ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Greedy Posties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Greedy Posties

Post by Judgee »

So there's only one warehouse in the country that is better than working at RM? What about the million others?

I have also done gardening which was outside in the fresh air, hours to suit and a much better hourly rate but tough to survive if the weather is bad and I had a very bad year weather wise when I did it.

I've worked in insurance, worse pay but inside in the warm all year round.

As I mentioned before, working for RM was a much better option at the time but the job is now worse than when I started.

Still can't see the point of your post and clearly you have ignored mine because as I have already mentioned that what is a better job to me is not necessarily better for you is it?

Can you stop being silly now? :arrrghhh :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by centenaryman »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
centenaryman wrote:Ive had other jobs,,,,,bus driving for nearly 20 years being 1,,,,and I remember 1 year they gave us a £10 m&s gift card and another year a £5 coin but that was it in the 20 years.

I came here and then it was stamps and £100 jees I couldn't believe it.......granted now £200 cos them rip of shares years back but I`m more than happy with that.

The mrs works in a school....shes never got a bonus....not many jobs pay an xmas bonus,,,,,but yeah lads in the office moan that were badly done to.....my personal believe is we do well at xmas
Your Mrs works in a school. :cuppa :cuppa
Which would she prefer, thirteen weeks holiday a year OR a £200 Christmas bonus, 50 First Class stamps and out in all weathers ? :arrrghhh


bit of a poor reply mate.....ive got a brother works on the rail.....no bonus........sister in the nhs...no bonus
alls I was saying we get a bonus....plenty of jobs out there don't pay bonuses at xmas....even 1 or 2 have poor working conditions
I also should have said my mrs is on temp contracts,,,,gets finished up in july and taken back on temp again in sept sooo yeah she gets summer of,,,,but with no pay....

we get a bonus at xmas....my opinion its pretty good.
Lads with long service tell me it was related to putting in plenty of effort in the xmas pressure.....tales of late finishes bla bla...
Now you come on this forum and its "work your time"....."cut off"......"whens the bonus being paid"
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by mickeymacca »

Judgee you posted

'If seniority goes it would not benefit all, just those fresh in from the world who would then have it a lot easier than those that came before them and had already done plenty of grafting!'

'As I mentioned before, working for RM was a much better option at the time but the job is now worse than when I started'

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think these two comments are a little bit conflicting. Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss as you as much as point out, those entering the job now on worse conditions than when we started are not gonna have the benefit of building up seniority during the doddle years.

Seniority has its place but if its to subsidise p@sstakers ( no experience of this, just based on early posts) at the expense of newbies then it probably needs reviewing.

That said newbies now benefit from walksorted mail, so prepping is easy, most frames run in order and so are easy to bag up, and the delivery equipment is better (although it needs to be given the size of the rounds)

Apologies for the argumentitive nature of this post but that's where 48 hours with the Family leaves you.
'Libraries gave us power'
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Greedy Posties

Post by Tman »

Judgee wrote: Still can't see the point of your post and clearly you have ignored mine because as I have already mentioned that what is a better job to me is not necessarily better for you is it?
Can you stop being silly now? :arrrghhh :roll:
What are you getting arsey for? You said-

it is also a lot worse than other jobs out there

but now you keep qualifying it by saying -

have already mentioned that what is a better job to me is not necessarily better for you is it?


Which makes a nonsense of the first sweeping statement.
In reality, you don't know any better jobs (you could do) do you, and it's just more RM griping with no factual basis.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by fishtank »

Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss
Says someone who wasn't there.
When I started it was a 6 day 42 hr week with a 5am start, the basic was so shite that you had to do at least 10 hours overtime a week just to make what they now call a "living wage" so for someone trying to feed a family "early finishes" were not an option, holidays were picked purely on seniority so for the first 10 years I got November and February despite having 3 young kids. The mail came in bags not yorks and had to be hand balled off the lorry or the train and then cut and tipped. There was no sequenced mail or buddy trays so you either knew a frame or you were prepared to spend 3hrs of headfuck trying to prep it and no vans or trolleys to take the weight off your shoulder, there was no Google maps or a P&L partner to direct you so you were dumped out of a van with no idea where you were, where the boxes were or where you were going, I could go on about how badly reserves and AGs (part-timers) were treated in those days but that's another story...

