ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to get lots of free hours!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by daveyeff »

Northblue82 wrote:Some of the experienced posties in our office refuse to take out their lapsing as they would go over when in fact the same posties are the first to finish each day at around 1pm and then come back for OT on collection.
that'll be right.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by tommyrep »

number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by tommyrep »

number one wrote:Another way of getting "free hour" is by being lazy, drag your feet and do hardly any work. Drag one round out till 5pm then book extended delivery. Slower your are the less work you do the more you get paid.
Don't believe it ! What Royal Managers unable to manage and paying overtime to lazy posties?
You should offer them some advice !
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by number one »

tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
Wrong!! Not a chance do I want a pay cut.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by tommyrep »

number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
Wrong!! Not a chance do I want a pay cut.
Ah, gotcha now !
So it suits you to take advantage of being a managers pet, to get first chance of any or all O/T rather than it fairly offered to others, cos they don't mouth off to get
Won't take a pay cut, to be a manager ? Yet you enjoy the benefit of OT like the other "lazy"posties who drag their heels to gain O/T, and YOU have the nerve to criticise them ?
I think you have your snout firmly stuck in the gravy train trough, when your are not brown nosing the dim for OT.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by tommyrep »

number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
Wrong!! Not a chance do I want a pay cut.
Your title of number one is very apt. A product of the selfish yuppies of Thatchers youth no doubt," I'm all right Jack".
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by number one »

tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
Wrong!! Not a chance do I want a pay cut.
Your title of number one is very apt. A product of the selfish yuppies of Thatchers youth no doubt," I'm all right Jack".
Nope wrong!! People like to make assumptions in here don't they. I fight my corner and fight for CWU members. I even help non-members. I am the go to person for advice however I am a realist and straight talker.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by number one »

tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
number one wrote:If I was a manager and had duties to cover I wouldn't be walking around asking everybody who I know don't usually do overtime if they want to do extra I would go to the people who I know will do it. If somebody else wanted the overtime they have a voice and can ask. Making PT to FT would not cover daily sickness.
Spoken like true/real MANAGER, or potentially wanting to be one !
Wrong!! Not a chance do I want a pay cut.
Ah, gotcha now !
So it suits you to take advantage of being a managers pet, to get first chance of any or all O/T rather than it fairly offered to others, cos they don't mouth off to get
Won't take a pay cut, to be a manager ? Yet you enjoy the benefit of OT like the other "lazy"posties who drag their heels to gain O/T, and YOU have the nerve to criticise them ?
I think you have your snout firmly stuck in the gravy train trough, when your are not brown nosing the dim for OT.
Hahaha you really are a clown aren't you. Overtime in my office is done a week in advance and is open to anybody who wants to pit their name forward it is the handed out fairly. Adhoc OT like covering sickness is also open to everyone but not everyone want it. So stop assuming silly boy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/rules.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps a reminder of the rules is needed.

Just because someone has a different viewpoint or political position to you, it does not mean that they are a 'Manager' or a 'Union fanatic', any posts making such assumptions or generalisations will be pulled or amended and the poster warned. This also applies to posts that are not aimed at individuals but at groups.

If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by tommyrep »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/rules.php

Perhaps a reminder of the rules is needed.

Just because someone has a different viewpoint or political position to you, it does not mean that they are a 'Manager' or a 'Union fanatic', any posts making such assumptions or generalisations will be pulled or amended and the poster warned. This also applies to posts that are not aimed at individuals but at groups.

If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
Point taken TBT
Just annoys me when posters openly criticise colleagues as being lazy.
It is up to management to deal with such people IF it is justified, spouting off on this forum only fuels the fire and justifies the actions of many unscrupulous managers within RM.
Too many posters assume the right to condemn others, like the previous poster.
In many cases/instances, these accusers are as guilty of devious actions, only trying to divert attention.
He accused me of Not knowing the facts. Ok, I'm a silly boy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Cheers for that Tommy much appreciated, but it wasn't just you which is why I kept it low key.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by Bahia Feliz »

daveyeff wrote:
Northblue82 wrote:Some of the experienced posties in our office refuse to take out their lapsing as they would go over when in fact the same posties are the first to finish each day at around 1pm and then come back for OT on collection.
that'll be right.
More experienced posties stand up for themselves more,If you don't like it do something about it instead of whining on here!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by bustedflush »

