ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail attitude to "On Application"declared health problems, TERRIBLE!
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3291
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
every employer legally obliged to employ certain % of disabled persons btw
-
bexley129
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
For those who believe I did not read the job description correctly, I quote below the extract from the advert (Same wording still being used on present adverts), I fail to see where it states that I will be pushing a HC trolley weighing up to 105KG for 7 hours!
Incidentally at NO TIME did I expect "Sick Pay" from RM as one contributor has accused me of, I am fully aware that there is a one year qualification period.
Another contributor suggests that I have been stupid for applying so many times, I fail to see that any one who is seeking gainful employment, rather than being a leech on society, should be criticised in this way! I eventually achieved an interview and got the job! (Unfortunately not within the criteria advertised)
I truthfully thought I could cope with the "job as advertised", I also thought RM would provide weather proof clothing on day one but found myself after two days of rain and snow having to buy my own. I was told so many people leave RM in the first few weeks that only basic warm weather clothing is issued.
I can not see any fault on my part, I was 100% truthful on application, I gave 100% effort even though my "actual job", and its physical demands, was in complete deference to the job description . RM employ around 160,000 people, they have been given an award by the Government for disability awareness/employment, sorry, I feel let down by them.
I must say I now have a new found respect for Postman, its hard work and not greatly paid. I believe its harder than working for Parcelforce!
Onwards and upwards I will find employment again!
"You’ll start your day in the local delivery office, sorting the mail for your route. You will then need to complete the necessary checks on your vehicle, guidance on how to complete these checks will be covered during your initial training, before joining a colleague in a shared van to start your round. You’ll each be given a hand-held computer device to capture customer signatures for deliveries and the round will take around four hours to complete. Light weight trollies are supplied to carry your mail as you walk on foot between delivery points. You will move to new delivery areas throughout the day, driving your vehicle in a responsible manner and parking safely at all times before returning back to the delivery office."
Just a suggestion RM,I think you should have a serious look at your Job Description and its impact on people who have no prior experience as a Postman.
Incidentally at NO TIME did I expect "Sick Pay" from RM as one contributor has accused me of, I am fully aware that there is a one year qualification period.
Another contributor suggests that I have been stupid for applying so many times, I fail to see that any one who is seeking gainful employment, rather than being a leech on society, should be criticised in this way! I eventually achieved an interview and got the job! (Unfortunately not within the criteria advertised)
I truthfully thought I could cope with the "job as advertised", I also thought RM would provide weather proof clothing on day one but found myself after two days of rain and snow having to buy my own. I was told so many people leave RM in the first few weeks that only basic warm weather clothing is issued.
I can not see any fault on my part, I was 100% truthful on application, I gave 100% effort even though my "actual job", and its physical demands, was in complete deference to the job description . RM employ around 160,000 people, they have been given an award by the Government for disability awareness/employment, sorry, I feel let down by them.
I must say I now have a new found respect for Postman, its hard work and not greatly paid. I believe its harder than working for Parcelforce!
Onwards and upwards I will find employment again!
"You’ll start your day in the local delivery office, sorting the mail for your route. You will then need to complete the necessary checks on your vehicle, guidance on how to complete these checks will be covered during your initial training, before joining a colleague in a shared van to start your round. You’ll each be given a hand-held computer device to capture customer signatures for deliveries and the round will take around four hours to complete. Light weight trollies are supplied to carry your mail as you walk on foot between delivery points. You will move to new delivery areas throughout the day, driving your vehicle in a responsible manner and parking safely at all times before returning back to the delivery office."
Just a suggestion RM,I think you should have a serious look at your Job Description and its impact on people who have no prior experience as a Postman.
Last edited by bexley129 on 31 Jan 2017, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
At the end of the day, a delivery role is a physical job, LWT or not.
Good luck with your future job hunts.
Good luck with your future job hunts.
-
theargyspy
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: UK
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
Can see what your saying reference the job description it sounds like the Disney version of our job, written, no doubt by someone having never actually done the job, unfortunately as previously stated it is a physical job and it is only, by all accounts going to get more so. The postmen who have been doing the job for years, some up to forty years Plus, are usually trying to get the "easier" inside jobs before they get to retirement age.bexley129 wrote:For those who believe I did not read the job description correctly I quote below the extract from the advert (Same wording still being used on present adverts), I fail to see where it states that I will be pushing a HC trolley weighing up to 105KG for 7 hours!
