ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
-
Smir
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
I'd understand If people started an hour early so they didn't have to stay later for an hour... depends how often it's happening and if they are working to time or finishing earlier
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
Clocking in machines are the answer , go home early and get paid only for official hours worked
-
Robertdeniro
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
This should be stopped, one day someone will have an accident when they shouldn't be there and the s**t will hit the fan
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
Is this for real??? Please tell me it's a wind up??? Have the lunatics finally taken over the asylum????? Beam me up Scottie!!PHARRY wrote:It's best to throw in D2Ds in own time as it gets done quicker it saves wasting time when throwing in mail or you could take D2Ds home to do there
-
SierraOscarBravo
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
Same story in my office. The usual idiots coming in early or staying behind after their shift to prep in door to door items. This week some of us have 6 or 7 lots but I am not going to work for free prepping in items that should be prepped during paid duty time.peshwaarinaan wrote:I was on a van share today and my co-worker said that they were coming in before their start time tomorrow to throw up some D2Ds. I said well you won't get paid in that case and he said, that's right, we don't get paid for throwing them up so we have to do it in our own time.
Someone please tell me this is not the case!!!!!!
Why oh why come in early putting your own health and safety at risk (You are not insured to be in the building before your start time) just so you can rush around like a lunatic and do more and more lapsing?
Why not just start at the correct time and do the job properly? If you did that there would be no scope to lapse duties as everyone would be working close to their paid hours.
Remember the managers at the top don't give a toss whether you come in early to work for free but if they see you are regularly making time by going home early then you are simply giving them the green light to cut more hours and lapse more duties.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
1. Where does it say you are not insured to be in the building?SierraOscarBravo wrote: You are not insured to be in the building before your start time
Why not just start at the correct time and do the job properly? If you did that there would be no scope to lapse duties as everyone would be working close to their paid hours.
If I arrive at work 20 minutes early because that is the only public transport available to get me to work on time, do I have to stand outside until my start time?
2. I start at the correct time and do the job properly. Today I finished over an hour early. I wasn't the only one. How is there no scope to lapse duties?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
SierraOscarBravo
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
clashcityrocker wrote:1. Where does it say you are not insured to be in the building?SierraOscarBravo wrote: You are not insured to be in the building before your start time
Why not just start at the correct time and do the job properly? If you did that there would be no scope to lapse duties as everyone would be working close to their paid hours.
If I arrive at work 20 minutes early because that is the only public transport available to get me to work on time, do I have to stand outside until my start time?
2. I start at the correct time and do the job properly. Today I finished over an hour early. I wasn't the only one. How is there no scope to lapse duties?
If you are due to commence your shift at 7am then come in at 7am. Simple. If there is a fire in the building at 6.15am or you fall and break your leg at 6.30am then there will be no official record of you being in the building and then you really do open up a can of worms regarding liability.
Lapsing is an extremely poor and inefficient method of saving money. In my office it is the lapsed walks where customer complaints are among the highest. Complaints cost the business a fortune. Door to doors are frequently missed or prepped in the following week due to managers not doing quality control checks. These customers pay to have their door to door items delivered in a specified week. Add on top of that the packets and mail that gets left till the next day or put out on overtime. The savings from lapsing soon evaporate.
There are times when we do finish early but we should still be filling all of our contract hours. That applies to managers and employees alike.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
If I arrive at 6.40 I sign in at 6.40.SierraOscarBravo wrote:
If you are due to commence your shift at 7am then come in at 7am. Simple. If there is a fire in the building at 6.15am or you fall and break your leg at 6.30am then there will be no official record of you being in the building and then you really do open up a can of worms regarding liability.
How is there no official record?
Where can I find all this information about liability?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
visigoth
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 00:07
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
"Employers’ liability insurance covers the cost of compensating employees who are injured at or become ill through work ... If you are an employee and you have suffered an injury at work or become ill as a result of your job, you should speak to your employer who will contact their insurer about making a claim."clashcityrocker wrote:1. Where does it say you are not insured to be in the building?SierraOscarBravo wrote: You are not insured to be in the building before your start time
Why not just start at the correct time and do the job properly? If you did that there would be no scope to lapse duties as everyone would be working close to their paid hours.
If I arrive at work 20 minutes early because that is the only public transport available to get me to work on time, do I have to stand outside until my start time?
2. I start at the correct time and do the job properly. Today I finished over an hour early. I wasn't the only one. How is there no scope to lapse duties?
I'd imagine that insurance companies who wouldn't try to wriggle out of paying out on a technicality are few & far between?
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
sooner the better ,TheTrolleyMan wrote:Clocking in machines are the answer , go home early and get paid only for official hours worked
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
I'm sat home now , my shift starts in an hour but there'll be blokes at my office now who've already done 1 hour of charity / free work
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
It's a common misconception that early starters are not covered but they are.clashcityrocker wrote:If I arrive at 6.40 I sign in at 6.40.SierraOscarBravo wrote:
If you are due to commence your shift at 7am then come in at 7am. Simple. If there is a fire in the building at 6.15am or you fall and break your leg at 6.30am then there will be no official record of you being in the building and then you really do open up a can of worms regarding liability.
How is there no official record?
Where can I find all this information about liability?
Carrying out an employer's business'
In order for an employer to be considered vicariously liable for a work accident compensation claim, the negligent employee must have been carrying out employer's business at the time the work injury was sustained.Taking precedents set in vicarious liability work accident compensation cases that have gone to the UK's higher courts, it would seem that vicarious liability is established in cases where a negligent employee is at work'. This rule generally applies to all work accident compensation claims, even if the negligent employee is carrying out work in a manner which has been expressly forbidden by the employer.
But even then it's not completely cut and dried. If an early starter fell down a hole that wasn't clearly marked then will be able to claim negligence from the employer, but if he injured himself digging the hole, without direct instructions to do so by a manager, because that work is outside his normal employment they would NOT be covered. It's all down to the context of the injury, and the work they are doing, not if they are starting early.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
Royal Mail should not let anybody enter the building before their start time. What if somebody has a major accident or the building went up in flames with people trapped in it. The DOM would end up in jail.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
No lapsing in our office today. We've had a number of posties come back off sick today so we're now overstaffed, believe it or not.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Throwing up D2Ds in own time????
When that happens in my office they still laps and have spare bodies. One time i was spare i moped up the lapsing that was left which was about 2 rows. I was home by 11.30ScousePostie wrote:No lapsing in our office today. We've had a number of posties come back off sick today so we're now overstaffed, believe it or not.