ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Getting messed about

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Nicky9177
Posts: 21
Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
Gender: Female

Getting messed about

Post by Nicky9177 »

Hi been working for Royal Mail for nearly 1 year now haven't had another contract to sign yet !
Currently contracted to 24hrs so some weeks I get 4days a week then when the manger feels like it a 5day week and tells me I'll just be owed a day back . Woundering we're I stand with it all as I would like the 4day week due to my disability and him just picking and choosing messes up my counselling sessions can anyone advise
I_Take_My_Breaks
Posts: 55
Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
Gender: Male

Getting messed about

Post by I_Take_My_Breaks »

Nicky9177 wrote:Hi been working for Royal Mail for nearly 1 year now haven't had another contract to sign yet !
Currently contracted to 24hrs so some weeks I get 4days a week then when the manger feels like it a 5day week and tells me I'll just be owed a day back . Woundering we're I stand with it all as I would like the 4day week due to my disability and him just picking and choosing messes up my counselling sessions can anyone advise
The manager can't just pick how many days a week you can do. If you're a 4 days a week job, then you work 4 days a week. NOT 5. What he is doing is using you to save his budget. He gets you to work the extra day when he is short and gives it back to you when he has the staff to cover the job. He is banking hours and this is not allowed. DOM's just think they can get away with this kind of s**t. If you want to work YOUR 5th day as a REST DAY then he pays you for it, otherwise tell him to do one.
Nicky9177
Posts: 21
Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
Gender: Female

Getting messed about

Post by Nicky9177 »

Thanks just not sure we're I stand checked what contract I did sign nearly a year ago and it doesn't say over how many days I do 24hrs so I'm not sure we're I stand now !
Nicky9177
Posts: 21
Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
Gender: Female

Getting messed about

Post by Nicky9177 »

Can I still tell them I'm not working a 5th day then if there put me over 5days my start and finish time will have to change !
I_Take_My_Breaks
Posts: 55
Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
Gender: Male

Getting messed about

Post by I_Take_My_Breaks »

Most contracts are based on number of hours per week and doesn't state the how many days. But is generally accepted that when you join RM you will work x number of hours over y days. In my office part time 25 hour/30 hour contracts are based on 5 days of either 5 or 6 hours, 23.5 hour contracts are based over 3 days at 7.5 hours per day. Every office has their own set up. You have to look at what your set up is in your office. From what you say I would think you are 4 days of 6 hours per day as your manager say he will owe you a day back when you work a 5th day, so you are not on a 5 day week. I would speak to your union rep to clear this up.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Getting messed about

Post by steve1873 »

Regardless of what it says in your contract regarding hours or day, if you are on a 24 hour contract and it is normally spread across 4 days that means you are working 6 hours per day gross (5.5 of actual work as 0.5 hours per day is meal relief).

If they require you to work that over 5 days they cannot just say you will get a day back - they must adjust your working day so that you are working 4 hours 48 minutes per day gross, of which 20 minutes will be your entitled meal relief, leaving you with 4 hours and 28 minutes of actual work per day. I.e. not enough time to complete a delivery in most cases. They must obviously communicate that to you prior to the start of the working week.
Nicky9177
Posts: 21
Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
Gender: Female

Getting messed about

Post by Nicky9177 »

Thanks for the advice Tried speaking to the manger again today and got no where when I asked about my contract I was told not to worry he will just extend my old one I haven't signed or seen any proof of this that's the answer he has gave me for the past 6month I'm on a fixed term and was told it was a trail for 6month it's been a year next month and I have no clue if I will be let go is there a number I could call to go above them all