Work hard and reap the rewards. Docket is generally done on a piece-work rate. A necessary evil for the DO to meet delivery obligations. Ghost OT is the happy medium reached over the years, a bit of worker capitalism. If a reserve, who would you want to be paired with - the runner who will drop you back an hour early before they do their docket, or the office snail who can turn dropping letters into 8 lobby boxes in a block of flats into a major ordeal?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by robbertwhitton »

Reading these comments highlights the devided worldvwevworknin within Royal Mail,does anybody back anybody anymore in an attempt to get things done fairly? Yes we are all different,different ages,different ways of working,and the job of the union rep is somewhat of a poison challace,yes do the job as it should be done,but the overtime scandal continues to roll on as and when it suits this company,we never see overtime,see a load of figures on some chart,which means nothing to me,as regard lapsing,do the ours your paid then see what you can or want to do extra for a few quid,I have more than enough to do on my round,and seeing guys have gone home some hour and half before there time is nothing new,they are quick and have smaller rounds I guess???,it is what it is,and have more important issues to deal with than who goes home when,consistentcy within management would help but that's asking too much I guess? Anyway enough of me moaning on,enjoy the Easter break my friends.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

How to get lots of free hours!!

Post by bustedflush »

robbertwhitton wrote:Reading these comments highlights the devided worldvwevworknin within Royal Mail,does anybody back anybody anymore in an attempt to get things done fairly? Yes we are all different,different ages,different ways of working,and the job of the union rep is somewhat of a poison challace,yes do the job as it should be done,but the overtime scandal continues to roll on as and when it suits this company,we never see overtime,see a load of figures on some chart,which means nothing to me,as regard lapsing,do the ours your paid then see what you can or want to do extra for a few quid,I have more than enough to do on my round,and seeing guys have gone home some hour and half before there time is nothing new,they are quick and have smaller rounds I guess???,it is what it is,and have more important issues to deal with than who goes home when,consistentcy within management would help but that's asking too much I guess? Anyway enough of me moaning on,enjoy the Easter break my friends.

I wouldn't say it's 'divided' as such, more like the fact there are 2 kinds of posties.

1. RUNNER - Pros:
The first will realize that by having no/short breaks and walking quick or starburstng with a like-minded colleague that they can either finish early, or finish early and get easy docket at a fixed rate. They soon cotton on to the fact their youth and/or physical state allows them to work like this reliably and thus this becomes their particular niche. Some may do it simply to reduce the time spent there (like I personally did) or some in order to earn more cash by part-ghosting docket. Popular with managers and reserves who like less stress and early finishes.
Cons:
Likely to grizzle like hell at any minor inconvenience that threatens to add 25 seconds to their getting out of the office, not too happy getting paired with inexperienced reserves, kick-off to managers about lapsing because it's Wednesday and that means they will start their docket 1 hour before finishing time rather than the usual 1.5 hours. Likely to demand own van if paired with one of the other type of OPGs described below. Has trouble understanding that their actions encourage managers to pick on slower people and compare the two. Often keen on pastries and betting.

2. WORK TO TIMER:

Pros:
Does things by the book, relaxed and generally good-humoured. Readily informs manager that lapsing will or will not be done in time, or if delivery could exceed hours. Seldom gets arguments about doorstepping or 739's written too hastily etc.

Cons:
Leaves colleague twiddling thumbs when bundled and ready to go while has yet another coffee, depressing when everyone else has left. No time spare for contingencies like traffic problems, often day is doomed as soon as you leave if you need to get to school etc. Totally self-centred, won't help if you need to get back for a reason. Often walks like a crippled ostrich under sedation. Will leave you standing by the van for 15 minutes after each loop, especially when raining. Likely to have generally given up on life. There will be a good few of the RUNNER category who will refuse to be paired with him/her. Will always make sure even minimal work expands to fill the time allowed. Has trouble understanding that if every OPG worked like them that the office would fail due to inefficiency and lack of absorption plus docket necessary to clear DO each day would not be done. Often spends 15 minutes arguing with manager in order to not take out 10 minutes lapsing while you roll your eyes in the background.

Take your pick. Like most people I worked with, I preferred being paired with the former than the latter.