Incidentally at NO TIME did I expect "Sick Pay" from RM as one contributor has accused me of, I am fully aware that there is a one year qualification period.
Another contributor suggests that I have been stupid for applying so many times, I fail to see that any one who is seeking gainful employment, rather than being a leech on society, should be criticised in this way! I eventually achieved an interview and got the job! (Unfortunately not within the criteria advertised)
I truthfully thought I could cope with the "job as advertised", I also thought RM would provide weather proof clothing on day one but found myself after two days of rain and snow having to buy my own. I was told so many people leave RM in the first few weeks that only basic warm weather clothing is issued.
I can not see any fault on my part, I was 100% truthful on application, I gave 100% effort even though my "actual job", and its physical demands, was in complete deference to the job description . RM employ around 160,000 people, they have been given an award by the Government for disability awareness/employment, sorry, I feel let down by them.
I must say I now have a new found respect for Postman, its hard work and not greatly paid. I believe its harder than working for Parcelforce!
Onwards and upwards I will find employment again!![]()
"You’ll start your day in the local delivery office, sorting the mail for your route. You will then need to complete the necessary checks on your vehicle, guidance on how to complete these checks will be covered during your initial training, before joining a colleague in a shared van to start your round. You’ll each be given a hand-held computer device to capture customer signatures for deliveries and the round will take around four hours to complete. Light weight trollies are supplied to carry your mail as you walk on foot between delivery points. You will move to new delivery areas throughout the day, driving your vehicle in a responsible manner and parking safely at all times before returning back to the delivery office."
Just a suggestion RM,I think you should have a serious look at your Job Description and its impact on people who have no prior experience as a Postman.
Good luck with your hunt for a job. I hope you find one that suits you and you look back and realise in time how lucky you were that you got out from RM before you made your back worse
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
This advert relates to a full time contract. Most rounds take at least 2 hours to prep and up to 3 on busy days. Add 4 hours delivery (joke) and 40 minutes break, you have a full days work. This job description amounts to 3 hours standing whilst prepping and includes lifting mail trays and packet bags. All this before you even step out on the street for another 4 hours plus pushing fully laden L/W trolley around. Over 4 hours I was walking a distance of 10 miles plus. I was doing this at 65 years of age over a period of two years (previously bicycle which was far easier). If retirement had not arrived the job would have become impossible. I had already been under ATOS and Occupational Health for musculoskeletal problems. (knackered back and knee problems). There should be a fitness proviso put on this advert.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
You should have come to our office.
One meeting with the DOM or his boss in one of their famous `sick surgery's` and you would be able to leap over a tall building.
One meeting with the DOM or his boss in one of their famous `sick surgery's` and you would be able to leap over a tall building.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
bexley129
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
Well I received my P45 today after a few weeks of RM blanking me. I was offered two options : RM take me down the "Official Medical Report " path ,then dismiss me as being unable to perform my duties ( The new version of duty),OR voluntarily resign. Having chose the latter, matters are now concluded.
For the benefit of any one thinking of joining RM with a health condition (Declared on application) thinking that their "Disability Confident Logo" means that they are an Employer with some sympathy towards you, THEY ARE NOT! Below I have shown a very brief extract from my "Resignation" that I had sent to RM Human resources(By recorded mail
) after they had ignored me!
Judging by the interaction of "Contributors" on this site ,RM is becoming a very unhappy place to work, having initially been very pleased to find employment with RM, I now think my situation may be a blessing in disguise, my observations indicate that RM are heading for serious confrontation with their work force !
I AM CONFIDENT THAT THERE ARE THOSE ON THIS SITE THAT WILL BLAME ME FOR THIS SITUATION ,BUT INTELLIGENT READING OF THE FACTS WILL PROVE OTHERWISE,REMEMBER I DECLARED MATERIAL FACTS !
QUOTE FROM RESIGNATION
As it would appear I have no future with Royal Mail could you at least have the decency to communicate with me and provide my P45 so that I may seek alternative employment elsewhere?
