ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Greedy Posties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by comeracing »

Kings Norton wrote:I cannot believe the amount of greedy posties in my office the last few days complaining about what they have not got from Royal Mail. If you are a full timer at Royal Mail and in the union as far as I am concerned we got £200 Bonus in our wages we also received a full book of stamps probably valued at £35 or there abouts yet they still complain that's not enough? Hey guys some firms out there won't give you the shake of their hand so you don't know how lucky you are. I think RM look after you alright but there is moaning guys/gals who still want more. Merry Christmas happy as could be with my bonus..
yes kings Norton I part agree with you then you look on the other side of it,i reached my 20 years service in the summer and for all my hard work over the years I received a pin badge,i felt like shoveing it where the sun don't shine,so im sure you can imagine how I feel.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Greedy Posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mbavelja wrote:
Krafty wrote: Some people can take care of themselves and some get walked over.
The managers normally pick on the quieter ones, the ones that are not loud and threatening.
Isn't that why we have a union - to ensure we are all treated fairly or we use our collective strength to protect those that need it?

But as the Union is only as strong as the collective force of its members its weakened by comments and actions such as

"Duties shouldn't be ringfenced for Equality Act purposes"
"Non drivers should be doing more work! "
"I take my break everyday and get called worse than s**t for it (by the office the rep)"

Not to mention the seniority issue which is used, abused, misunderstood, misapplied and blamed for all manner of ills. When really it's people using it to their own benefit instead of others, and others using it to generate a split between FT and PT.

If us posties at street level can't treat other with respect and use the agreements as they are meant to be used, then how is the Union going to help those that need it. Its a noble sentiment and one I support, but a lot of people (not all) are blaming the Union for their own faults and failings.

Simply put - if we aren't there for the Union, and the Union is us, is the Union failing us, or are we failing ourselves :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Greedy Posties

Post by Tman »

I'm getting arsey because you are being a nob. Why should I go get a paper or look online just to give you a list of jobs better than working for RM? Go look and you will see. No you can't do that can you it's too difficult for you,
You said there's better jobs out there, and I want to know what YOU THINK they might be, and no need for pejorative comments as they don't help your point in any way.
I don't need to go online or look in the paper as it's not about me wanting employment advice from you, but about you backing up your "there's better jobs out there" statement.
So we've had the vague "warehouse" claim, the even vaguer "gardening" but what else?
You must have some sort of mental list of jobs you think are better than being a postie, or you wouldn't have made the sweeping claim about "better jobs" would you?
Would you??
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by fishtank »

You're kind of making an arse of yourself by labouring the point Tman, "better" is not a term that can be accurately quantified and means different things to different people so unless you're just arguing for the sake of it it's a little silly to keep asking for examples. To some people sitting on the dole would be a better job, not financially obviously but "better" isn't a monetary unit is it?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by rambo1 »

C'mon, peace and good will to all. Lighten up people and by and large, enjoy life and how lucky we are.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by Chewster »

fishtank wrote:
Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss
The mail came in bags not yorks
We still get bags :left:
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by mickeymacca »

fishtank wrote:
Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss
Says someone who wasn't there.
When I started it was a 6 day 42 hr week with a 5am start, the basic was so shite that you had to do at least 10 hours overtime a week just to make what they now call a "living wage" so for someone trying to feed a family "early finishes" were not an option, holidays were picked purely on seniority so for the first 10 years I got November and February despite having 3 young kids. The mail came in bags not yorks and had to be hand balled off the lorry or the train and then cut and tipped. There was no sequenced mail or buddy trays so you either knew a frame or you were prepared to spend 3hrs of headfuck trying to prep it and no vans or trolleys to take the weight off your shoulder, there was no Google maps or a P&L partner to direct you so you were dumped out of a van with no idea where you were, where the boxes were or where you were going, I could go on about how badly reserves and AGs (part-timers) were treated in those days but that's another story...

