ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
-
SierraOscarBravo
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Our Work Place Coach does very little in the way of training others. What he does do, however, is help the DOM offload new housing developments onto existing walks that are already too big and even worse helps the DOM abolish walks and then add hundreds of delivery points onto other walks - apart from his own of course.
The WPC also gets away with doing no lapsing. He is a runner and cuts corners. He regularly makes time but being the WPC he is able to keep things favourable for him. Anyone else does his delivery and he is around like a shot making sure they don't 'ruin' his job.
The WPC also gets away with doing no lapsing. He is a runner and cuts corners. He regularly makes time but being the WPC he is able to keep things favourable for him. Anyone else does his delivery and he is around like a shot making sure they don't 'ruin' his job.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
I would jump at the chance of being one. They should be the posties first port of call with any delivery questions/problems.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Well that seems unanimous then? Basically £30 a week for doing bugger all. Surprised we haven't had any WPCs springing to their defense. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Queeg500
- Posts: 37
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 11:24
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
I agree, it's bad management. In my last office the workplace coach really put in the effort, even if he saw me doing something wrong after 2 years he'd correct me, he would often be last back because he was helping out new starters. Current coach is awful, he gets angry when he has to do any coaching because it "cuts into his time", our DOM really needs to have a word with him, but he just lets it happen.Phantom wrote:It's the not the work place coach's fault if Managers don't utilise their role correctly, it's purely down to crap management, as is most things wrong with Royal Mail. Managers should be made part time and that would save millions!
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Ha!! Yep it's not for me,I don't have the time or the incentive to be one,knowing full well to train someone to do the job properly safely and securely will take them too long to complete there round and we can't have that in this climate! The Dom will have a sesure,and have a go at me ,best left well alone and sweep issues under that good old carpet !!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
I have been asked in the past to become a WPC and a Manager. The offer of management I turned down because the culture and style within Royal Mail is too poisonous and too target orientated. I doubt most have heard of the sweet spot on a Venn diagram.
I opted not to become a WPC for different but related reasons. The WPCs are caught between a rock and a hard place. They are meant to be there to train new starters, and to train everyone on new processes and anyone that managers think needs their training updated. All sounds good on paper, however, WPCs aren't responsible for finding work, they should be assigned it. That means lazy managers pass on managerial tasks (such as counselling, customer complaints and tracking errors) to avoid confrontation.
So WPCs not being used by correctly by management, and using them to "bollock" OPGs, means that the Posties see them as bosses narks and not doing enough for the extra money they get. Is it worth the extra £36 a week to get moaned at, and looked down at by both managers and posties. I didn't think so, and this thread just reinforced that belief.
As a side note its also the reason I try not to give ours grief when they need a least a small measure of empathy.
I opted not to become a WPC for different but related reasons. The WPCs are caught between a rock and a hard place. They are meant to be there to train new starters, and to train everyone on new processes and anyone that managers think needs their training updated. All sounds good on paper, however, WPCs aren't responsible for finding work, they should be assigned it. That means lazy managers pass on managerial tasks (such as counselling, customer complaints and tracking errors) to avoid confrontation.
So WPCs not being used by correctly by management, and using them to "bollock" OPGs, means that the Posties see them as bosses narks and not doing enough for the extra money they get. Is it worth the extra £36 a week to get moaned at, and looked down at by both managers and posties. I didn't think so, and this thread just reinforced that belief.
As a side note its also the reason I try not to give ours grief when they need a least a small measure of empathy.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Months go by and still no training by any wp coach , thats a hellava lot f money over a year , a complete waste of money . £30 odd a week and paid it on hols , should be paid only if they train someone, as the hassle you get if you want to claim your overtime is a joke . How much saving s would that be all over the uk .?
-
gunnerj
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 14 Oct 2016, 15:24
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Looking at these responses , really looking forward to my interview tomorrow
, I get on well with colleagues and management , if I get the job it doesn't mean I will turn into an r sole overnight .
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
They're not all bad , we have three in our office and at least one of them is alright,the other two,I wouldn't pay in used bus tickets. They're about as much use as piles on a jockey.gunnerj wrote:Looking at these responses , really looking forward to my interview tomorrow, I get on well with colleagues and management , if I get the job it doesn't mean I will turn into an r sole overnight .
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Weve 4 at over£120 a week between them for doing same as us , pretty bad waste of money moya
-
Supersonicvandriver
- Posts: 19
- Joined: 28 Jun 2010, 17:42
- Gender: Female
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
THIS IS THE BEST SAVING RM CAN MAKE. I hope they do cut it as ive never seem them do out. I wonder how much money nation wide is lost on this waste of money defo.
-
Stunl3y
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
We have 2 in our office , one has been long term sick and hasn't done a solitary thing as a coach and the other needs coaching himself and has also done not one single thing. Personally I feel they shouldn't get anything unless they actually do something.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
Not overnight, more like about a fortnight.gunnerj wrote:Looking at these responses , really looking forward to my interview tomorrow, I get on well with colleagues and management , if I get the job it doesn't mean I will turn into an r sole overnight .
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
we need MSE's Martin Lewis to coach Moya on how to save ££Millions, like scrap wpc, graduates , lino's etc. 
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Get Rid of Work Place Coaches
This is the main issue for me having been taken to 'task' by a WPC some of these things, safe to say I didn't react too well to her/his way of questioning.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have been asked in the past to become a WPC and a Manager. The offer of management I turned down because the culture and style within Royal Mail is too poisonous and too target orientated. I doubt most have heard of the sweet spot on a Venn diagram.
I opted not to become a WPC for different but related reasons. The WPCs are caught between a rock and a hard place. They are meant to be there to train new starters, and to train everyone on new processes and anyone that managers think needs their training updated. All sounds good on paper, however, WPCs aren't responsible for finding work, they should be assigned it. That means lazy managers pass on managerial tasks (such as counselling, customer complaints and tracking errors) to avoid confrontation.
So WPCs not being used by correctly by management, and using them to "bollock" OPGs, means that the Posties see them as bosses narks and not doing enough for the extra money they get. Is it worth the extra £36 a week to get moaned at, and looked down at by both managers and posties. I didn't think so, and this thread just reinforced that belief.
As a side note its also the reason I try not to give ours grief when they need a least a small measure of empathy.
I just couldn't accept it coming from a WPC rightly or wrongly but in my opinion a Manager should deal with these things.
It divides the workforce too.