ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news ... -1-7782015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
Staff outside Peterborough's Royal Mail centre during a previous gate meeting. PHOTO: Andy Simmo

Royal Mail workers in Peterborough are seeking to take industrial action after two members were allegedly disciplined by managers.

Members of the Communication Workers Union at the Royal Mail depot in Papyrus Road, Werrington, have requested approval from union bosses to take industrial action, which could include going on strike, over the dispute.

They are also planning to stage a series of “gate meetings” at the depot over the next few days to discuss the situation facing the two members they say are “unfairly” facing disciplinary action.

The first gate meeting will be tomorrow (Friday January 20) at 8am. According to the union’s website, members agreed at a meeting on Sunday to ask the CWU’s Postal Executive Council to endorse a ballot for industrial action in response to the disciplinary action.

Details of the disciplinary action have not been revealed.

The Peterborough Telegraph has requested from the union and the Royal Mail.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by LouBarlow »

Is it true that this is down to staff not agreeing to work all their paid for hours? e.g. thinking 'job and finish' still exists in RM? I applaud their solidarity but I don't think they have a leg to stand on.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by Dorset Plodder »

LouBarlow wrote:Is it true that this is down to staff not agreeing to work all their paid for hours?[/color] e.g. thinking 'job and finish' still exists in RM? I applaud their solidarity but I don't think they have a leg to stand on.
If that's the case I agree with your statement Lou. I personally don't have a problem with working ALL my paid hours...because my duty is too big and I'm claiming OT most days (just about do-able on Tues & Sat). I do know some Posties who make up an hour a day. Why they think RM will pay them for nearly a FREE Day every week is beyond me. :hmmmm

I'm no Company Man but I do wonder why we haven't had electronic clocking in/out. It would certainly cut down on the "Chosen Few" finishing ridiculously early. I believe that's hated as much by Posties as Management. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by LouBarlow »

I have only heard rumours, but apparently, staff have been told they will be working their hours from now on. Staff members refused by just finishing their rounds and then just walking out, hence the disciplinary.

Anyone here from Peterborough?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Hear all, trust nothing.

Rumours can be spread by RM/managers and posties/CWU.

In time, I expect the story will come out, until then, it's all speculation.

Unless someone from the DO in question enlightens us all.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

LouBarlow wrote:I have only heard rumours, but apparently, staff have been told they will be working their hours from now on. Staff members refused by just finishing their rounds and then just walking out, hence the disciplinary.

Anyone here from Peterborough?
The Union would reject the application for a ballot if this was true. You can't just strike because you want to, you have to have a legitimate reason. Unless the posties got sacked then I can't see one.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by LouBarlow »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:I have only heard rumours, but apparently, staff have been told they will be working their hours from now on. Staff members refused by just finishing their rounds and then just walking out, hence the disciplinary.

Anyone here from Peterborough?
The Union would reject the application for a ballot if this was true. You can't just strike because you want to, you have to have a legitimate reason. Unless the posties got sacked then I can't see one.
It's still a grey area though. In our office, some days, you can indeed get back 20 minutes early (or whatever) and go home. Unless a manager explicitly stops you and says 'can you do a bit of extra sorting, till the end of your shift?' which is a reasonable request, it means that job and finish *can* still be a thing.

If a postman at Peterborough has done similarly (i.e. finished his/her duty and just walked out without being spoken to by a gaffer), and then been disciplined, I guess that would be a decent reason for the gate meeting - however, if he/she refuses point-blank a request from management to stay till the end of his/her shift, then it wouldn't be (IMO).

It's an area of the job that still needs sorting as it varies from office to office and even manager to manager in the same office. I'd actually prefer it if it *was* stuck to, that you work all your hours (I do pretty much anyway!) as it would hopefully dissuade the runners and corner-cutters that blight the job.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

LouBarlow wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:I have only heard rumours, but apparently, staff have been told they will be working their hours from now on. Staff members refused by just finishing their rounds and then just walking out, hence the disciplinary.

Anyone here from Peterborough?
The Union would reject the application for a ballot if this was true. You can't just strike because you want to, you have to have a legitimate reason. Unless the posties got sacked then I can't see one.
It's still a grey area though. In our office, some days, you can indeed get back 20 minutes early (or whatever) and go home. Unless a manager explicitly stops you and says 'can you do a bit of extra sorting, till the end of your shift?' which is a reasonable request, it means that job and finish *can* still be a thing.

If a postman at Peterborough has done similarly (i.e. finished his/her duty and just walked out without being spoken to by a gaffer), and then been disciplined, I guess that would be a decent reason for the gate meeting - however, if he/she refuses point-blank a request from management to stay till the end of his/her shift, then it wouldn't be (IMO).

It's an area of the job that still needs sorting as it varies from office to office and even manager to manager in the same office. I'd actually prefer it if it *was* stuck to, that you work all your hours (I do pretty much anyway!) as it would hopefully dissuade the runners and corner-cutters that blight the job.
20 Minutes early finish using your break is allowed - at least for FTs who split their breaks.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by rambo1 »

If rumors are true it's crazy people think they have a right to get paid while going home early. What sort of business pays people an hr for being sat at home and on the same day pays some for doing an hrs overtime? A failing one if it carries on, and that would mean jobs lost for some.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Peterborough Royal Mail staff seek to take industrial action over dispute with managers

Post by Dorset Plodder »

rambo1 wrote:If rumors are true it's crazy people think they have a right to get paid while going home early. What sort of business pays people an hr for being sat at home and on the same day pays some for doing an hrs overtime? A failing one if it carries on, and that would mean jobs lost for some.
Royal Mail do it on a regular basis Rambo. :shock: Why? God knows. If it was my business I'd be stood in the door sending people back out again with some more work to fill their time. In reality I expect most Managers just be doing with the confrontation, and possible arguments, IMO best case: They're lazy bastrds ...... worst case: They're Moral Cowards. :thumbdown
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)