ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bullying culture from managers
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
But does this level of bullying exist in Proceesing ?
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
TheTrolleyMan wrote:But does this level of bullying exist in Proceesing ?
Does it bugger! Night-shift guys don't have a manager at our place. They have cut back and the staff still get the work done but without all the hassle of someone trying to change or muck things up with daft work plans. There also isn't the issue of cutting off because they work fixed times like 12-10am for example. And then they go home.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Lance Jack
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
Managers bully because they do not have the correct skills, or back up from above, to manager properly. Management in Royal Mail is a broken system. Nobody wants to be "that manager" who says to the one above him it cant be done, we don't have the resources to do what you request, so they muddle through with the job outstripping their skills.
We all know s*** rolls downhill but the opposite side of that is responsibility goes uphill, the higher they are the more they have to deal with and for most of them they cant so they resort to bullying.
We all know s*** rolls downhill but the opposite side of that is responsibility goes uphill, the higher they are the more they have to deal with and for most of them they cant so they resort to bullying.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
No it was just as bad before privatisation they have always bullied
the main problem is its a very high pressure environment and the linos and DOMS do not have the experience to deal with simple management problems,so just bully you.Being good and competent is seen as weekness this is the culture .
the main problem is its a very high pressure environment and the linos and DOMS do not have the experience to deal with simple management problems,so just bully you.Being good and competent is seen as weekness this is the culture .
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
A great deal of the problems in delivery offices are created by line managers trying desperately to justify there own jobs, If the resourcing is planned properly there should be very little for a line manager to do other than deal with any unforeseen absence. Of course if line managers are standing around doing nothing it becomes pretty obvious that there are far too many of them in the business and they could easily be replaced by team leaders at a fraction of the cost.
So...what they tend to do is spend half the morning lighting fires ( pointlessly moving staff around and generally noising people up ) and the other half of the morning putting those fires out. This makes them in their eyes crucial to the smooth running of the office. What they do when we leave the office is a mystery, probably Candy Crush.
So...what they tend to do is spend half the morning lighting fires ( pointlessly moving staff around and generally noising people up ) and the other half of the morning putting those fires out. This makes them in their eyes crucial to the smooth running of the office. What they do when we leave the office is a mystery, probably Candy Crush.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
daveyctvr
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 18:33
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
Thanks...ive printed it off. Its going on my frame tomorrow morning.Dorset Plodder wrote:This is very good Daveydaveyctvr wrote:This just sums it up...I wonder how many people will think it's just another CWU statement, like I did.
It's a shame that most Managers are probably following some sort of script like this.... from the "Little Black Book of Bullshit". Issued when they initially attend Management Training.
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
Like any other walk of life bullies only get away with it if you let them, many times have seen weak union reps turn a blind eye, especially in smaller offices.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
]Spot on very good post.Couldnt agree more they create their own jobs effectivly through conflict .fishtank wrote:A great deal of the problems in delivery offices are created by line managers trying desperately to justify there own jobs, If the resourcing is planned properly there should be very little for a line manager to do other than deal with any unforeseen absence. Of course if line managers are standing around doing nothing it becomes pretty obvious that there are far too many of them in the business and they could easily be replaced by team leaders at a fraction of the cost.
So...what they tend to do is spend half the morning lighting fires ( pointlessly moving staff around and generally noising people up ) and the other half of the morning putting those fires out. This makes them in their eyes crucial to the smooth running of the office. What they do when we leave the office is a mystery, probably Candy Crush.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
JOB AND FINISH WRECKED THE JOB and that was before privatisation giving runners licence to undermine the job.That is really what started the problems making out as if being fast is a skill of some sort we actually made one massive rod for our backs.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
Unreal but not a big surprisedaveyctvr wrote:This just sums it up...
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
It proves it when there's no Manager, for whatever reason, and Surprise.. Surprise ... All the mail gets delivered regardless.fishtank wrote:A great deal of the problems in delivery offices are created by line managers trying desperately to justify there own jobs, If the resourcing is planned properly there should be very little for a line manager to do other than deal with any unforeseen absence. Of course if line managers are standing around doing nothing it becomes pretty obvious that there are far too many of them in the business and they could easily be replaced by team leaders at a fraction of the cost.
So...what they tend to do is spend half the morning lighting fires ( pointlessly moving staff around and generally noising people up ) and the other half of the morning putting those fires out. This makes them in their eyes crucial to the smooth running of the office. What they do when we leave the office is a mystery, probably Candy Crush.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
I used to do lapsing whenever I could but would never 'rush' round a delivery (like some do) in order to do lapsing within my duty time(cutting corners leads to accidents)!!
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
eat well , stay positive, my thoughts are with you buddy,postypie wrote:I used to do lapsing whenever I could but would never 'rush' round a delivery (like some do) in order to do lapsing within my duty time(cutting corners leads to accidents)!!
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
the clowns in your office can eat a lemon
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
I got a call from my manager saying "oh that mail you left in the frame when you cut off this morning is being taken out for you to deliver as it's a light day" don't give a toss sorry guv it'll take me over my time
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Bullying culture from managers
That was an emotional post ; and a great post.postypie wrote:I used to do lapsing whenever I could but would never 'rush' round a delivery (like some do) in order to do lapsing within my duty time(cutting corners leads to accidents)!!
Since being diagnosed with cancer (and getting weaker by the month it feels) I no longer can do overtime and certainly not lapsing (much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues).
I would do it if I could but have all on just doing my duty...and by the time I am done I am physically and mentally beat.(I have even been physically sick on duty due to the meds I am on).
Not much support or sympathy from most of my work colleagues (with the exception of a few who have been great).
Sometimes I get comments from colleagues like this...'you look ok so why can't you do lapsing'.....'oh I've got blood pressure so why can't I be excused from lapsing too'...our old cwu rep used to shout out in front of all my work colleagues....'oh such and such is excused from lapsing so such and such is next on the list'...(made me feel great)...honestly I truly wish I didn't have cancer but I am lumbered with it until it sends me to an early grave but I could do without comments such as above at this time of my life...my managers(and one cwu rep..other one ignores me more or less) have been pretty supportive(certainly not bullies) as they know what's really going off with me but on the shop floor its dog eat dog and one and one or two of them are always fishing for information about my cancer condition from my best mate who works with me which annoys him as well as myself because its so unnecessary at this stage of my life.
You are quite correct. It is 'dog eat dog' and sadly will always be. These people should be ashamed of themselves. But they wont be. (how sad is that)
At a previous office their was one guy on 'family friendly'. So he started and finished earlier , so he could pick up his child (who had certain problems).
OPG's actually complained as according to them ' the child did not look that sick and that he got special treatment'
Makes me despair