OK here goes. This is a bit long winded but please bear with me. For the past 9 years I have been on assignment at a Royal Mail VOC as a class 1 HGV driver via a recruitment agency (agency worker). During this time I have No RTC’s either blameworthy or non-blameworthy, very few infringements & a great attendance record. During the last 6 months I’ve had a speeding ticket, which is now a disciplinary (for Royal Mail employees) but this was never mentioned to agency workers. I also had an incident whereby when I was on a legal rest break, I set my alarm by mistake by an extra hour, so ended up being late to my destination. This incident led to the head of distribution telling my agency that he no longer required my services at the VOC where I was on assignment.
OK now comes the tricky part. 2 weeks prior to being told he no longer required me at the VOC via my agency, I had been lucky enough to secure a part time position with the Royal Mail, and I’d been planning to apply for overtime duties at the VOC on the days I was not working at the depot where I have now been employed. I have sent an email to the head of distribution apologising for my actions that led to his decision (no reply) I’ve also hand delivered a letter to him (no reply) and placed 3 phone calls (no reply). I have now sent an email to his boss explaining all this, in the hope we can come to some agreement whereby I can return to the VOC by applying for overtime duties, and I’ve had no response from this either. Any help anyone can give as to what I can do next would be of great help, as the next step I’m about to take is to email Moya Greene.
PS I know I was an agency employee when this happened. But I’m now a Royal Mail employee, so surely I have some rights ???
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dismissed Agency Worker
-
Destiny
- Posts: 200
- Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
- Gender: Male
- Location: North
Dismissed Agency Worker
This is all for your Rep, chances are you will get nowhere on your own. They will just ignore you unfortunately.
-
theoldinn
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 25 Jun 2013, 12:23
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
I thought id try to resolve this without the need to involve the union. But I'm annoyed with the lack of any response or communication (after all we are a communications company)Destiny wrote:This is all for your Rep, chances are you will get nowhere on your own. They will just ignore you unfortunately.
-
bitterpill
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 20 Nov 2010, 22:48
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
What once was a great company that I was proud to work for is now a s**t one that doesn't give a flying f**k about anyone other than itself. I wish you luck in your journey for answers but I'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Dismissed Agency Worker
And one that sadly lacks even with those employed directly employed by them on a day to day basis feel for you mate just dish the dirt on here after the lack of response and when all avenues are gone. Hopefully venting some of your understandable anger and hindsight will help others who are in your position all the best by the way.theoldinn wrote:I thought id try to resolve this without the need to involve the union. But I'm annoyed with the lack of any response or communication (after all we are a communications company)Destiny wrote:This is all for your Rep, chances are you will get nowhere on your own. They will just ignore you unfortunately.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
You have been fortunate to secure employment direct with RM at another depot although presently it is on a part time basis. Its possible that the head of distribution at the VOC is unaware that you are now employed with RM and contacting the head of distribution in an effort to clear the air due to a minor mistake in your setting of your alarm even though prior to that you had an unblemished record as an agency worker this manager could put the spanner in the works by contacting his counterpart at your depot and give you a bad reference. Stick in with your part time duty at this depot and don't rock the boat to soon and build up a good understanding with the RM manager that employed you and as time is a good healer you may be able to pick up overtime at the VOC on your present manger's recommendation.
-
theoldinn
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 25 Jun 2013, 12:23
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
Ive managed to get a meeting with him tomorrow. ill let you know how it wentDestiny wrote:This is all for your Rep, chances are you will get nowhere on your own. They will just ignore you unfortunately.
-
theoldinn
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 25 Jun 2013, 12:23
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
I now have my contract of employment and officially start with RM tomorrow. I've managed to secure a meeting with him tomorrow as well. ill update you all tomorrowrehabron wrote:You have been fortunate to secure employment direct with RM at another depot although presently it is on a part time basis. Its possible that the head of distribution at the VOC is unaware that you are now employed with RM and contacting the head of distribution in an effort to clear the air due to a minor mistake in your setting of your alarm even though prior to that you had an unblemished record as an agency worker this manager could put the spanner in the works by contacting his counterpart at your depot and give you a bad reference. Stick in with your part time duty at this depot and don't rock the boat to soon and build up a good understanding with the RM manager that employed you and as time is a good healer you may be able to pick up overtime at the VOC on your present manger's recommendation.
-
theoldinn
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 25 Jun 2013, 12:23
- Gender: Male
Dismissed Agency Worker
Just to update you all. I had my meeting with the head of distribution today. And the outcome is that he has agreed, that pending the successful completion of my 3 month probationary period in my new position, he will allow me to return to work at the VOC where I have been for the last 9 years. So happy days 
-
Destiny
- Posts: 200
- Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
- Gender: Male
- Location: North
Dismissed Agency Worker
Your tenacity has won through 