http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/abandon ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postbox which was mysteriously taped up and abandoned last month is back in action - and is biggest fan has written a poem to celebrate.
The Herald reported before Christmas how the postbox in Harley Vale had been wrapped in black tape and was being ignored by postmen.
Baffled resident Penelope Manford gave it some festive cheer, wrapping tinsel, mistletoe and fairy lights around the postbox - and writing a poem about it.
And now she has marked its low-key unveiling with a new poem, titled Welcome Back Post Box.
Penelope gave the postbox some festive cheer before Christmas
Royal Mail said the door to the box had been broken and needed replacing - work which locals are delighted has now been done.
A spokesman said at the time: "Royal Mail apologises to customers for any inconvenience following the closure of this box.
"Unfortunately the door has broken rendering the box unusable.
"We are currently in the process of sourcing a replacement box which we will return to service as soon as possible."
Welcome Back Post Box
Friday 13th and what a day
Workmen replaced my door
I was happy I must say
People will visit a lot more
I'm now longer clothed in black
I'm here to take your mail
The postman can visit with his sack
And take my contents without fail
So come on you folk of Hartley Vale
I'm open for business once more
Please visit and post your mail
Now I've got my brand new door.
Your post is now as safe can be
And I've my scarlet coat again
Brightly painted for all to see
In snow, sleet, hail & rain.
I've been lonely for quite a while
Whilst my door was taken away
Residents please bring back a smile
And visit me nearly every day.
I'm back in business I often cry
Please, please don't pass me by!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Abandoned Plymouth postbox lives again - and someone has written a poem about it
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Abandoned Plymouth postbox lives again - and someone has written a poem about it
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.