Yes, you need to claim the overtime.EdRush wrote:Extra pay is a good idea, as everyday I do an extra 15-20mins dropping off my non-driver at home, then heading back to the office to unload.
Am I missing something?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Non drivers should be doing more work!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Non drivers should be doing more work!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Non drivers should be doing more work!
My own duty is as a passenger, but I cover a few others as a driver. We have our own loops, but we also make a loop that revolves around the area where the van is parked, and whoever is back first does that loop. It works great. It's not always possible obviously, as sometimes the passenger is picked up after the driver has done a loop miles away, at farms or whatever.Kings Norton wrote: "Not much i can do to help you mate really as I don't drive"
Also, I've noticed some van sharers have started doing the passengers packets together. The passenger sorts them all, then gets driven around and jumps out at each location. Driver does his own as he is at each location.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Non drivers should be doing more work!
Both good ideas NP.... I've used them both. I think the main thing is to have a Van share Team who have a "Positive Attitude" to assisting each other. Then it works....most of the time. The problems arise when you've one of the Team who has that. "It's not my job, I'm not doing it" attitude. This just breeds resentment and often the other member of the team ends up doing, or not doing, things just to spite their partner!NewPostieUK wrote:My own duty is as a passenger, but I cover a few others as a driver. We have our own loops, but we also make a loop that revolves around the area where the van is parked, and whoever is back first does that loop. It works great. It's not always possible obviously, as sometimes the passenger is picked up after the driver has done a loop miles away, at farms or whatever.Kings Norton wrote: "Not much i can do to help you mate really as I don't drive"
Also, I've noticed some van sharers have started doing the passengers packets together. The passenger sorts them all, then gets driven around and jumps out at each location. Driver does his own as he is at each location.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Non drivers should be doing more work!
Dorset Plodder wrote:Both good ideas NP.... I've used them both. I think the main thing is to have a Van share Team who have a "Positive Attitude" to assisting each other. Then it works....most of the time. The problems arise when you've one of the Team who has that. "It's not my job, I'm not doing it" attitude. This just breeds resentment and often the other member of the team ends up doing, or not doing, things just to spite their partner!NewPostieUK wrote:My own duty is as a passenger, but I cover a few others as a driver. We have our own loops, but we also make a loop that revolves around the area where the van is parked, and whoever is back first does that loop. It works great. It's not always possible obviously, as sometimes the passenger is picked up after the driver has done a loop miles away, at farms or whatever.Kings Norton wrote: "Not much i can do to help you mate really as I don't drive"
Also, I've noticed some van sharers have started doing the passengers packets together. The passenger sorts them all, then gets driven around and jumps out at each location. Driver does his own as he is at each location.There's no accounting for Dickheads in Royal Mail.
Exactly, Some take the attitude of "This is my duty and that is your duty" and at best leave it at that, or at worst find excuses to fob off the awkward bits on to the "driver".
As far as I'm concerned the entirety of a park and loop is OUR duty. It's both posties responsibility to clear all the mail and packets and return everything to the office at the end of the day.
Whoever is back first can do some of the oversized, dash off to do that awkward special, or go find the other postie and help them finish off their loop (even if it's just relieving them of the trolly and 739's and putting them away)
I've been lucky in that most P&L partners I've had are pretty decent we'll jointly sign the van out and both names go in the log book when we arrive at the start of a loop we'll generally have a quick check before we set off and say "so there's just this, this, and that to do by whoever's back first"