ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why I won't bother joining unions

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by robbertwhitton »

And you would want to use your own car to help this firm out because?........?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by clashcityrocker »

robbertwhitton wrote:And you would want to use your own car to help this firm out because?........?
For the same reason most posties use their back instead of the trolley provided.
It is quicker.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Great let's all cut corners and we can makes ourselves redundant
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:Great let's all cut corners and we can makes ourselves redundant
Very True TM. And it's these type of idiots ,who have been blissfully pleasing themselves, doing whatever they feel like for years, who suddenly act all surprised and upset when the redundancies start. "I really loved this job... I can't understand why they've got to make people redundant" :arrrghhh

A Colleague hit the nail on the head the other day, when we were discussing the latest selfish/piss taking act in the office. He said they're the kind of Posties that think, "We'll do as little as possible, for a much as possible and f**k everyone else"!
:cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by nickbsmooth »

I do over 6000miles a year commuting at my expense, RM couldn't pay me to use my car on delivery even if it were an option.
Post69
Posts: 195
Joined: 12 May 2017, 09:38
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Post69 »

I've been a postman for 30 year's and the first week I started the topic of conversation was private cars on delivery we even had the local police on the invitation from the union give a talk to spell it out on how much said people are leaving themselves wide open (insurance wise amongst other things) but postmen/women so I'm told because I'm on the distribution network now still come in early and use there own car's?...... completely mad! And another thing which is mind boggling mad is not joining the union especially at the moment with what potential crap we have cumming our way! If I can give any advice from my years​ in the job is for heaven's sake and your sake join the union!!!!!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Post69 wrote:I've been a postman for 30 year's and the first week I started the topic of conversation was private cars on delivery we even had the local police on the invitation from the union give a talk to spell it out on how much said people are leaving themselves wide open (insurance wise amongst other things) but postmen/women so I'm told because I'm on the distribution network now still come in early and use there own car's?...... completely mad! And another thing which is mind boggling mad is not joining the union especially at the moment with what potential crap we have cumming our way! If I can give any advice from my years​ in the job is for heaven's sake and your sake join the union!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS! Post69. 30 years in the job and your 1st post on RMC :Applause That's Genuine not a piss take mate. Your advice is VERY relevant at this time. IMPO we'll be out on strike over these raids on our pensions... that is if the "Jellyfish" don't vote NO! :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 26 May 2017, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Post69
Posts: 195
Joined: 12 May 2017, 09:38
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Post69 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Post69 wrote:I've been a postman for 30 year's and the first week I started the topic of conversation was private cars on delivery we even had the local police on the invitation from the union give a talk to spell it out on how much said people are leaving themselves wide open (insurance wise amongst other things) but postmen/women so I'm told because I'm on the distribution network now still come in early and use there own car's?...... completely mad! And another thing which is mind boggling mad is not joining the union especially at the moment with what potential crap we have cumming our way! If I can give any advice from my years​ in the job is for heaven's sake and your sake join the union!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS! Post69. 30 years in the job and your 1st post on RMC :Applause That's Genuine not a piss take mate. Your advice is VERY relevant at this time. IMPO we'll be out on strike over these raids on our pensions... that is if the "Jellyfish" vote NO! :cuppa
Well I can't believe some people (sorry for being so blunt) are so dumb and put a thread on why I won't bother joining a union?, Over the years I've had brilliant union reps and some not so good but not once I've ever thought of leaving the union you can't blame the union in general for a rep who doesn't cut the mustard so to speak! Watch and listen to the video that Terry pullinger has just put out and that is one very good reason why we ALL need to be in and support the CWU!,I just normally read this forum as I've never felt the need to put my views​ on it but this "why I won't bother joining unions" is totally crazy IMO!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Creditshampoo »

I take it the OP will be crossing the picket line?
Because if you're not in the union you'll have no choice
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by clashcityrocker »

Creditshampoo wrote:I take it the OP will be crossing the picket line?
Because if you're not in the union you'll have no choice
A non union member can still go on strike.
One still has the choice to not cross the picket line.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Creditshampoo »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:I take it the OP will be crossing the picket line?
Because if you're not in the union you'll have no choice
A non union member can still go on strike.
One still has the choice to not cross the picket line.
Yea and get sacked
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by clashcityrocker »

A non union colleague who refuses to cross a picket line or simply doesn't turn up to work during industrial action can not be sacked.
It even says so on the government website:

Non-union staff and striking
If non-union members go on strike, they are protected from dismissal and have the same rights as union members, as long as the industrial action is lawful.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Dorset Plodder »

clashcityrocker wrote:A non union colleague who refuses to cross a picket line or simply doesn't turn up to work during industrial action can not be sacked.
It even says so on the government website:

Non-union staff and striking
If non-union members go on strike, they are protected from dismissal and have the same rights as union members, as long as the industrial action is lawful.


I suppose what is worse is if a Postie is in the CWU and ignores a picket line to go in to work. We've already got one Dickhead saying, "Well you know I don't agree with striking"! :arrrghhh I suppose it would be different if he was the one on the end of a Disciplinary Hearing and he expected the CWU to support him! :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 29 May 2017, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by Creditshampoo »

You try telling royal mail that
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Why I won't bother joining unions

Post by fishtank »

Engaging with non members can be the difference between winning or losing an industrial dispute, it's important that members don't see them as enemies simply because they don't want to join the union. I've never had a non member blatantly cross a picket line I've been on, that's not to say they haven't gone to other sites to work but there's not much you can do about that these days.

Most non members realise that undermining the industrial action does them no favours and it's up to us to get that message across and avoid an us and them scenario.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share