All the Young Punks (New Magnums and Part Time contracts)bertieboy wrote:All the young punks?clashcityrocker wrote:Face front you got the future shining
Like a piece of gold
But i swear as we get closer
It look more like a lump of coal
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What is it like being a postie in London
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
What is it like being a postie in London
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
Last time I was in London a cup of coffee cost me a tenner and yet my t-shirt was only £6. I remember thinking that if I spilt some on my shirt I would have been really annoyed to get some shirt on my coffee 
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
coffee for a tenner ? must have been at some kind of event, i find London typical store prices pretty standard to be honest.postslippete wrote:Last time I was in London a cup of coffee cost me a tenner and yet my t-shirt was only £6. I remember thinking that if I spilt some on my shirt I would have been really annoyed to get some shirt on my coffee :chuckle
-
fat_mike
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Sep 2007, 16:55
What is it like being a postie in London
Sounds the same as the shared van deliveries in my officelightningpostman wrote:hardwork.
6 hour delivery sound good to you?
between 800-1000 pods?
if you do transfer post back and let others know
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
What is it like being a postie in London
Posties in london are far worse off than those in cheaper parts of the country. Factor in housing and cost of living and your little bit of london weighting doesnt go far. Id say be careful what you wish for!
-
Dantheunit
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
Depends on the office, generally bigger offices/ offices that have undergone revisions are far worse off. Try and speak to someone who works in the office before transferring, because driving around I sometimes see postmen slogging it out well into the afternoon on a Saturday. Also consider whether you mind climbing stairs because the senior men tend to snap up the roads very quickly.
Council Estate-ish walk- Lower volume workload/ more stairs, escalators, druggies.
More Resedential road Walk- Higher workload- more catalouges & more parcels, but depending on your preference you may get around it faster.
The main differences to consider imo, in London you don't get away alot of the cowboy stuff they do in the sticks i.e. Geting out stupidly early ( before 9am)
finishing way before your time, using golf trolleys, using a bicycle, doorstepping, not securing trolleys etc... also vans are hard to come by, and most inner London offices won't have anywhere for you to park your car.
You can go to another offices for OT fairly easily so long as you're not picky, But if there is OT available in your office they probably will make very difficult for you to go to another one.
Good Luck.
Council Estate-ish walk- Lower volume workload/ more stairs, escalators, druggies.
More Resedential road Walk- Higher workload- more catalouges & more parcels, but depending on your preference you may get around it faster.
The main differences to consider imo, in London you don't get away alot of the cowboy stuff they do in the sticks i.e. Geting out stupidly early ( before 9am)
finishing way before your time, using golf trolleys, using a bicycle, doorstepping, not securing trolleys etc... also vans are hard to come by, and most inner London offices won't have anywhere for you to park your car.
You can go to another offices for OT fairly easily so long as you're not picky, But if there is OT available in your office they probably will make very difficult for you to go to another one.
Good Luck.
-
fat_mike
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Sep 2007, 16:55
What is it like being a postie in London
Thanks that was really informativeDantheunit wrote:Depends on the office, generally bigger offices/ offices that have undergone revisions are far worse off. Try and speak to someone who works in the office before transferring, because driving around I sometimes see postmen slogging it out well into the afternoon on a Saturday. Also consider whether you mind climbing stairs because the senior men tend to snap up the roads very quickly.
Council Estate-ish walk- Lower volume workload/ more stairs, escalators, druggies.
More Resedential road Walk- Higher workload- more catalouges & more parcels, but depending on your preference you may get around it faster.
The main differences to consider imo, in London you don't get away alot of the cowboy stuff they do in the sticks i.e. Geting out stupidly early ( before 9am)
finishing way before your time, using golf trolleys, using a bicycle, doorstepping, not securing trolleys etc... also vans are hard to come by, and most inner London offices won't have anywhere for you to park your car.
You can go to another offices for OT fairly easily so long as you're not picky, But if there is OT available in your office they probably will make very difficult for you to go to another one.
Good Luck.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
Few years ago when they went on strike in London some managers I know came back saying the rounds they did were easy taking 3 hours max, quite funny cos I did not believe one word they said 
-
fat_mike
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Sep 2007, 16:55
What is it like being a postie in London
They timed one of the biggest rounds in my office and didn't like the results so they timed it several more times and got the same results and finally they had to admit it was too bigwalkthewalk wrote:Few years ago when they went on strike in London some managers I know came back saying the rounds they did were easy taking 3 hours max, quite funny cos I did not believe one word they said
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
Postie45 wrote:coffee for a tenner ? must have been at some kind of event, i find London typical store prices pretty standard to be honest.postslippete wrote:Last time I was in London a cup of coffee cost me a tenner and yet my t-shirt was only £6. I remember thinking that if I spilt some on my shirt I would have been really annoyed to get some shirt on my coffee
Nope and £5.50 for a pint as well! Daylight Robbery!! Spent the weekend eating/drinking only at McDonalds as it was the only place where we actually got "value for money".
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
fat_mike
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Sep 2007, 16:55
What is it like being a postie in London
You ate at McDonalds. That's not very healthypostslippete wrote:Postie45 wrote:coffee for a tenner ? must have been at some kind of event, i find London typical store prices pretty standard to be honest.postslippete wrote:Last time I was in London a cup of coffee cost me a tenner and yet my t-shirt was only £6. I remember thinking that if I spilt some on my shirt I would have been really annoyed to get some shirt on my coffee
Nope and £5.50 for a pint as well! Daylight Robbery!! Spent the weekend eating/drinking only at McDonalds as it was the only place where we actually got "value for money".
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
What is it like being a postie in London
Got to disagree with you there mike - there's a lot of nourishment in horses bollocks.fat_mike wrote:You ate at McDonalds. That's not very healthypostslippete wrote:Postie45 wrote:coffee for a tenner ? must have been at some kind of event, i find London typical store prices pretty standard to be honest.postslippete wrote:Last time I was in London a cup of coffee cost me a tenner and yet my t-shirt was only £6. I remember thinking that if I spilt some on my shirt I would have been really annoyed to get some shirt on my coffee
Nope and £5.50 for a pint as well! Daylight Robbery!! Spent the weekend eating/drinking only at McDonalds as it was the only place where we actually got "value for money".
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
What is it like being a postie in London
With or without a chilli dip http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... i-dip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.