ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bullying culture from managers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Bullying culture from managers

Post by steve1873 »

postypie wrote:I used to do lapsing whenever I could but would never 'rush' round a delivery (like some do) in order to do lapsing within my duty time(cutting corners leads to accidents)!!
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
You work with some utterly selfish cretins.

Do what you feel you can do and if it the snidey comments continue, then request that management put a stop to it. If that fails then put a grievance in against the participants and also the manager.

Best of health to you Sir! :thumbup
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Bullying culture from managers

Post by robbertwhitton »

Am happy to do extra within my duty time,after I have completed my own round,I'm not one to commit before I go out to do my round which my boss hates,oh well,who knows what's going to happen on my duty,taking mail out seems a commitment?sobif a round needs to be lapsed I do it when I get back but usually it's done by people who want to get done and home, an hour and half early,and we then get chastised!!oh well then sack me,?not the best way to manage,and I haven't time to ring my boss and engage about penny pinching money issues versus workplace morale etc etc,bring the rounds up to date by testing them as they should be done,not the corner cutting way they want it to be done until something goes wrong!
world class male
Posts: 906
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Bullying culture from managers

Post by world class male »

steve1873 wrote:
postypie wrote:I used to do lapsing whenever I could but would never 'rush' round a delivery (like some do) in order to do lapsing within my duty time(cutting corners leads to accidents)!!
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
You work with some utterly selfish cretins.

Do what you feel you can do and if it the snidey comments continue, then request that management put a stop to it. If that fails then put a grievance in against the participants and also the manager.

Best of health to you Sir! :thumbup
1st of all, sorry about your illness, kind of puts things into perspective reading this, we have lazy posties and a area rep who dances for the manager and its those who put effort in to do the job end up in a worse position, though after reading your post i'd gladly take your lapsed bit to shut them up
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Bullying culture from managers

Post by robbertwhitton »

Lance Jack wrote:Managers bully because they do not have the correct skills, or back up from above, to manager properly. Management in Royal Mail is a broken system. Nobody wants to be "that manager" who says to the one above him it cant be done, we don't have the resources to do what you request, so they muddle through with the job outstripping their skills.
We all know s*** rolls downhill but the opposite side of that is responsibility goes uphill, the higher they are the more they have to deal with and for most of them they cant so they resort to bullying.
Spot on that man!! Well put!