Just because some of the old timers look back on the old days with a rose tinted, misty eyed perspective doesn't mean it was a piece of piss, my first 10 years of service with this company was pretty grim, different reasons than today's grim but grim all the same.
I've been in the job 9 years, so not loads of seniority, but experienced much of what you give as examples.( I actually gave them as examples as well in my post). And you worked all of those 52 hours a week you were paid for a living wage?
'Libraries gave us power'
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by mickeymacca »

Chewster wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss
The mail came in bags not yorks
We still get bags :left:
Me too
'Libraries gave us power'
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Greedy Posties

Post by Tman »

fishtank wrote:You're kind of making an arse of yourself by labouring the point Tman, "better" is not a term that can be accurately quantified and means different things to different people so unless you're just arguing for the sake of it it's a little silly to keep asking for examples. To some people sitting on the dole would be a better job, not financially obviously but "better" isn't a monetary unit is it?
You're saying the same as the other bloke.
Of course there are better (by anyone's standards) jobs out there, but in the context of this thread I was asking for realistic examples to back that assertion. Not a lot of point in making extravagant claims about these so-called "better jobs" if all the OP (and you) are going to do is hide behind the "ah yeah but we're all different etc" stuff, which is not the point.
A "better job" usually means more money, better T&C's etc, so are there any comparable jobs paying comparable money with comparable skills to that which RM require, or are we going to waffle on even more about subjective and tangential stuff?
Judgee is probably giving no examples as in truth, he doesn't know of any.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by bustedflush »

For unskilled work at 10-11 quid per hour, what IS better?

OK, you could get that on a permanent nightshift. Bad for your health and likely stuck in one noisy factory or warehouse very regimented. I'd say not better.

Not in a shop, not in a factory or likely much else doing a dayshift. Remember we are talking UNSKILLED!

Paramedic? Bus driver? Train for that, similar money but shiftwork, and in none of those positons would you be allowed to bugger-off home early, have a coffee or smoke when you wanted, same with your break.

I've had a good think about this, and a general look and I can say safely thus far that a dayshift unskilled position where you can get unquestioned sick pay, IHR package after 6 months, bonus at Xmas, freedom to plan your own day and breaks as well as a chance to work 34 hours while being paid for 39 if you feel like upping the pace a bit plus possibly a good pile of tips at Xmas AND £11 an hour to boot and not forgetting travelling to work before the morning rush and home before the evening rush ARE LIKE ROCKING HORSE $HIT!!

So yeah, I'd also like to hear of intrinsically 'better' equivalent jobs. I agree that Judgee can't name any.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Greedy Posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Identifying what is a better job is a matter of opinion. Opinions are like arse holes, we all have them. Why people are arguing over an opinion and want it turned into fact by the opinion maker making a list is beyond me. You won't agree with it, we'll all have our own list and they'll all be different.

I could name 3 (Grave Digger, Serviceman, street sweeper) but then you'd want me to explain why they are better. So why not accept his opinion as face vale and move on.

(Notice this is NOT in green)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Greedy Posties

Post by Tman »

Thank you Busted. I was beginning to think I was speaking some sort of foreign language or using impenetrable logic.
TBT; a postie is not realistically going to think "I've had enough of being a postie, so I think I'll go and be a serviceman now" so that's another unrealistic example. The other two examples are in the open air and (probably) singleton working which is attractive for some, but are likely little more than minimum waged and have their own targets and pressures, so again not realistic/comparable alternatives for the vast majority of RM staff.
I think you've confused the point about "better jobs" with "Jobs TBT might personally enjoy more" which is little more than a continuation of Judgee's erroneous posts.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Greedy Posties

Post by Judgee »

Tman wrote:Thank you Busted. I was beginning to think I was speaking some sort of foreign language or using impenetrable logic.
TBT; a postie is not realistically going to think "I've had enough of being a postie, so I think I'll go and be a serviceman now" so that's another unrealistic example. The other two examples are in the open air and (probably) singleton working which is attractive for some, but are likely little more than minimum waged and have their own targets and pressures, so again not realistic/comparable alternatives for the vast majority of RM staff.
I think you've confused the point about "better jobs" with "Jobs TBT might personally enjoy more" which is little more than a continuation of Judgee's erroneous posts.
Ok TMan you win, working for RM is the best job we can all hope for there is nothing better out there! :arrrghhh

Can you stop talking bull now so we can all move on! :thumbup

Oh and note in your own post "singleton working which is attractive for SOME" who knows perhaps subconsciously it's finally starting to click with you! :left:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by Newbie001 »

Think at moment in this "race to the bottom" economy, there is definitely a lack of "better" jobs out there. All companies seem to be going through process of part-time, no paid breaks, banking hours, cutting pensions, paying as little as possible. Basically shafting their workers wherever possible. RM is slowly fighting to do the same.
Would I leave in a second if better job came up... Yes. Does wanting more from RM make us greedy.... No. Can't see what's wrong with wanting better working conditions for everyone.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Greedy Posties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ok. My opinion of what is a better job than being a postman is wrong.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.