ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Heavy Big Parcels

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Destiny »

Celtic Postman wrote:The main thing is the Health and Safety of you as the individual.

Royal Mails own lifting and handling training clearly states this,
The acronym T.I.L.E is used to determine this.

T - Task, Can you as an individual carry out this task safely?
I - Individual, Is it in your own ability to carry it out safely? (Carry out your own risk assessment)
L - Load, Can you safely lift, carry comfortably without strain the item? (Consider Shape, Size & Weight)
E - Environment, Consider the working environment I.e steps, ice, slopes, debris, leaves etc.... is it safe for you on your own to go down steps with said item if you struggle to lift or hold it?

Hope this helps you now or in the future, after all your safety is top of Royal Mails priority :thumbup
Wouldn't mind this in official format or a link if you can help buddy :thumbup
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by yellowbelly »

Celtic Postman wrote:The main thing is the Health and Safety of you as the individual.

Royal Mails own lifting and handling training clearly states this,.....
LOL, what RM Lifting and Handling Training???.......
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Mobey »

Surely that 6 minutes video with watching the practical demonstration done by someone else not us doing it. Very poor compared to others I've done.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by cpsteve »

Nigel1505 wrote:
cpsteve wrote:You were asked to deliver a item that you felt was unsafe to do so without help so why did you go ahead without help ?

Because I was told to by DOM, don't worry there will be repercussions, I had enough witnesses to what he told me.
You are going to find it hard to argue a case on the basis the Dom told/asked you as its you who risk assesses any item you lift I mean would you jump of a cliff if he said it was safe.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Nigel1505 »

Good point, the answer is no. But the nub of the issue is that he asked me to do something that I considered and told him was unsafe, but he didn't think it was. It wasn't life threatening I know, but I was fed up with him repeating that I had to deliver it. It was the size really and that I could not get a grip of it because of that. We will see tomorrow when I seek legal advice. Thanks for all the replies. :wave
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

PARCELFORCE ?
:hmmmm
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Nigel1505 »

Quite. Am I wrong in thinking they have a barrow in their van.
Celtic Postman
Posts: 50
Joined: 27 May 2016, 20:34
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Celtic Postman »

Destiny wrote:
Celtic Postman wrote:The main thing is the Health and Safety of you as the individual.

Royal Mails own lifting and handling training clearly states this,
The acronym T.I.L.E is used to determine this.

T - Task, Can you as an individual carry out this task safely?
I - Individual, Is it in your own ability to carry it out safely? (Carry out your own risk assessment)
L - Load, Can you safely lift, carry comfortably without strain the item? (Consider Shape, Size & Weight)
E - Environment, Consider the working environment I.e steps, ice, slopes, debris, leaves etc.... is it safe for you on your own to go down steps with said item if you struggle to lift or hold it?

Hope this helps you now or in the future, after all your safety is top of Royal Mails priority :thumbup

Wouldn't mind this in official format or a link if you can help buddy
:thumbup
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply but i didn't see your request for info.

You can get this on the lifting and handling videos on the Royal Mail screens in your office.
It will be under the health and safety.

As I said it is the official lifting and handling training and your DOM should adhere to it.

Hope this helps.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by Nigel1505 »

Many thanks for the info. :cuppa
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Heavy Big Parcels

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Was on lates and when i got in i was asked to deliver a 3 ton jack that wieghed 38.8 kg. Was told by management not to carry myself and get the customer to give me a hand. When i got there the guy just picked it up himself and i just drove off :nana.