http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... r-12601314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris Morling had worked for the Royal Mail for 35 years when he lost his job in 2015
A manager at the Royal Mail who was sacked following 35 years of service has received tens of thousands of pounds after it was found that he was wrongfully dismissed.
Chris Morling, from the Rhondda, received the payout after being accused of withholding information and not reporting it.
Postal manager Mr Morling, 53, who lost his job in 2015, received a payout of £39,000.
He said: “I’ve been a long-standing and loyal employee of Royal Mail since I was a teenager, with no record of misconduct, so being accused of something I didn’t do was a kick in the teeth.
“When I found out I’d been fired I couldn’t believe it.”
It began in May 2015, when Mr Morling discovered there were issues in the office that had been going on since 2012.
According to Thompsons Solicitors, who helped him receive his pay-out, Mr Morling immediately told his senior management. However, he was then accused of withholding the information before reporting it. He was then dismissed as a result of the allegations.
Following his dismissal, he worked part-time as a painter and decorator and relied on financial help from of his family to cover his living costs.
He then contacted his union, Unite’s legal services, and Thompsons Solicitors for employment law advice.
Mr Morling added: “What’s more, management had no concrete evidence against me yet I was still pushed out of my job.
“I was even told in court that I had followed all of the procedures correctly.
“I had to sell my car at a loss and I still struggle financially – if it wasn’t for the help of my family I don’t know how I would have coped.
“I didn’t think I stood much of a chance against a household name like the Royal Mail, but thankfully I had the backing of my trade union and Thompsons to represent me.”
The settlement was reached on July 19 last year, and Brian Scott, from the union Unite, said: “This is a significant victory for our member who was wronged even though he had given more than three decades of his life to the Royal Mail.
“Instead of properly investigating the allegations, his employer made unfounded assumptions that Chris was guilty and dismissed him without considering the effect it would have on his livelihood.
“As a Unite member, Chris’ legal rights were protected and ensured his employer was held to account for mistreating him. Royal Mail must learn from the tribunal verdict in Chris’ claim and must not do this again.”
A spokesman from the Royal Mail said: “Royal Mail followed all its procedures in this matter. We do not comment on individual cases.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72732
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
that's a laugh....''Royal Mail must learn from the tribunal verdict and not do this again''....BOLLOCKS!! that's twice recently they've done this without reinstating as they should have. Dave Mitchell was the other bloke. they are getting away with murder. sacking people without proper evidence. they should be brought to boot and either forced to reinstate or pay ten years wages. C***s 
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
He would know exactly what was on the cards.
He was a part of the same machine for many years- it would appear. How many fabricated cases has he plottedduring his time as a manager working for RM attacks on posties?
. It was fortunate for him, that Unite backed him and used first class experienced solicitors( I know from past experience) with a sound knowledge of pressing claims on behalf of wronged workers. CWU take note, and start challenging the corrupt HR grievance procedures currently in use. Biased ! does not even begin to describe it.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
39K isn't much compensation, little over a years salary? How does that reflect the loss of livelihood?
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
Was going to say that , with the loss of RM income up to the age of 65. £39K seems a small amount.39K isn't much compensation, little over a years salary? How does that reflect the loss of livelihood?
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Rhondda manager awarded GBP39,000 after he was wrongfully sacked by the Royal Mail
The tribunal will look at his ability to work, whether he will be able to find a similar job with a similar salary, the number of years he has till he can obtain a state/royal mail pension, and assess a suitable award based on this criteria and any costs in relation to the unfair dismissal and the effects this may have upon him. His solicitors would have employed barristers who would have reached an agreement with the tribunal and made a recommendation as to whether the award reflects fair compensation for the unfair dismissal. The final agreement to the compensation lies with the aggrieved manager.