Hello, first post.
I'm a collection driver (part time) of 5 years now and have just got my Class 2 (Cat C) license so I am looking to further my career in Royal Mail and I will be going for my Class 1 (C+E) in the future.
So I have asked my local Mail Centre if there are any kind of vacancies either on Collections or Distribution. The RM managers have said yes there are on collections currently because of a revision and soon to be on distribution too. The RM collection manager said that he would take me on for 1 or the 10 vacancies but the CWU are blocking it. It's as if the CWU run RM.
The CWU say that there is an agreement to "look after their own first" effectively building the Berlin Wall around the Mail Centre to stop any outsiders. But I recently found out that this 'agreement' was in effect in the old Mail Centre (20yrs ago) but not the new one and that the CWU just use it to look after their own.
Is that allowed? Because at my office, there is no such agreement and we've had people transfer from all around the country. What makes us different to them?
Funny thing is, there have been a few transfer in the recent years from my office to the Mail Centre with no problem. Sometimes I feel as if it's me and it's getting me stressed.
So since the block I am being forced to look outside of RM now when I wanted to spend my career there. Just the lack of opportunity/progression at my local delivery office is nil and for what I want to do as a career is at the Mail Centre or leave RM.
Anyone else experienced this? Is there such a thing as this agreement? Am I being messed about with? Right now my only option is to leave RM.
P.S. I was also told by the CWU that vacancies will NOT be advertised to my office... double shafted!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
-
SUNE17
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 31 May 2017, 22:31
- Gender: Male
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
The procedure for filling specialist posts which you will be looking for on the license that you hold are as follows:SUNE17 wrote:Hello, first post.
I'm a collection driver (part time) of 5 years now and have just got my Class 2 (Cat C) license so I am looking to further my career in Royal Mail and I will be going for my Class 1 (C+E) in the future.
So I have asked my local Mail Centre if there are any kind of vacancies either on Collections or Distribution. The RM managers have said yes there are on collections currently because of a revision and soon to be on distribution too. The RM collection manager said that he would take me on for 1 or the 10 vacancies but the CWU are blocking it. It's as if the CWU run RM.
The CWU say that there is an agreement to "look after their own first" effectively building the Berlin Wall around the Mail Centre to stop any outsiders. But I recently found out that this 'agreement' was in effect in the old Mail Centre (20yrs ago) but not the new one and that the CWU just use it to look after their own.
Is that allowed? Because at my office, there is no such agreement and we've had people transfer from all around the country. What makes us different to them?
Funny thing is, there have been a few transfer in the recent years from my office to the Mail Centre with no problem. Sometimes I feel as if it's me and it's getting me stressed.
So since the block I am being forced to look outside of RM now when I wanted to spend my career there. Just the lack of opportunity/progression at my local delivery office is nil and for what I want to do as a career is at the Mail Centre or leave RM.
It is not a question of " look after their own first" it is a procedure for filling posts within the resourcing area and this manager should not have intimated to you for 1 of the 10 vacancies without knowing the response from his own staff before going outside his own area.
Anyone else experienced this? Is there such a thing as this agreement? Am I being messed about with? Right now my only option is to leave RM.
P.S. I was also told by the CWU that vacancies will NOT be advertised to my office... double shafted!
1) deployment of existing surplus employees with the appropriate skills.
2) Internal advertisement of the job within the resourcing area itself.
3) The acceptance of an existing employee with the appropriate skills from another resourcing area who has previously had his/her name placed on the transfer list for the resourcing area.
4) External advertisement.
-
SUNE17
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 31 May 2017, 22:31
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
I'd be happy with any part time job at the Mail Centre, that way I am in it. And once I'm in, I don't care how long I have to wait for full time or to get on wagons.
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
Rehab Ron is correct with the above post regarding how vacancies are filled. Took me 18 years to get on the class 2 driving.
-
Post69
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 12 May 2017, 09:38
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
They could be a quite simple explanation why you think they are blocking your transfer (which they could well be!) At the moment the mail center I'm in is going through a review and like you delivery postie's are wanting "to get on the wagons", we have vacant MGV duties (about 6 or so)but in order to keep full time driving jobs and maintain earnings with the revision our CWU reps are not actively getting management to fill those duties because then they can use said duty hours when they ask to claw back hours!. You say you are part time and only done 5 year's I've done 30+ "on the wagons" and I've never heard or seen anybody with so little years service jumping the queue? But good luck I hope it works out the way you want it to!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
You'd probably be looking at either 10hr or 12/13hr shifts if you wanted full timeSUNE17 wrote:I don't care how long I have to wait for full time
-
theoldinn
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 25 Jun 2013, 12:23
- Gender: Male
CWU Blocking Transfer, RM say yes to Transfer
Sounds all to familiar. Ive been an HGV agency worker at a DC for 10 years. We have been able to apply for HGV vacancies on 3 occasions, and all 3 times we did not even get an interview (blocked by CWU) even though they did not fill all the positions.SUNE17 wrote:Hello, first post.
I'm a collection driver (part time) of 5 years now and have just got my Class 2 (Cat C) license so I am looking to further my career in Royal Mail and I will be going for my Class 1 (C+E) in the future.
So I have asked my local Mail Centre if there are any kind of vacancies either on Collections or Distribution. The RM managers have said yes there are on collections currently because of a revision and soon to be on distribution too. The RM collection manager said that he would take me on for 1 or the 10 vacancies but the CWU are blocking it. It's as if the CWU run RM.
The CWU say that there is an agreement to "look after their own first" effectively building the Berlin Wall around the Mail Centre to stop any outsiders. But I recently found out that this 'agreement' was in effect in the old Mail Centre (20yrs ago) but not the new one and that the CWU just use it to look after their own.
Is that allowed? Because at my office, there is no such agreement and we've had people transfer from all around the country. What makes us different to them?
Funny thing is, there have been a few transfer in the recent years from my office to the Mail Centre with no problem. Sometimes I feel as if it's me and it's getting me stressed.
So since the block I am being forced to look outside of RM now when I wanted to spend my career there. Just the lack of opportunity/progression at my local delivery office is nil and for what I want to do as a career is at the Mail Centre or leave RM.
Anyone else experienced this? Is there such a thing as this agreement? Am I being messed about with? Right now my only option is to leave RM.
P.S. I was also told by the CWU that vacancies will NOT be advertised to my office... double shafted!
P.s. you're not based in the SW of the country are you ??