ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question re households

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gazza47
Posts: 32
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
Gender: Male

Question re households

Post by Gazza47 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Gazza47 wrote: Don't know if it's just me but it's an absolute pain throwing in
Why are you throwing in when you are on 25 hr contract?

As for Door to Doors, personally, if there are more than that days prepped, I assume I'm to take only to houses that have mail. In the unlikely event that only that days have been prepped, I'll take them all, or ask partner or duty holder.

Never do 25 maybe because I am quite quick so I throw in multiple walks.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Question re households

Post by bustedflush »

I wouldn't complain - they're all thrown in for you, simply take them where you're going. This means over the duty as a whole 90% will be delivered by Thursday, standard practice in the office I worked in. The throwing-in of letters is a non-argument: simply throw the mail/flats into the frame sticking out a couple of inches so you know which slots to bundle up. Nobody wants to be delivering households on Fri/Sat - seldom did I ever see any left on a Sat.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Question re households

Post by postslippete »

And you know it would be so easy to take the flyers where you are going if all your delivery points in your frame had single slots.


The only duties in our depot that have single slots in their frames are either the business rounds or the ones with rural farms :shhhhh
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Gazza47
Posts: 32
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
Gender: Male

Question re households

Post by Gazza47 »

postslippete wrote:And you know it would be so easy to take the flyers where you are going if all your delivery points in your frame had single slots.


The only duties in our depot that have single slots in their frames are either the business rounds or the ones with rural farms :shhhhh
So true, takes ages bagging up if you trying to pull out just where you are going with double slots.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Question re households

Post by Dorset Plodder »

eastie wrote:I just bundle them in 20's and leave them at the back of the bundle and feed from the back. This is better for throwing off the rest of the mail in the frame.
If this works for you fine. :thumbup In the past it has been frowned upon, because some Posties (who are not as conscientious as you) used this as an opportunity to simply bin all their bundled households as they were walking past a convenient skip! :no no

I've always been very suspicious when I've seen Posties putting bundles of households into their bag and saying, "I'll sort them as I'm walking around". :shock: However it's not my job to challenge them and I believe the DOMs are meant to check that households are actually being throw off into the frames (another box to tick for their bonus). :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)