For the benefit of future prospective employees, I would urge Royal Mail to write accurate job descriptions, so that they relate to the specific vacancy, and not rely on a “Disney story” generic description that has no relationship to some vacancies.
It is now apparent that the usage of the “Disability Confident” Logo, with the consent and approval of the DWP, appears to be little more than an attempt to “Impress customers” (Gillon`s analysis, Disability News Service report).It is a sad fact that Royal Mail are under no obligation to employ or help with a disability within the work force, again with the approval of the DWP, and of course by Royal Mail only having applied for level 2 membership they are able to self assess and avoid being validated by an external organisation!

For the benefit of any one thinking of joining RM with a health condition (Declared on application) thinking that their "Disability Confident Logo" means that they are an Employer with some sympathy towards you, THEY ARE NOT! Below I have shown a very brief extract from my "Resignation" that I had sent to RM Human resources(By recorded mail
Judging by the interaction of "Contributors" on this site ,RM is becoming a very unhappy place to work, having initially been very pleased to find employment with RM, I now think my situation may be a blessing in disguise, my observations indicate that RM are heading for serious confrontation with their work force !
I AM CONFIDENT THAT THERE ARE THOSE ON THIS SITE THAT WILL BLAME ME FOR THIS SITUATION ,BUT INTELLIGENT READING OF THE FACTS WILL PROVE OTHERWISE,REMEMBER I DECLARED MATERIAL FACTS !
QUOTE FROM RESIGNATION
As it would appear I have no future with Royal Mail could you at least have the decency to communicate with me and provide my P45 so that I may seek alternative employment elsewhere?
For the benefit of future prospective employees, I would urge Royal Mail to write accurate job descriptions, so that they relate to the specific vacancy, and not rely on a “Disney story” generic description that has no relationship to some vacancies.
It is now apparent that the usage of the “Disability Confident” Logo, with the consent and approval of the DWP, appears to be little more than an attempt to “Impress customers” (Gillon`s analysis, Disability News Service report).It is a sad fact that Royal Mail are under no obligation to employ or help with a disability within the work force, again with the approval of the DWP, and of course by Royal Mail only having applied for level 2 membership they are able to self assess and avoid being validated by an external organisation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
But surely an applicant has to consider whether they are physically fit enough for a role in delivery? Seeing there are not limitless amounts of indoor jobs, what reasonable adjustments could be made to a delivery role on foot?
E.g. could someone in a wheelchair apply for a postman/woman role, and then expect to be given an indoor job?
E.g. could someone in a wheelchair apply for a postman/woman role, and then expect to be given an indoor job?
-
bexley129
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
If an applicant has no prior knowledge of the requisites of a job role, then they rely on the job description! Driving was portrayed as a part of the job, at no time was the HC trolley mentioned in the job description . You talk with prior knowledge of the job demands. Think carefully if the situation was reversed, and YOU relied on the job description !
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
Quite agree with you there. Four hours of walking with LWT or not is still a physically demanding role. Wishing the OP better luck with future job applications.greengiant wrote:At the end of the day, a delivery role is a physical job, LWT or not.
Good luck with your future job hunts.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
The thing is though the use of HCTs / LWTs / Pouches depends on the actual duty which an OPG is working on. Granted, the job description could be updated to mention the fact that an HCT / LWT may be in use. However there is still the aspect of it being a physical job, use of trollies or not. And there is also the aspect of what reasonable adjustments could be made to a delivery role?bexley129 wrote:If an applicant has no prior knowledge of the requisites of a job role, then they rely on the job description! Driving was portrayed as a part of the job, at no time was the HC trolley mentioned in the job description . You talk with prior knowledge of the job demands. Think carefully if the situation was reversed, and YOU relied on the job description !
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Royal Mail attitude to disability, TERRIBLE!
Have you ever had people tell you what they think a postman does?catch22 wrote: What did you think the job entailed?
Its a physically demanding job
One guy started at our office around 8 years ago. He worked in a stressful job and was financially secure so decided to see out his working days as a postman.
His reasoning was because all postmen look happy strolling around the streets with a bag of mail over their shoulder and are home for midday.
He didn't realise that we had around 8-10 of those bags and a van full of parcels and are finishing later and later.
I've spoken to guys in pubs who think we have one bag of mail too.