to inform your manager of any holidays on your first day at the delivery office.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
blanket statements for offices are hard to give, some are reasonably well managed, others you`ll turn up to do duty A one day and get put on duty B, and then an hour later put on duty C. Requests for certain days off can be accomodated, but again depends on the office you go to. One piece of advice is when you start you`ll probably find the going hard, give it at least 3 months though and then see where youre at - a lot of people do leave pretty soon after starting, but the ones that stay do so for a long time. good luck !MissKazzyB wrote:Hi,
I've finally got my contract through the post & im due to start next week. I'm really excited now to start as I've been waiting months for everything to go through.
I have afew questions for anyone that can answer them please :
Do they do a work rota in advance, like a month so I know what day I have off ? My contract is 25 hours each week mon - sat with a day off during the week.
If I wanted a certain day off in afew weeks time to attend my sons sports day at school, am I allowed to request a certain day or am I just given whatever day they say ?
I read that I get life insurance. This is something I've been meaning to get for a long time. Shall I bother to get it now or not bother as RM do it ?
How does the pension work ?
Thanks
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Starting next week
Well if it is anything like our pension it will be wound up with a tidy profit for the few and not the meny!Lounge Lizard wrote:I don't know about life insurance but there's a very generous Death Benefit after quite a few years![]()
and none of us knows when our number's up.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Starting next week
Office repick, someone with more seniority than you fancies your walk.woking wrote: I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Starting next week
More likely will be lost to a part timer who will get to choose before them thanks to RMs new policy to put part timers on walks ignoring seniority!NewPostieUK wrote:Office repick, someone with more seniority than you fancies your walk.woking wrote: I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Good Luck! You've about an 11% chance of being there in 6 months time. According to what they told me at induction.MissKazzyB wrote:Hi,
I've finally got my contract through the post & im due to start next week. I'm really excited now to start as I've been waiting months for everything to go through.
I have afew questions for anyone that can answer them please :
Do they do a work rota in advance, like a month so I know what day I have off ? My contract is 25 hours each week mon - sat with a day off during the week.
If I wanted a certain day off in afew weeks time to attend my sons sports day at school, am I allowed to request a certain day or am I just given whatever day they say ?
I read that I get life insurance. This is something I've been meaning to get for a long time. Shall I bother to get it now or not bother as RM do it ?
How does the pension work ?
Thanks
Then again you've joined just in time before they're reducing the rate for new starters to 2 groats and a bowl of gruel a day.
No sick pay in first 12 months. You should get O/T if you're willing. You've got more chance of the Euromillions jackpot than ever being made full time. At my old office they had an old full-timer embalmed in a glass case like Lenin and you could pay homage to him as you came in or out. Legend has it he was made FT after 42 years, but retired shortly afterwards. There's a bullying and harassment helpline, tattoo that number on your inner wrist if possible. Get some Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, if not allergic take 2 of each as you start your walk the second shift onwards, this pain should wear off within about 2 weeks as your muscles bed in.
Be prepared to imbibe numerous combined anal exhalations if you need to walk down the aisles within the frames when you come in, maybe to meet your partner/driver.
Your first partner may be an eye-roller or tutter if you aren't fast enough. Outside you may see a jumbled pile of these metal grey foldy things rusting away. They were once used to sit on for smoking breaks outside and management caught one postman hooking his bags onto one at my old DO after smuggling it out of the yard in the back of his van, dunno what became of him. Make sure you don't have a weak bladder although in summer you tend to sweat more moisture out than piddle it. Always ensure you have a drink handy, I'd suggest a frozen bottle of water which melts as you walk, unless in Scotland where it won't defrost so use a room temperature drink. Be careful around dogs, and if a manager smiles at you try and avoid them for a few days.
Apart from that it's OK, and good luck, let us know how it went.
-
turfite
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 21 Aug 2016, 17:12
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
I don't get to know my day off for the next week until the Saturday before.
-
MissKazzyB
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
- Gender: Female
Starting next week
Hi guys
So I'm in my second week & im surviving :-)
I'm finding it really hard on my feet/ankles but I know it will get easier. Well I bloody hope so!!
I'm enjoying it so far & have had a really good trainer who's lovely so I'm guessing that has really helped. My manager & the posies that I've met all seem nice too....So far!
My trainer done the rounds with me all last week, sometimes letting me do roads on my own & sometimes shadowing me. I've picked it up really well & becUse of people calling in sick this week, I was put out on my own yesterday & then my trainer came & helped me finish off my duty once he had done his.
