ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by toomuchcoke »

Dayman! wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something but if you're working together and finishing at the same time then surely it's in both your interests to help each other out :hmmmm
You'd think so, however it varies ... Some of the people I've worked a shared van with would come and help you finish your loop if they'd finished before you (which can happen due to the vagaries of how many parcels/items with a signature you had, how many people where actually in that sort of thing) and you know what, it meant I'd go and help them if I'd finished before you. Other folk would either wander off to do their next loop, wait in an obviously impatient manner for you to finish or (on one memorable occasion) drive past me on the wrong side of the road towards a blind corner, not wearing a seatbelt and leaning out the open driver's door shouting at you to go faster! :arrrghhh (And they then had the nerve to accuse me of being unprofessional?)
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Postie45 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Judgee wrote:With p & L you are supposed to work as a team. Discuss it between yourselves and try and come up with a fair solution. If you're sharing a van then you have to finish at the same time so you both suffer if someone isn't pulling their weight!

If your partner won't compromise then leave the packets til last and make them come round with you while your delivering them and make them take a turn in jumping in and out of the van with them! :thumbup
Yeah and life's meant to be fair Judgee but it aint! When P & L came in a lot of these "Pairs" were just thrown together with no consideration to the clash of personalities. I realise it's a hard concept for Dim RM Managers to grasp but if you're working closely together for a busy 5-6 hour day then it's a good idea if you actually get on together! :crazy:

How many van shares do you know where they're not working as a Team? We've had one who goes out when he's ready (and the Reserve's not) and starts HIS duty. When he finishes HIS "Side" he drives them both back to the DO (wasting time) and the Reserve has to drive back out (wasting further time) to finish his "Side" of the duty. You'll say the DOM should stop this, but he doesn't and it's allowed to go on! :cuppa
is the log book filled in each time correctly showing the change of driver ? im guessing not. Also more fool the reserve if they allow this to go on.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Postie45 wrote: is the log book filled in each time correctly showing the change of driver ? im guessing not. Also more fool the reserve if they allow this to go on.
That's the least of our problems in Royal Mail World Postie. We've got Posties that don't even bother signing out on the duties sheet FFS, probably because they don't wany everyone else knowing how early they finish. :no no

I wouldn't put up with this guys BS but again it's down to that clash of personalities. The Regular Driver is an experienced Full Timer, confident and outspoken (read gobby), the Reserve's a younger, more inexperienced Part Timer whose rather quiet and withdrawn. Some Posties just try and avoid confrontation, at any cost. That's the way they are. Wouldn't it be nice if there was someone they could turn to for help? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by cpsteve »

Every walk is different its all down to teamwork. You can deliver to forty houses in the time it takes to do four packets if people are out or open the door as the card hits the carpet grrrr. Leaving the walker doing a loop while you deliver the reg that you can not get to in time is all part of being in a team. First back gets the next bags ready or helps deliver the longer loop.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Kings Norton »

I have been with some of the old time posties who still think they can chill out and talk to customers all day like the 1960s I'm sorry we just don't have the time for that nowadays. As far as I can see with the posties that are single (no disrespect or anything) but they have nothing to go home for so they like to think the day is long and piss about all day.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Darren Bent »

Balance is needed as some driver is a lot faster than walker and other drivers are not. So it is hard to adapt to different partners with different speed.
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by tonytucker »

Kings Norton wrote:I have been battered with packets this week and last week absolutely pulling my knackers out to get my loops done as well as a massive increase on the packets while I'm doing this my partner hasn't got a worry in the world doing the same old loop day in day out. Its come to me now where the non driver should be helping the driver by taking on a extra loop or bag instead of been on Facebook while waiting for me to come back with his next bag. The non drivers has it easy all year around even easier at the Christmas period. Managers need to review this for next Christmas and stop putting the drivers under pressure.. This will also reduce the extended delivery the driver has to put on while the non driver walks back to the office when he is done saying "Not much i can do to help you mate really as I don't drive"
Cock ,drivers are glorified taxi drivers try pushing a trolley for 5 hours
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Bringing back the £6 a week driver's supplement would help redress the balance. :thumbup
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by EdRush »

Extra pay is a good idea, as everyday I do an extra 15-20mins dropping off my non-driver at home, then heading back to the office to unload.

Am I missing something?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Postie45 »

EdRush wrote:Extra pay is a good idea, as everyday I do an extra 15-20mins dropping off my non-driver at home, then heading back to the office to unload.

Am I missing something?
unless theres a local agreement thats not part of your duty, you both should finish at the office not have 1 finish sooner than the other like this.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by postslippete »

If only Royal Mail would get rid of this shared van lark then there would probably be a much happier and more productive workforce!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Judgee »

EdRush wrote:Extra pay is a good idea, as everyday I do an extra 15-20mins dropping off my non-driver at home, then heading back to the office to unload.

Am I missing something?

Well either you do it willingly and are a nice person or your partner has used some kind of Jedi mind trick to get you give them an earlier finish every day!

Either way I don't think RM would pay you to be his/hers personal taxi and I expect if they found out they wouldn't be impressed! :cuppa
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Mobey »

Judgee wrote:
EdRush wrote:Extra pay is a good idea, as everyday I do an extra 15-20mins dropping off my non-driver at home, then heading back to the office to unload.

Am I missing something?
When I was on a van share recently, the person I was with said that the person he had left to go home as soon as they got bsck leaving him to bring everything in. I offered to help only to be told I'm used to it.

Needless to say I helped them. I thought you were/are supposed to be team players.
Well either you do it willingly and are a nice person or your partner has used some kind of Jedi mind trick to get you give them an earlier finish every day!

Either way I don't think RM would pay you to be his/hers personal taxi and I expect if they found out they wouldn't be impressed! :cuppa
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by Chewster »

Kings Norton wrote:I have been with some of the old time posties who still think they can chill out and talk to customers all day like the 1960s I'm sorry we just don't have the time for that nowadays. As far as I can see with the posties that are single (no disrespect or anything) but they have nothing to go home for so they like to think the day is long and piss about all day.
In my experienced it's usually those who are married who aren't in a rush to get home :left:
brandydoguk
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Non drivers should be doing more work!

Post by brandydoguk »

It's funny, my partner is the driver and started moaning that drivers should get extra payment. I said if that was the case I would stop taking extra loops (I probably do 30% more of the walking) while he did packets and specials. We could do the specials first and large packets at the end. My partner suddenly decided it was OK as it is.