Just because some of the old timers look back on the old days with a rose tinted, misty eyed perspective doesn't mean it was a piece of piss, my first 10 years of service with this company was pretty grim, different reasons than today's grim but grim all the same.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It wouldn't surprise me to see big changes for both DOs and MCs in the next three years. Between a number of new machines that are made by Solystic, RM could virtually eliminate all IPS and prep in DOs.

The CLLS and XMS machines if bought could be used to sequence all flats and letters together. Any mail they rejected could be offered up to a CPS machine which would sort small parcels. If it was to sort them into batches, they could combine it with a Soly setup to sort small parcels down to walk level in MCs.
toniomac
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Dec 2016, 04:51
Gender: Female

Greedy Posties

Post by toniomac »

I have 29 years service. I am misty eyed for the old office. HCN is er interesting to say the least. I am NOT misty eyed for 6 day duties, 42 hour weeks and all the crap new entrants got then. It really was survival of the fittest. I am paid well for what I do and way more than my wife who regularly does unpaid overtime in managing a very profitable shop. I don't think I am greedy. I know a few with what we used to call "docketitis" They have aggreates of 1500+ and bitch and scream when they don't get on . We are having a new packet machine installed. I think things will get nervy then.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by SpacePhoenix »

toniomac wrote:. We are having a new packet machine installed. I think things will get nervy then.
One of these?

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Greedy Posties

Post by Lounge Lizard »

centenaryman wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
centenaryman wrote:Ive had other jobs,,,,,bus driving for nearly 20 years being 1,,,,and I remember 1 year they gave us a £10 m&s gift card and another year a £5 coin but that was it in the 20 years.

I came here and then it was stamps and £100 jees I couldn't believe it.......granted now £200 cos them rip of shares years back but I`m more than happy with that.

The mrs works in a school....shes never got a bonus....not many jobs pay an xmas bonus,,,,,but yeah lads in the office moan that were badly done to.....my personal believe is we do well at xmas
Your Mrs works in a school. :cuppa :cuppa
Which would she prefer, thirteen weeks holiday a year OR a £200 Christmas bonus, 50 First Class stamps and out in all weathers ? :arrrghhh


bit of a poor reply mate.....ive got a brother works on the rail.....no bonus........sister in the nhs...no bonus
alls I was saying we get a bonus....plenty of jobs out there don't pay bonuses at xmas....even 1 or 2 have poor working conditions
I also should have said my mrs is on temp contracts,,,,gets finished up in july and taken back on temp again in sept sooo yeah she gets summer of,,,,but with no pay....

we get a bonus at xmas....my opinion its pretty good.
Lads with long service tell me it was related to putting in plenty of effort in the xmas pressure.....tales of late finishes bla bla...
Now you come on this forum and its "work your time"....."cut off"......"whens the bonus being paid"
Maybe,
But I'm never overwhelmed by the Christmas bonus, instead just seeing it as £1 a day, less tax, over the year.
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Greedy Posties

Post by simply_the_best »

themailman wrote:
tonytucker wrote:
themailman wrote:There is a culture in my office amongst a few of the 20+ years service folks that they have done their fair share of the work in the past and its now time to get something back from the company. Complain about EVERYTHING, demand help when it's not needed (so they can go for a smoke etc), go berserk if someone else gets help before them (regardless if it's needed), don't bother putting their holiday sheet in on time then throw a hissy fit and end up getting 3 weeks during the school holidays cos 'they've already booked something'. etc etc etc. They look down their nose at the rest of us, and openly mock any new starting staff as they see them as grunts/mules who will in no time be doing part of their job for them.

Festive rant over :nana :Very Happy
Yeah it's called seniority pal

funny that, there's also a few of us who are also 20+ years in the job who don't behave that way. Explain that one if you can.
I'm 15+ years and certainly dont behave that way, ours is a fairly small office right enough, 30 odd staff but no one behaves in that manner.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Greedy Posties

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:
Seniority is built up on time served essentially when the job was a piece of p@ss
Says someone who wasn't there.
When I started it was a 6 day 42 hr week with a 5am start, the basic was so shite that you had to do at least 10 hours overtime a week just to make what they now call a "living wage" so for someone trying to feed a family "early finishes" were not an option, holidays were picked purely on seniority so for the first 10 years I got November and February despite having 3 young kids. The mail came in bags not yorks and had to be hand balled off the lorry or the train and then cut and tipped. There was no sequenced mail or buddy trays so you either knew a frame or you were prepared to spend 3hrs of headfuck trying to prep it and no vans or trolleys to take the weight off your shoulder, there was no Google maps or a P&L partner to direct you so you were dumped out of a van with no idea where you were, where the boxes were or where you were going, I could go on about how badly reserves and AGs (part-timers) were treated in those days but that's another story...

