ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Will I lose my job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Will I lose my job

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rubberbond wrote:
fishtank wrote:
iHateD2Ds wrote:How can It be proven.......
Don't know how many times this needs to be said.
Burden of proof is for courts and lawyers, all that's required here is reasonable belief.
What's the missort rate for Tracked items?, even if it was as high as 10% which it isn't that would still leave a 90% probability that the OP had the item, that's reasonable belief.
Well put, demand that they orove it beyond a reasonable doubt. What if you get back from your duty to find the thing on the bench,which is not uncommon, there are so many defences to this absurd process, if only people stopped accepting management bullying
I know its being pedantic but "Reasonable Belief" and "Reasonable Doubt" are 2 connected but entirely different definitions:

A reasonable belief is simply that, on balance with the information provided a reasonable person with the same information would come to the same decision. There is no legal level of evidence or proof needed. Whereas "Reasonable Doubt" means that if the evidence provided in a case does not remove all reasonable doubt then you must find the person not guilty.

As an example see the picture below. For an employment tribunal or a conduct code the level of guilty would be somewhere between "Perhaps" and "Suspected".

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Robtor
Posts: 104
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
Gender: Male

Will I lose my job

Post by Robtor »

fishtank wrote:What's the missort rate for Tracked items?, even if it was as high as 10% which it isn't that would still leave a 90% probability that the OP had the item, that's reasonable belief.
Except.....you have 20 tracked items in a day, each of them having a 90% chance in getting to you, suddenly the odds arent quite the same that one didn't get to you?

Not that I'm arguing it's likely, just pointing out the error in the logic there. ...so my post here was a bit pointless.

To the OP, as everyone else has said, don't worry about it, happens all the time here and it's not even worth a 2nd thought.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Will I lose my job

Post by clashcityrocker »

Robtor wrote: To the OP, as everyone else has said, don't worry about it, happens all the time here and it's not even worth a 2nd thought.
I disagree. I have known people lose their jobs for this.
The customer has paid for a service. If I have read the original post correctly he has already been counselled for failing to properly doorstep scan Tracked items.
Coached, counselled ....the next step is conduct and it could lead to dismissal.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Will I lose my job

Post by rubberbond »

Dismissal for that is palpably absurd. Surely no one has been sacked,unless it was wilful? Even that has lost its edge as deliveries fail to go out on a regular basis at a lot of D.O.'s, plus managers holding back packets that they can't cover,especially at Christmas, talk about double standards.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Will I lose my job

Post by fishtank »

rubberbond wrote:Dismissal for that is palpably absurd. Surely no one has been sacked,unless it was wilful? .
The problem with a missed scan is that it can easily become a denial of receipt if the customer inputs the tracking number into the system and realises that it hasn't been delivery confirmed.

A denial of receipt is a judgment call for a manager, If they believe the customer they have an item that was scanned into the delivery office, on the balance of probability made it to the duty but didn't get delivered. Where did it go?, Is it reasonable to believe it was both misdelivered and a failure to scan? or would it be more reasonable to believe that it's a case of postal theft?

All the time this decision making process is taking place pressure is being applied by the DSM to reduce customer complaints, Is it time to make an example of someone?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share