If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Leaving packets with neighbour?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Leaving packets with neighbour?
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
So you saying we can't deliver parcels, but think that letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade. Not much hope for the Royal Mail with that thinking. I for one try to get rid of every packet.Lounge Lizard wrote:If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
The easy one is when you have parcels for two neighbours. Take both parcels to the first house, if they answer give them their parcel and ask if they'll take the second one if they're not int. If the first house isn't in, take both parcels to the second house and try there. But other than that I tend to not deliver-to-neighbour all that much ... Well unless a neighbour appears whilst I'm waiting and offers to take it.Surreypostie wrote:Delivery to neighbour takes time, if I have time I do it, if we are running late or have told them we are cutting off I don't even consider it as we are up against it already.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Of course Royal Mail can deliver parcels. It's had a Parcel Post since the 1880s, over a century before all these new courier companies entered the market.Gazza47 wrote:So you saying we can't deliver parcels, but think that letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade. Not much hope for the Royal Mail with that thinking. I for one try to get rid of every packet.Lounge Lizard wrote:If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
The question is whether Royal Mail wants to deliver parcels properly and securely.
I'm unsure what you mean by "letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade" but if "I for one try to get rid of every packet" means stooping to the worst practices of our competitors then I doubt what future Royal Mail has. .
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Lounge Lizard wrote:Of course Royal Mail can deliver parcels. It's had a Parcel Post since the 1880s, over a century before all these new courier companies entered the market.Gazza47 wrote:So you saying we can't deliver parcels, but think that letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade. Not much hope for the Royal Mail with that thinking. I for one try to get rid of every packet.Lounge Lizard wrote:If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
The question is whether Royal Mail wants to deliver parcels properly and securely.
I'm unsure what you mean by "letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade" but if "I for one try to get rid of every packet" means stooping to the worst practices of our competitors then I doubt what future Royal Mail has. .
I'm saying that if you take d2d and packets off your walk can you honestly say the job commands 10+ an hour!!! Think compared to others in the same sector the answer is a resounding no.
-
theargyspy
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: UK
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Guess I didn't explain myself very well, this is starting to happen multiple times on my delivery, people who would once have taken packets in are now refusing. The reason isn't because we (royal Mail) are asking, it's because half a doz different couriers are asking every dayGazza47 wrote:That's just one person you write on the frame log not to go there, it's simple but do you stop trying neighbours on all your round just for one person? Seems to me a lot of people look for excuses not to do something rather than just getting on with it.theargyspy wrote:Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
I don't think you have this the right way round, as far as my experience goes, more and more of the neighbours are getting cheesed off with the constant knocking of couriers, etc. Asking if they can take in a packet for a neigbour. One house I knocked at, the guy who answered the door ( Who in the past has quite happily taken in packets for neighbours) asked me not to knock again unless the packet was for him, he works from home and has answered the door four times already that morning with requests from couriers & he was not getting any work done
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
I hear what you're saying Gazza, but there is a flip side to that point of view. I've found a lot of customers get fed up with the level of service from many of our competitors. There has to be a Happy medium between, "Deliver at all Costs" & "Docket EVERYTHING"!Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
Deliver to Neighbours: I'll often give it a try but it has to remain the prerogative of the Postie. No way am I walking up a bloody great driveway, finding no one in trying the neighbour & then walking back to deliver a Card telling them where it is.
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 16 Mar 2017, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Dorset Plodder wrote:I hear what you're saying Gazza, but there is a flip side to that point of view. I've found a lot of customers get fed up with the level of service from many of our competitors. There has to be a Happy medium between, "Deliver at all Costs" & "Docket EVERYTHING"!Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.I'm Old School , and we were trained Security First. Just because some manger is trying to increase his bonus payment I'm not going to start door stepping parcels everywhere.
![]()
Deliver to Neighbours: I'll often give it a try but it has to remain the prerogative of the Postie. No way am I walking up a bloody great driveway, finding no one in trying the neighbour & then walking back to deliver a Card telling them where it is.In a "Coronation Street Scenario" it's easy, but often it's a pain in the Arse.
Agree that there needs to be a happy medium, plus we all know which households hammer the Amazon deliveries everyday, you tend to find that if you delivering a packet to an address for the first time they are in as they expecting a delivery. It's the multiple buyers that are a pain in the arse, and like someone above said their neighbours get sick of answering the door to us as well.
For me it needs some forward thinking re process, maybe a cut off in the number of packets an address can receive during a given week, when that limit is reached any further packets stored at delivery office and a note posted to collect the items on a Saturday morning ( can ring before if expecting urgent items ) this would be so simple to introduce and save a lot of hassle. But then again common sense never simple.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Gazza47 wrote: For me it needs some forward thinking re process, maybe a cut off in the number of packets an address can receive during a given week, when that limit is reached any further packets stored at delivery office and a note posted to collect the items on a Saturday morning ( can ring before if expecting urgent items ) this would be so simple to introduce and save a lot of hassle. But then again common sense never simple.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Leaving packets with neighbour?
I don't understand you now.Gazza47 wrote:Lounge Lizard wrote:Of course Royal Mail can deliver parcels. It's had a Parcel Post since the 1880s, over a century before all these new courier companies entered the market.Gazza47 wrote:So you saying we can't deliver parcels, but think that letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade. Not much hope for the Royal Mail with that thinking. I for one try to get rid of every packet.Lounge Lizard wrote:If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
The question is whether Royal Mail wants to deliver parcels properly and securely.
I'm unsure what you mean by "letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade" but if "I for one try to get rid of every packet" means stooping to the worst practices of our competitors then I doubt what future Royal Mail has. .
I'm saying that if you take d2d and packets off your walk can you honestly say the job commands 10+ an hour!!! Think compared to others in the same sector the answer is a resounding no.
We all know that Door To Doors and packets are part of the job but what's that got to do with doing the job properly ?
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Your confused!!! Where did anyone say anything about doing the job properly.Lounge Lizard wrote:I don't understand you now.Gazza47 wrote:Lounge Lizard wrote:Of course Royal Mail can deliver parcels. It's had a Parcel Post since the 1880s, over a century before all these new courier companies entered the market.Gazza47 wrote:So you saying we can't deliver parcels, but think that letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade. Not much hope for the Royal Mail with that thinking. I for one try to get rid of every packet.Lounge Lizard wrote:If the round can't be completed at a decent pace during the working day then there's no time for going to neighbours.Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
The question is whether Royal Mail wants to deliver parcels properly and securely.
I'm unsure what you mean by "letters demand a 3£ an hour greater pay grade" but if "I for one try to get rid of every packet" means stooping to the worst practices of our competitors then I doubt what future Royal Mail has. .
I'm saying that if you take d2d and packets off your walk can you honestly say the job commands 10+ an hour!!! Think compared to others in the same sector the answer is a resounding no.
We all know that Door To Doors and packets are part of the job but what's that got to do with doing the job properly ?