You missed the point. That was just an example to the original question of " what is the correct procedure of taking breaks on HCT duties and leaving the trolley.cpsteve wrote:South_London_Postie wrote:
You should not expect enough time to pick up kids in your break to many variables.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
taking paid breaks
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
I don't take mine, I just add my 40 minutes on at the end of the day. I'm sure many of you will disagree with that but it's allowed and is by far the most popular way in my office. Personally, as someone who ALWAYS finishes the duty, I just don't see a benefit in taking a break partway through the day and making it longer than need be. There's a tangible amount of work to be done, I'd rather just get it done.
That's not to say I NEVER take a break halfway through, if I happen to reach the chippy when it's open for lunch then I'll stop there
That's not to say I NEVER take a break halfway through, if I happen to reach the chippy when it's open for lunch then I'll stop there
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
taking paid breaks
Actually, Chewster its not "allowed", your manager could be in deep dodo if an incident occurs because of fatigue. Its the law that anyone expected to work 6 hours or more should have the opportunity of a break somewhere in the middle of the working day.
If however, you ignore the managers instructions to take a break, there are no legal consequences to you (ignoring other factors such as failing to comply with a reasonable request) however, a compensation claim made by you after being injured at work may be reduced if fatigue was a factor and you did not take a break.
If however, you ignore the managers instructions to take a break, there are no legal consequences to you (ignoring other factors such as failing to comply with a reasonable request) however, a compensation claim made by you after being injured at work may be reduced if fatigue was a factor and you did not take a break.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
I don't understand how people can walk round with a 100kg plus trolley, go up and down hundreds of flights of stairs for hours on end without a break. Honestly, after two / two and a half hours it becomes painful for me. Its much more pleasant to sit down at that point for a coffee and a sandwich. I reckon I'm more productive after this break and that cancels out the time taken to stop. Unless its a tuesday / light day I always stop.
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
Potentially you are breaking the law, consequences up to life imprisonment.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If however, you ignore the managers instructions to take a break, there are no legal consequences to you
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
Hmm. Of all the lifers in clink in this country, I don't believe there is one of them who would say, 'I'm here because my boss told me to take a break and I wouldn't.'
Don't get me wrong, everyone should take their break, but pretending that they'll get life in prison for failing to do so is just laughable and makes the situation look silly.
Take your paid breaks; don't give RM a penny for free; be safe and sensible.
If you refuse to take any break during a working day (yet be paid for it) then you are a plonker and if you kill someone while driving then you will get no union or RM support in your defense.
I do not for one moment believe that you would be expected, even by an avid Daily Mail reader, to serve a life sentence for that crime.
Don't get me wrong, everyone should take their break, but pretending that they'll get life in prison for failing to do so is just laughable and makes the situation look silly.
Take your paid breaks; don't give RM a penny for free; be safe and sensible.
If you refuse to take any break during a working day (yet be paid for it) then you are a plonker and if you kill someone while driving then you will get no union or RM support in your defense.
I do not for one moment believe that you would be expected, even by an avid Daily Mail reader, to serve a life sentence for that crime.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
taking paid breaks
Never have I ever been instructed to take a break nor have I ever heard a manager even talk about breaks