Just so you know tommyrep, I do not have complete support.
Approx a quarter of staff are indifferent, and another quarter of staff don't support me at all. Which is the point I'm making.
And guess which of the staff do most of the moaning? Those that refuse to stick up for themselves or their colleagues, and are the first to moan, but then refuse to take any action.
They then blame me for failing to deal with their issue.
As I'm sure you know, a Rep can only deal with things with the help and support of the members.
During a revision, I actually had a couple of staff members complaining about me, because I wouldn't allow the manager (just in case you can't guess - they're the boss's mates) do what he wanted.
If I hadn't fought as I did, one of these staff members would have had their hours cut (which the manager denied suggesting). They still think I was wrong, and have even suggested 'having me removed'.
If people, as you say, choose to suffer in silence, which I don't doubt, then they have no right of complaint.
It won't miraculously sort itself out. Action needs to be taken. If more people just stuck together, our working lives would improve immeasurably.
Whilst bullying is a major issue, I think there is a much bigger one in RM, it's peoples refusal to do anything about it.
If people continue to accept this behaviour, it only ensures that the vicious circle will carry on.
If people are unwilling to protect themselves, and by default their colleagues, then in my opinion it is unrealistic to blame union hierarchy for their failings.
They can only take action if and/or when those on the frontline take action. Which by your own admission, they're not willing to do.
When people are failing to help themselves, how can Reps both local and Area, and the top union brass be blamed for not doing enough?