ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by nickbsmooth »

The car's crap anyway. I can't believe anyone's going to not go off sick when they've got the flu,because they will miss out on a very long shot of winning a poverty spec fiesta. It should be illegal as it's basically a kind of blackmail.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by General Mannerheim »

fishtank wrote:Employment Law: Attendance Rewards - Legal Ramifications

If you were thinking of offering your employees special rewards as incentives for having good attendance records, then you must read on. In fact, employers that offer attendance bonuses may find themselves falling foul of the law.

The Royal Mail introduced a rewards scheme for staff that did not to take time off sick. Under the Royal Mail's scheme, workers with full attendance records were entered into a prize draw to win Ford Focus cars or holiday vouchers worth £2,000. As a staff incentive, it seemed to work. The Royal Mail says its overall sickness absence levels fell during a nine-month period (between August and April) by 11%.

However, such schemes could have serious ramifications from a legal viewpoint, and leave employers vulnerable to a variety of legal claims.

Discrimination

1. Employees could bring discrimination claims on the grounds of disability or sex. The success of these claims would depend on each employee's particular circumstances and needs, whether in relation to their family, religion or health.
2. Alternatively, qualifying employees could bring claims for being subjected to detriment treatment as a result of asserting their statutory rights, for example, for:-
Time off for dependants and antenatal care;
Time off for study or training or time off for jury service
Maternity leave;
Adoption leave; or
Paternity or parental leave;

3. Disability discrimination may occur if, for example, an employee had time off connected to a disability and this was not taken into account by the employer under the reward scheme. The employee might claim that the failure of the employer to set aside his/her absence for disability related reasons amounted to less favourable treatment.

How can employers protect themselves from such claims?

Employers can avoid these pitfalls by including a list of exceptions in the reward scheme, for example, jury service or study leave, taking into account any statutory rights to time off; or
Pay bonuses to employees connected to performance in their job rather than implementing an attendance reward.

Employers should be wary of adopting an attendance bonus scheme without legal consultation.
I'm sure Wankmans and all the other parasites have fully briefed them. ;liar
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by postmandick »

so as a magistrate does that mean I wont qualify due to taking time off to attend court ?

are but I have just read the T&C and its unauthorized absences

so bring on the car
Last edited by postmandick on 19 Dec 2016, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by Judgee »

Don't be so pessimistic of course people will win them.

Moya Greene will win one and her top favourite ten lackeys will win the rest.... all by pure chance of course! :Very Happy
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4119
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by ted_e_bear »

Yes bit disappointed, I've got a pretty good attendance record, lucky I suppose but I'm awaiting a procedure in the near future that will result in a couple of days off sick, annoying as I'm certainly not playing the system, any time I've ever had off is 100% legitimate!!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by bustedflush »

Remember the Courier iPad quiz back in Nov/December 2014? (IIRC) There was small van/driving safety quiz which I entered and prizes were one of 6 iPads. I religiously checked the Courier thereafter and the results NEVER appeared. No winners ever announced. I did actually mention it on here about a year later. So the availability of these 'prizes' has about as much believability with me as if you told me you found a pile of reindeer crap on your landing Christmas morning. :sad:
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by nickbsmooth »

If the company really wanted to successfully blackmail then a generous cash incentive for every employee who's not off work, might stop the flaky ones from going sick.
This however would be some what illegal I suspect and unfair on the 1000s whom are genuinely ill.
raymod
Posts: 23
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:30
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by raymod »

I actually found this pretty insulting 12 years at royal mail not a single day sick and nothing from the company to show for it
I'm pretty sure four months should be pretty easy
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by Jpro747 »

It's not the first time this company has broken the law and it won't be the last. :cuppa
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by mjt120 »

bustedflush wrote:Remember the Courier iPad quiz back in Nov/December 2014? (IIRC) There was small van/driving safety quiz which I entered and prizes were one of 6 iPads. I religiously checked the Courier thereafter and the results NEVER appeared. No winners ever announced. I did actually mention it on here about a year later. So the availability of these 'prizes' has about as much believability with me as if you told me you found a pile of reindeer crap on your landing Christmas morning. :sad:
I won one of the ipads so it's not a scam, not sure why it wasn't in courier but I can confirm they did issue iPads to the 6 winners, very nice apple iPad which I'm still using today.
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by Mr Incognito »

2 days down, 118 to go...
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by fishtank »

Mr Incognito wrote:2 days down, 118 to go...
You and me both... :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by fishtank »

Does anyone think it's morally wrong to spread a little norovirus around the office just to kind of improve the odds a little?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by toomuchcoke »

nickbsmooth wrote:If the company really wanted to successfully blackmail then a generous cash incentive for every employee who's not off work, might stop the flaky ones from going sick.
This however would be some what illegal I suspect and unfair on the 1000s whom are genuinely ill.
They could, for instance, have a bonus scheme that pays out when you've accumulated enough time not-ill? i.e. You can have time off sick, it just delays the date that the bonus will be paid to you? (And hence you'd get less bonus(es) over time against those people who where less ill than you.)
fishtank wrote:Does anyone think it's morally wrong to spread a little norovirus around the office just to kind of improve the odds a little?
As long as you're not planning on doing that in my delivery office, then have at it! :whistle
Binsey
Posts: 390
Joined: 14 Aug 2015, 17:33
Gender: Male

It's back! Win a car if you have 100% attendance!

Post by Binsey »

DB1100 wrote:Another crock of s**t,It's much harder to have 100% attendance in delivery than say a mail centre.

True to a degree. But Mail Centre work nights which are really detrimental to health .