ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

25hrs into 5 days from 4 days.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

25hrs into 5 days from 4 days.

Post by South_London_Postie »

aposter wrote:
South_London_Postie wrote:Steve he is losing out. If he has a sick day on the new setup he would only get paid 5 hours instead of 6.15 hours. Same if his day off fell on a bank holiday and booked it as overtime.
Cobblers, you could argue he his more likely to be sick in work time now (5 in 7 chance rather than 4 in 7|) and will therefore be more likely to be paid 5 hours than nothing, never heard such tripe. As for working a BH the simple answer is if he is asked to work either say no, or negotiate the number of hours he wants to work/get paid for, if the number isn't forthcoming either suck up the 5 hours or have a day off!

Oh Aposter it's easy to dismiss as the problems not yours.

This ain't a game of odds. It's a simple fact if a he becomes sick on a day he is scheduled for work he will be worse off on the new setup.

How would you feel if your working week got stretched to seven days and your sick day pay become a lower figure as a result.


As for bank holidays you completely missed the point.

If his day off falls on a bank holiday which we don't work and he takes it as overtime he is paid a lower Daily rate due to reduced daily hours.

If you don't see a problem with that then fair enough you are entitled to your opinion.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

25hrs into 5 days from 4 days.

Post by postiewhite »

I think the only thing i'm going to do is from now on is accumilate the bank holidays and take them off as a week (when I get to 5) which won't make it so bad for me and then carry the other 3 BH days over onto the following year and then after the easter and good friday BH days I will have saved another 5 days to take together. I know it's arsing around a bit but I don't think I want to get paid 5 hrs for the odd day, i'd rather try and save a week's worth and take 5 together.
The only other thing is that she has to give me 5 days work a week which means potentially more OT for me. When she doesn't need me and tries to put me back to 4 days (ie summer when it's quiet) I can say to the boss "hold on, we have agreed 5 hours over 5 days which is why im ONLY getting 5 hrs basic pay on a bank holiday or sick day" then I can get the rep involved at that!!!. Thoughts?
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

25hrs into 5 days from 4 days.

Post by peshwaarinaan »

It's the other way round for me. I started on a 20 hour Wednesday to Saturday contract but recently I've been changed to 3 floating 6 hour 40 days. Some weeks I'm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday which is great as I get Saturdays off. The downside is that I don't know what I'm working until the Friday afternoon when the duties go up but I'd much rather work 3 days than 4, even it it is difficult to plan things in advance.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

25hrs into 5 days from 4 days.

Post by aposter »

South_London_Postie wrote:
aposter wrote:
South_London_Postie wrote:Steve he is losing out. If he has a sick day on the new setup he would only get paid 5 hours instead of 6.15 hours. Same if his day off fell on a bank holiday and booked it as overtime.
Cobblers, you could argue he his more likely to be sick in work time now (5 in 7 chance rather than 4 in 7|) and will therefore be more likely to be paid 5 hours than nothing, never heard such tripe. As for working a BH the simple answer is if he is asked to work either say no, or negotiate the number of hours he wants to work/get paid for, if the number isn't forthcoming either suck up the 5 hours or have a day off!

Oh Aposter it's easy to dismiss as the problems not yours.

This ain't a game of odds. It's a simple fact if a he becomes sick on a day he is scheduled for work he will be worse off on the new setup.

How would you feel if your working week got stretched to seven days and your sick day pay become a lower figure as a result.


As for bank holidays you completely missed the point.

If his day off falls on a bank holiday which we don't work and he takes it as overtime he is paid a lower Daily rate due to reduced daily hours.

If you don't see a problem with that then fair enough you are entitled to your opinion.
HOW will he be worse off? If he is getting full pay when off sick at the end of the week he will still come out with the same pay, If he is on ssp and he only takes time off he will be potentially better off as he will potentially work more hours. I think what you are saying is that if he goes 'sick' :hmmmm he will now only be getting 5 hours off instead of 61/4 which is a really sad workshy mentality imo and one that as been the demise of many a British industry.

As for the BH, read my post, if the unit need him so badly that they ask him to work then he can say yes I will work but only if you allow me to come in for 6 1/4 hours, they can only say yes or no.

To the op if you do a BH you have the option of enhanced pay or pay + day off in lieu so you would be banking a day in anycase with the latter option.