Hey guys
I have been working for Royal mail for over 3 years, my contract is 21.45 Obviously I do a lot of overtime. Recently I did some over-time on my DAY OFF somewhere else ( different sector )
What happened today is very shocking. My line manager said that I'm not allowed to do any over-time even on my day off somewhere else than my contracted Delivery Office. On top of that he send the e-mail to the other managers I have been working for saying that from today onwards they have to ask him for permission if they want to barrow me.
I do my contract in my contracted DO and I do over-time there as well. But on my day off its easier to do extra hours in the other place coz is closer my home. Can they do that? really? is there any regulation saying something that I have to do over-time only in my sector?? Am i doing something wrong here?
Please help. Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
OVER-TIME
-
plaguelift
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
- Gender: Male
OVER-TIME
FFeeMAN wrote:My hours are under 70 all the time.
My main question is can they ban me from doing extra hours in deferent places on my day off ?
No, I don't think they can. It's your day off after all, you can do what you like. We had a guy in our office who needed (or rather thought he needed) to do nearly 70 hours each week and managed to work his days off in nearby delivery offices. The management were quite happy to use him because of being short staffed, but tried to stop him after a while, telling him he was going to burn himself out. He just went behind their backs and arranged extra work with local managers (local agreement) and they werent able to "ban" him from doing extra.
The only problem was that he DID burn himself out, aggrivated an existing ankle injury, and ended up being unable to work.i hate to say it but the boss was right.
Do some extra if you need to but dont expect any thanks for it. And above all look after your health.
-
FFeeMAN
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
OVER-TIME
I'm not that crazy lol :) my goal is max 50 hours
Problem is that place I'm contracted with is 40 miles away from where i leave ( I just moved a few months ago ). It's a long process to get a transfer so i decided to do my over-time in local DO rather then go 40 miles one way and spend two hours of my time seating in the car. My manager is pissed off because I do over-time but not for him.
Is there any regulation that I have to do over-time in my contracted DO as a priority ?
What they can do if I'll cary on my over-time locally on my day off? could they start a disciplinary procedure ?
Problem is that place I'm contracted with is 40 miles away from where i leave ( I just moved a few months ago ). It's a long process to get a transfer so i decided to do my over-time in local DO rather then go 40 miles one way and spend two hours of my time seating in the car. My manager is pissed off because I do over-time but not for him.
Is there any regulation that I have to do over-time in my contracted DO as a priority ?
What they can do if I'll cary on my over-time locally on my day off? could they start a disciplinary procedure ?
-
raymod
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:30
- Gender: Male
OVER-TIME
I've had this conversation were I was doing overtime in my local d.o and not my contracted d.o if I remember you can't refuse to work your day off at your office and then go and work at another office. Your office is your priority as that is were you are based unless agreed by your manager. Something to do with claiming the hours back as your office as to get the hours back from the other office. As your d.o pays your o/t or something like that. But surely your manager should understand you live Miles away and should be ok with it.
-
FFeeMAN
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
OVER-TIME
raymod wrote:I've had this conversation were I was doing overtime in my local d.o and not my contracted d.o if I remember you can't refuse to work your day off at your office and then go and work at another office. Your office is your priority as that is were you are based unless agreed by your manager. Something to do with claiming the hours back as your office as to get the hours back from the other office. As your d.o pays your o/t or something like that. But surely your manager should understand you live Miles away and should be ok with it.
I think you right. I spoke with them today and they agree to cover my milage if they gonna need me on my day off.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
OVER-TIME
Within the same sector you can travel around delivery offices no problem.
If you start working sector-to-sector, the DSM in your home sector will obviously make the decision where you are best utilised. He's not going to fail walks in his own sector over supporting the other.
My advice, transfer to the delivery office nearest your home.
If you start working sector-to-sector, the DSM in your home sector will obviously make the decision where you are best utilised. He's not going to fail walks in his own sector over supporting the other.
My advice, transfer to the delivery office nearest your home.