Postman Peter Dillon said he was shocked and delighted when an entire village came out to say goodbye as he finished his final round.
Residents from the small village of Buckland Monachorum near Tavistock gathered outside the Drake Manor Inn to present the popular postie with a range of gifts.
Peter told The Herald that he started as a postman in 1980, just four months after he moved to Devon from his hometown of Liverpool.
Peter said: "I was definitely shocked."

"I saw the crowd waiting outside the pub and I thought there had been an accident, I had no idea it was for me.
Villagers clubbed together almost £500 to pay for the send-off.
He said: "I got lots of lovely little presents including wine and champagne and lots of cards. I can't thank everyone enough."
Peter was also presented with a personalised painting by local artist Richard Maybe, along with a book filled with memories and messages of thanks.
Peter told The Herald that he and wife Viv are now looking forward to a week-long holiday in the Peak District.

Now that he is retired he said he will spend his time walking, cycling and gardening with his wife.
But he says that if he's ever bored, he's welcome back in the village whenever he wants.
"They've invited me for a meal at the pub and I've been asked round for coffees too," he said.
Local Celia Steven, 76, told The Herald that the community knew that they had to do something to commemorate their favourite postie: "We all clubbed together. He's a much-loved postman who's been with us for 37 years.
"He was an institution, he helped everyone with everything."
She explained: "In most cases your parcel will go back to the sorting office if you're out. But not with Peter, he'd always go above and beyond to help you out.
"Postmen like him are few and far between nowadays."