ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

November 30th Mount Pleasant Bulletin

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

November 30th Mount Pleasant Bulletin

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
pj2001 wrote:Why make excuses? I think it's just plain rude to choose to speak in a foreign tongue and be in a "click" amongst English speaking colleagues
Irony ?

Its clique.

Although if I accept the premise of your argument I wonder why the forces don't make it compulsory to at least have a conversational grasp of the local countries they base serviceman and women in.

Food for thought at least.
If you point a loaded weapon at someone the need to speak becomes irrelevant I would have thought. As an aside if you were deployed in a foreign country you would be issued with an idiots guide to common necessary phrases, you wouldn't need to be fluent. I was taught a foreign language though and found it very useful and although I am still relatively fluent the necessity for it has long gone.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

November 30th Mount Pleasant Bulletin

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote: If you point a loaded weapon at someone the need to speak becomes irrelevant I would have thought.

Sadly not as Iraqi civilians and US Forces found out to both their costs. Here is an article that explains the reasons behind it, sadly the US did not "educate" their personnel about the local perception of checkpoints causing some tragic accidents. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/facu ... ezadlo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

November 30th Mount Pleasant Bulletin

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote: If you point a loaded weapon at someone the need to speak becomes irrelevant I would have thought.

Sadly not as Iraqi civilians and US Forces found out to both their costs. Here is an article that explains the reasons behind it, sadly the US did not "educate" their personnel about the local perception of checkpoints causing some tragic accidents. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/facu ... ezadlo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A long time ago in dealing with riots, the British formed a square with selectively armed soldiers, behind the first rank, who had loaded weapons, and all ranks who had fixed bayonets on SLRs was a banner held high with several dialects of the local language and English with precise instructions on what they should do and what would happen if they didn't. I'm sure it wouldn't have been beyond the bounds to have banners/billboards explaining that all checkpoints needed to be observed, that approach speed should be no greater than 5/10/15 kph and what would happen if they didn't.

When you think about what is happening in Syria with indiscriminate bombing and shelling, firing on a speeding vehicle with some casualties is pretty low key.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

November 30th Mount Pleasant Bulletin

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote: If you point a loaded weapon at someone the need to speak becomes irrelevant I would have thought.

Sadly not as Iraqi civilians and US Forces found out to both their costs. Here is an article that explains the reasons behind it, sadly the US did not "educate" their personnel about the local perception of checkpoints causing some tragic accidents. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/facu ... ezadlo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A long time ago in dealing with riots, the British formed a square with selectively armed soldiers, behind the first rank, who had loaded weapons, and all ranks who had fixed bayonets on SLRs was a banner held high with several dialects of the local language and English with precise instructions on what they should do and what would happen if they didn't. I'm sure it wouldn't have been beyond the bounds to have banners/billboards explaining that all checkpoints needed to be observed, that approach speed should be no greater than 5/10/15 kph and what would happen if they didn't.

When you think about what is happening in Syria with indiscriminate bombing and shelling, firing on a speeding vehicle with some casualties is pretty low key.
They did all that, still didn't work - that's my point. An assumption that because you understand something, doesn't mean that someone of a different culture would also understand. Its even more important that when in their country we take on their perceptions and try to understand them. After all that's all some are asking of immigrants and refugees in this country.

Its a bit arrogant if we expect one thing in our country, but aren't willing to reciprocate in another.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.