Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
Yes.
Personally, I take all my 40-minute break now. Weirdly I think I actually finish earlier taking my break than I do when I didn't, its like a recharge or a refuel. I have more energy for the 2nd half, and feel less tired in the afternoon.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
Yes.
Personally, I take all my 40-minute break now. Weirdly I think I actually finish earlier taking my break than I do when I didn't, its like a recharge or a refuel. I have more energy for the 2nd half, and feel less tired in the afternoon.
Me too. I don't understand these people working through it and stressing themselves out.
If they ever did take paid breaks off us I'd guarantee the biggest moaners in our office would be the ones who don't take it.
We also have shared duties where one takes a break and one doesn't. However the one that doesn't sits on his frame waiting for the other one, who is in the canteen, then claims his break as OT at the end because he's not had his break! And he gets away with it. Unbelievable!
In his eyes all the work is done and van is ready to go but he can't do anything while his partner is in the canteen. So he'll sit on his frame, have a smoke, stroll round having chats with people.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
No you can claim 15 minutes half of your meal relief at the end of the day as you do not do more than 7 hours a day.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
You could potentially claim for the 10 minutes because the other 20 minutes are compulsory same as for the FT people.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
You could potentially claim for the 10 minutes because the other 20 minutes are compulsory same as for the FT people.
Says half not 20 minutes no specified time says half in the WAY FORWARD AGREEMENT.
The splitting a 30 minute break thing is a grey area, the only national agreement on breaks states that only breaks of 40 minutes or more can be split but it does make allowances for local agreement. There would have to be a specific local agreement in place though so it's not just a case of I'll do what I want. In most cases I wouldn't imagine management would have a problem with it but if they put up a fight you're on shaky ground.
k979aaa wrote:
Says half not 20 minutes no specified time says half in the WAY FORWARD AGREEMENT.
But that position is superseded by the statutory requirement for at least a 20-minute break somewhere in the middle of the working day if you are expected to work for 6 hours or more.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
You could potentially claim for the 10 minutes because the other 20 minutes are compulsory same as for the FT people.
You could still claim 20 mins meal relief as a 30 hour pt as overtime if you finish bang on your time if you have no break.
As a local agreement could state you only get 10 mins before leaving office putting you on par with ft
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
gb93 wrote:
You could still claim 20 mins meal relief as a 30 hour pt as overtime if you finish bang on your time if you have no break.
No you cant.
If RM pay you overtime for not taking your statutory break then they are officially recognising that they haven't given you the opportunity to take a break. The 20 minute statutory break must be taken somewhere in the middle of the working day, they can't force you to take it, but they can assume you have.
In other words, you can't be paid overtime for a statutory break at the end of your shift because Royal Mail and any other employer cannot officially give you the statutory break at the end, and if they pay you overtime for it, they are.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
gb93 wrote:
You could still claim 20 mins meal relief as a 30 hour pt as overtime if you finish bang on your time if you have no break.
No you cant.
If RM pay you overtime for not taking your statutory break then they are officially recognising that they haven't given you the opportunity to take a break. The 20 minute statutory break must be taken somewhere in the middle of the working day, they can't force you to take it, but they can assume you have.
In other words, you can't be paid overtime for a statutory break at the end of your shift because Royal Mail and any other employer cannot officially give you the statutory break at the end, and if they pay you overtime for it, they are.
They do therefore they can.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
Samsonite18 wrote:So to clarify if your on a 30h week and you work through your break you can't claim. You can only claim for working past your finish time.
You could potentially claim for the 10 minutes because the other 20 minutes are compulsory same as for the FT people.
You could still claim 20 mins meal relief as a 30 hour pt as overtime if you finish bang on your time if you have no break.
As a local agreement could state you only get 10 mins before leaving office putting you on par with ft
I am not saying it is right or I agree with it but it happens.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
gb93 wrote:
You could still claim 20 mins meal relief as a 30 hour pt as overtime if you finish bang on your time if you have no break.
No you cant.
If RM pay you overtime for not taking your statutory break then they are officially recognising that they haven't given you the opportunity to take a break. The 20 minute statutory break must be taken somewhere in the middle of the working day, they can't force you to take it, but they can assume you have.
In other words, you can't be paid overtime for a statutory break at the end of your shift because Royal Mail and any other employer cannot officially give you the statutory break at the end, and if they pay you overtime for it, they are.
They do therefore they can.
They may indeed "do", but they shouldn't. If it comes to light as an H&S issue after a serious accident or some form of Tribunal, then the Manager could be in a world of hurt. Make hay while the sun shines because I doubt it will last forever.
People can bash you over the head with a bat, it's still against the law.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.