Just because some of the old timers look back on the old days with a rose tinted, misty eyed perspective doesn't mean it was a piece of piss, my first 10 years of service with this company was pretty grim, different reasons than today's grim but grim all the same.
Fish,
That's a very different perspective on the job than in Alan Johnson's autobiography.
Krafty
Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by Krafty »

Kings Norton wrote:
Judgee wrote:
Kings Norton wrote:I cannot believe the amount of greedy posties in my office the last few days complaining about what they have not got from Royal Mail. If you are a full timer at Royal Mail and in the union as far as I am concerned we got £200 Bonus in our wages we also received a full book of stamps probably valued at £35 or there abouts yet they still complain that's not enough? Hey guys some firms out there won't give you the shake of their hand so you don't know how lucky you are. I think RM look after you alright but there is moaning guys/gals who still want more. Merry Christmas happy as could be with my bonus..

Good for you if you think working for RM is great just because they don't beat us quite as hard as some of the other bosses out there! :crazy: :d'oh! :roll:

Yes it's better than some jobs out there it is also a lot worse than other jobs out there. RM treat us like donkeys most of the time with bullying and harassment rife throughout the business. If you think £235 a year before tax makes up for that then you are very easily pleased! :speak to the hand
If they treat you like a donkey and bully you then stand up up for yourself its only you that can put them in their place, i have had bosses that tried it but when i let loose they soon do one... Stand up and be counted lad!
Don't forget that we are not all the same.
Some people can take care of themselves and some get walked over.
The managers normally pick on the quieter ones, the ones that are not loud and threatening.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by fishtank »

Lounge Lizard wrote: Fish,
That's a very different perspective on the job than in Alan Johnson's autobiography.
If you were in desperate need of the truth the easiest way to find it would be to start with Alan Johnson's word, discard it and then look everywhere else. His manor might well have been a piece of piss but then this job has never been the same all over the country.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
mbavelja
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
Gender: Male

Greedy Posties

Post by mbavelja »

Krafty wrote: Some people can take care of themselves and some get walked over.
The managers normally pick on the quieter ones, the ones that are not loud and threatening.
Isn't that why we have a union - to ensure we are all treated fairly or we use our collective strength to protect those that need it?
Round up the usual suspects.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Greedy Posties

Post by Judgee »

Tman wrote:
Judgee wrote: Still can't see the point of your post and clearly you have ignored mine because as I have already mentioned that what is a better job to me is not necessarily better for you is it?
Can you stop being silly now? :arrrghhh :roll:
What are you getting arsey for? You said-

it is also a lot worse than other jobs out there

but now you keep qualifying it by saying -

have already mentioned that what is a better job to me is not necessarily better for you is it?


Which makes a nonsense of the first sweeping statement.
In reality, you don't know any better jobs (you could do) do you, and it's just more RM griping with no factual basis.
I'm getting arsey because you are being a nob. Why should I go get a paper or look online just to give you a list of jobs better than working for RM? Go look and you will see. No you can't do that can you it's too difficult for you, you'd rather go on a wind up!

I have already explained why I haven't gone out and found one and it's not because they aren't there but as always you fail to read posts correctly then make nonsensical responses.

Saying a what makes a job good or bad is different for all of us is true and does not make nonsense of my post, you just fail to understand it. Not sure if you are doing it intentionally or just a bit slow!

I do know of other jobs that are better for me personally out there than working for RM, but why should I give you a list of what I am moving on to if/when I can get EVR? I have qualifications and experience in other areas and have options but all reliant on getting finance before I go as I have dependants and can't just make a leap of faith as I am not the only one at risk. You may not have any options and therefore are stuck in RM, and for you perhaps it is the best that you can ever hope for in which case I pity you. :cry

Will say no more on this as I expect you will want a list of bank accounts, qualifications, dependants and a CV before you will accept it! :cuppa
Union what Union? Do we have a union?