ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

grievance

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
newbie2011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 43
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 17:00
Gender: Female

grievance

Post by newbie2011 »

Is all this worth pursing through a grievance. Our 9 day fortnight rounds and our 5 day week rounds, each day is a different finish time due to longs and shorts. As a full timer, when I'm put on a round for a 9 day fortnight duty, for one day or for one week. It's expected that I will do that duty as a 7.48 day, or work the same pattern as a 5 day week (the dom can't decide). But he doesn't agree that every week I have to look at the working patterns, add up all of the total times for each duty I'm on, and then add the odd minutes onto the overtime sheet (as overtime or undertime, depending on rest day). I'm yet to have a week where I owe them minutes, just on the basic days worked with no overtime. Last week was 19 minutes, this week it will be 39 minutes. Next week, it will be 3hrs and 16 minutes. The dom has told me that I don't need to be doing that as it works itself out over the year, and anyway it's only a few minutes here and there. I was quite disgusted by that and told him that's not the case as the rest day is never consistent. I also told him that I think it may be discriminatory towards the person as if I work on the day of a 8.30 duty, I'm to only do it as a 7.20 duty, even though I'm performing the same activities. He told me to come in 15 minutes later and not to do so much ips (which will go down well, especially some days when there's only 3 sorters up!). Also, whilst off on holiday, when I returned, as we've recently had a revision, 6 of the staff - full time and part time 4 days, were given floater duties, one was a full timer with less seniority as myself, so now he is on the rotation where you're not getting screwed over with longs and shorts and know the rest days. Final gripe was that I had recorded down that I needed a day off as an appointment, as I don't know rest days and can't arrange around this. Dom says I can only have the day off if I work a 9 day fortnight round as a 5 day week. When I told him that wasn't fair or right, he said it was. I explained about not knowing rest days etc - deaf ears, lol. I also said that the appointment had actually been cancelled and I don't really need that day off (it's next week and wow, the rota is up!), he then said he'd change the rota. When I told him I'd made social plans, he seemed really annoyed. Is this worth taking through a grievance? Any thoughts or suggestions, although i think it's just the same old story as full time reserves being treated rubbish again.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

grievance

Post by clashcityrocker »

newbie2011 wrote:.... although i think it's just the same old story as full time reserves being treated rubbish again.
I think the revision was implemented without anyone really understanding the ramifications of having different attendance patterns and how that would affect the reserves covering both types.
What does your union rep say?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
newbie2011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 43
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 17:00
Gender: Female

grievance

Post by newbie2011 »

The union rep had rang me this today and said that he'd spoken to dom and i was doing the 4 day pattern on the 4 day duty, then when i get back in the office, the rep had gone, but the dom said that the rep said i wanted to talk to him. i never said that, but started my arguement, said i didn't agree and that i would speak to the rep tomorrow. dom then said i won't get far with the rep. i'll go to area rep if needs be. just worked out, over the course of a year, this time to not worry about, could average out to 25 hours a year.