I must admit I found it abit lonely this week without him so I took my headphones with me today which made a difference. My days off are on rotation so that's good. Really pleased about that.
So in a nut shell I'm loving the job & getting on well but my feet are the killers :-(((( My feet get soooo hot & feel like they're throbbing :-((
Any tips welcome.
So I'm in my second week & im surviving :-)
I'm finding it really hard on my feet/ankles but I know it will get easier. Well I bloody hope so!!
I'm enjoying it so far & have had a really good trainer who's lovely so I'm guessing that has really helped. My manager & the posies that I've met all seem nice too....So far!
My trainer done the rounds with me all last week, sometimes letting me do roads on my own & sometimes shadowing me. I've picked it up really well & becUse of people calling in sick this week, I was put out on my own yesterday & then my trainer came & helped me finish off my duty once he had done his.
I must admit I found it abit lonely this week without him so I took my headphones with me today which made a difference. My days off are on rotation so that's good. Really pleased about that.
So in a nut shell I'm loving the job & getting on well but my feet are the killers :-(((( My feet get soooo hot & feel like they're throbbing :-((
Any tips welcome.
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
My tip is don't listen to the downers. The vast majority of the men are good to work for and will swap days off to accomadate you as long as you do so to. I've been here 30 odd years and would like to think fellow posties would help out a fellow postie, even for a Saturday or a sports day swap. I know I would.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Starting next week
Good that you seem to be in a decent office, the job can be what you want to make it - good or bad. Officially wearing headphones isn't allowed, I usually have one earphone in with the radio on - that gives me something to listen to while always being able to hear what is going on around me.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
According to the Way Forward agreement the rota's should be visible on noticeboards 2 weeks in advance - however, agreements are rarely adhered to because (insert any excuse here) and therefore many offices simply put their weekly rota up whenever they feel like it.
Ironically, there are some guys who started a few years ago in our office and they have left alone doing their own duties whilst others that started at the same time to be doing different duties every day in different sections. The reason why I don't really know. Its one of the dark mysteries of the postal office. Maybe its because they know the DIM or maybe its because they can't manage to do another duty for whatever reason??
Ironically, there are some guys who started a few years ago in our office and they have left alone doing their own duties whilst others that started at the same time to be doing different duties every day in different sections. The reason why I don't really know. Its one of the dark mysteries of the postal office. Maybe its because they know the DIM or maybe its because they can't manage to do another duty for whatever reason??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
officially yes, but its not likely youre going to get someone coming around to get on you about this. Wouldnt worry about wearing them until my office made a point about not doing so.fb1969 wrote:Good that you seem to be in a decent office, the job can be what you want to make it - good or bad. Officially wearing headphones isn't allowed, I usually have one earphone in with the radio on - that gives me something to listen to while always being able to hear what is going on around me.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Like I said take a couple of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol before you start the walk, takes the edge off the pain - it should go in 2 weeks, 3 max. Sounds like you have a decent office, almost unheard of not be stressed in the first week. You'll find you lose weight too most probably. Beware getting caught with 2-ears of music as it will count against you in any dog incident or accident. You'll find you'll get less abuse and bullying if female generally, so take the 'nice manager' bit and reserve judgement until you're sure - observe how they treat others and make a mental note of it. Identify your rep too, and think about getting in the CWU as you get member benefits such as legal cover and votes etc. on any deals/actions. The biro they give you is crap, but the diary is OK.MissKazzyB wrote:Hi guys
So I'm in my second week & im surviving :-)
I'm finding it really hard on my feet/ankles but I know it will get easier. Well I bloody hope so!!
I'm enjoying it so far & have had a really good trainer who's lovely so I'm guessing that has really helped. My manager & the posies that I've met all seem nice too....So far!
My trainer done the rounds with me all last week, sometimes letting me do roads on my own & sometimes shadowing me. I've picked it up really well & becUse of people calling in sick this week, I was put out on my own yesterday & then my trainer came & helped me finish off my duty once he had done his.
I must admit I found it abit lonely this week without him so I took my headphones with me today which made a difference. My days off are on rotation so that's good. Really pleased about that.
So in a nut shell I'm loving the job & getting on well but my feet are the killers :-(((( My feet get soooo hot & feel like they're throbbing :-((
Any tips welcome.
Glad you're enjoying it, but this is coming up to the quietest (mail wise) and most pleasant (weather wise) 12 weeks of the year - it will get busier. Sounds like you'll have it cracked by then though.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
drugs are bad, just endure the physical strain for now until your body becomes accustomed to it once you get into the swing of things you will be a unstoppable red tank!