http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/postman-del ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two cyclists gave homeless animals a Christmas to remember after completing a charity bicycle ride in aid of a Burton charity. Michael Vardy, 26, and his uncle Steven Hoderin, 55, both from Burton, took on a 130-mile ride through Derbyshire to try to raise vital funds for the RSPCA Burton, in Hillfield Lane, Stretton.
The pair managed to raise a total of £750 for their ambitious challenge and spent the funds on treats for all the animals to enjoy. Mr Vardy, who has delivered mail to residents in Winshill for five years, said that the charity was a worthy cause to support.
He said: "I don't think that the RSPCA gets as much support as a lot of charities do. The organisation needs as much help as people can give them. They do great work which often goes unnoticed."
The pair of keen cyclists from Burton visited a local pet store and splashed out on treats for animals at the RSPCA Burton
The pair raised the funds by cycling from Burton through the Derbyshire countryside, taking in rural areas such as Carsington and Buxton along the way, before returning to Burton. However, the cycle challenge proved more difficult than first realised after Mr Vardy got into some difficulty.
He said: "It was a three-day ride, where Steven and I were carrying all of our equipment on the bikes and we were going to camp. It was quite tough. However, on the first day, when we were just outside Carsington Water I fell off my bike. Thankfully they looked after us and I was not seriously injured. I got a few cuts and grazes, but nothing was going to stop me from finishing the challenge."
Mr Vardy said that the amount raised, for the charity that cares for and rehomes abandoned and unwanted animals from across the county, was worth all of the bruises.
He said: "I think that we wanted to raise at least £500 to begin with. It is great that we achieved that and more. We took a trip over to the pet store Kennelgate in Derby Road and filled the car full of as much as we could. We got about four trolleys worth of items."
The pair delivered goodies such as dog, cat and rabbit food, treats, a variety of toys and litter to the RSPCA. Mr Vardy said that it would not have been possible without the support from friends, family and residents he delivers mail to.
He said: "I want to thank everyone who donated money, especially those who are on my post round. They are fantastic."
Valerie Constable, animal care assistant at the RSPCA Burton, said that she was not expecting the number of donated items.
She said: "The items will make a big difference to the animals, especially the food. We are really, really pleased and so grateful to Michael and Steven for choosing us as their charity to support."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman delivers GBP750 worth of treats to RSPCA Burton after completing charity challenge
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman delivers GBP750 worth of treats to RSPCA Burton after completing charity challenge
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.