ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
-
wookie
- Posts: 319
- Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Customers are being caught now, and honest postmen/women are being blamed. The PDAs are the only back-up to prove delivery.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Delivery does not mean doorstepping or lob it in the porch who else is watching you when you do that sometimes postmen/women let the service down by saving time at the cost of job's and sometimes it's their own job's at risk by their actions!wookie wrote:Customers are being caught now, and honest postmen/women are being blamed. The PDAs are the only back-up to prove delivery.
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
It's all b*****ks and here's why:
If what he's done is wrong fair enough, BUT this also means that you cannot deliver ANY mail into an unlocked porch.
So at each address that has a letter box in the porch door you must try the porch door, if it's locked post the mail. If it's open, and there's a letter box on the main door - post the mail through that.
If there isn't a letter box in the main door, then as per a parcel you have to knock the door. If they answer, hand over the mail explaining the porch is not secure to receive mail. If there's no answer then endorse it as 'insecure delivery' and take it back. Result = you only get round 1/4 of the round and take back about a third of the mail that you've attempted delivery of, plus the other 3/4 of the round that you haven't had time to do.
And for that reason, it's complete b*****ks that doesn't stand up in any way to logical examination
If what he's done is wrong fair enough, BUT this also means that you cannot deliver ANY mail into an unlocked porch.
So at each address that has a letter box in the porch door you must try the porch door, if it's locked post the mail. If it's open, and there's a letter box on the main door - post the mail through that.
If there isn't a letter box in the main door, then as per a parcel you have to knock the door. If they answer, hand over the mail explaining the porch is not secure to receive mail. If there's no answer then endorse it as 'insecure delivery' and take it back. Result = you only get round 1/4 of the round and take back about a third of the mail that you've attempted delivery of, plus the other 3/4 of the round that you haven't had time to do.
And for that reason, it's complete b*****ks that doesn't stand up in any way to logical examination
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
You have no need to check if a porch is locked if it posts you post it at first point of delivery.ArthurPewty wrote:It's all b*****ks and here's why:
If what he's done is wrong fair enough, BUT this also means that you cannot deliver ANY mail into an unlocked porch.
So at each address that has a letter box in the porch door you must try the porch door, if it's locked post the mail. If it's open, and there's a letter box on the main door - post the mail through that.
If there isn't a letter box in the main door, then as per a parcel you have to knock the door. If they answer, hand over the mail explaining the porch is not secure to receive mail. If there's no answer then endorse it as 'insecure delivery' and take it back. Result = you only get round 1/4 of the round and take back about a third of the mail that you've attempted delivery of, plus the other 3/4 of the round that you haven't had time to do.
And for that reason, it's complete b*****ks that doesn't stand up in any way to logical examination
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
But if you can't leave a parcel in an unlocked porch then you can't leave mail there either. It can't work both ways hence it's a nonsensical policy that doesn't stand up is all I'm sayingYou have no need to check if a porch is locked if it posts you post it at first point of delivery.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32809
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Most don't check the porch door to see if it is locked or not for letters, that could be 100s in some areas on some rounds we (and deffo me) simply do not have the time to check everyone.
And it's not our job either, it's up to the occupier to secure their property, if they have a letter box with an unlocked porch that is their look out.
I can't see any of us getting conducted for not checking if a porch is locked or not, for delivering letters anyway.
And it's not our job either, it's up to the occupier to secure their property, if they have a letter box with an unlocked porch that is their look out.
I can't see any of us getting conducted for not checking if a porch is locked or not, for delivering letters anyway.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
blakeyboy
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Surely if someone's porch is open which is normally your first point of delivery and there is also a letter box on the main door.Are you not then trespassing if you then step into the porch to deliver through the main front door?
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
No.blakeyboy wrote:Surely if someone's porch is open which is normally your first point of delivery and there is also a letter box on the main door.Are you not then trespassing if you then step into the porch to deliver through the main front door?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
I agree, we are not expected to see if a porch door is locked or not. If an address has a letterbox on the porch wall or door and the door appears closed in the door frame, any letters or parcels not requiring a signature can be posted through the porch wall/door letterbox. If the porch door is not closed properly, you should open the porch and try any letterbox on the inner door. If there isn't an inner letterbox, you bring all letters and parcels back endorsed.POSTMAN wrote:Most don't check the porch door to see if it is locked or not for letters, that could be 100s in some areas on some rounds we (and deffo me) simply do not have the time to check everyone.
And it's not our job either, it's up to the occupier to secure their property, if they have a letter box with an unlocked porch that is their look out.
I can't see any of us getting conducted for not checking if a porch is locked or not, for delivering letters anyway.
"Safe place" instructions on Tracked items must comply with our security standards, you should not follow them blindly. If the instruction says "if not in, leave parcel in middle of drive," you obviously should not do that because any passer by can take the parcel. The same applies to opening a porch door and placing the parcel in the porch, don't do it unless you an close the porch door after you and nobody except a key holder can open it afterwards.
Or at least that is my understanding of this can of worms and how I operate.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Personally I 739 everything and think about 100% security. I used to do as OP did and doorstep selectively (eg unlocked porch) but then starting worrying about stuff going missing. I have seen all sorts of dodgy stuff including people going round deliberately looking for door stepped parcels. Thieves can look in sheds / cupboards and nooks also. I also never leave stuff with neighbours in less salubrious areas.
Also I'm rather more partial to a plain or garlic naan myself.
Also I'm rather more partial to a plain or garlic naan myself.
Last edited by woopesh on 10 May 2017, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Is it larger than a bread binpeshwaarinaan wrote:No it was a large packet.Did it go through the letter box?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
No you have an implied right of access to the delivery point - in this case the letter boxblakeyboy wrote:Surely if someone's porch is open which is normally your first point of delivery and there is also a letter box on the main door.Are you not then trespassing if you then step into the porch to deliver through the main front door?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Correct you can't leave mail of any kind in an unlocked porch, but you know its unlocked because you opened it, or it was open when you approached.ArthurPewty wrote:But if you can't leave a parcel in an unlocked porch then you can't leave mail there either. It can't work both ways hence it's a nonsensical policy that doesn't stand up is all I'm sayingYou have no need to check if a porch is locked if it posts you post it at first point of delivery.
If you approach a door and it's shut, it is a reasonable assumption to consider it a secure delivery point. If you then decide to check its secure by attempting to open it, you may be in breach of the law as you will have no reasonable excuse why you opened a door into someone's private property.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
The Postman
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
- Gender: Male
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Interesting stuff this, when I was trained I was told to use the glass bin if possible (If it's out of sight, it's a safe place), prefferably not the recycling bin as it could be easily missed and sent for recycling by the customer. But always post a card to say where you left it. I've heard of other posties signing for signed items that can be posted, and I've been told never to leave a special if there's no-one in.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered
Correct on the Special Delivery.
Everything else is potentially a Conductable offence. You can only leave items in a safe place if the customer has nominated it ( and I would take a photo of the packet and where you put it), a glass bin is not a secure place so posties shouldn't be using them without the sender's consent. Signing for customers recorded item is essentially fraud. Fraud by pretending to be someone you are not, or by saying you handed it over to the customer (or their representative) when you didn't.
Everything else is potentially a Conductable offence. You can only leave items in a safe place if the customer has nominated it ( and I would take a photo of the packet and where you put it), a glass bin is not a secure place so posties shouldn't be using them without the sender's consent. Signing for customers recorded item is essentially fraud. Fraud by pretending to be someone you are not, or by saying you handed it over to the customer (or their representative) when you didn't.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.