ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Jury Service Pay

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service Pay

Post by 19times »

I am getting some conflicting information about :hmmmm

Manager says I don't get payed, I get payed off the courts which I think is bull.

I also have a loss of earnings form from the court which states to only fill in If your employer will NOT be paying you.

I rang HR up but they said I WILL be payed an average over the last 13 weeks worked basic which means I don't fill in the loss of earning form, no?

Confused here :oops:

Can anyone tell me simply what the crack is??

Thank you.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3724
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Jury Service Pay

Post by yellowbelly »

From the thread where you originally posted, I understand it as RM give you a 'loan' which has to be repaid, so technically they will not be paying you.

You then have to claim the amount of the RM loan back from the court and then pay it to RM.

Seems a bit of a faff but that's how I'm reading it.....this way RM don't lose out....it's all paid by the taxpayer.....
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service Pay

Post by 19times »

yellowbelly wrote:From the thread where you originally posted, I understand it as RM give you a 'loan' which has to be repaid, so technically they will not be paying you.

You then have to claim the amount of the RM loan back from the court and then pay it to RM.

Seems a bit of a faff but that's how I'm reading it.....this way RM don't lose out....it's all paid by the taxpayer.....
Thanks yellowbelly, do I have to send the the loss of earnings form off to HR then? bit confused here as to whether I have to seeing as I get 'paid' still or loaned :roll:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Jury Service Pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

From the horses mouth

https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average over the last 13 week period of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). See the Jury Service Guide for details.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service Pay

Post by 19times »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:From the horses mouth

https://www.myroyalmail.com/sites/defau ... y%20A4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average over the last 13 week period of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). See the Jury Service Guide for details.
Thanks TrueBlueTerrier, I did read that before however I am still none the wiser about who I give the loss earnings form to :oops: Do I send the form off to HR?

Sorry bit dim with this part :oops:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Jury Service Pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Fill in the claim form in the jury pack you were given at the start of jury service. Return it to the court with all relevant receipts.

You should also include:

a Certificate of Loss of Earnings if you’re working or on benefits (completed by your employer or benefits office)
evidence of loss of earnings if you’re self-employed, such as your most recent tax return
evidence of any other expenses - including childcare expenses
https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/how-to-claim-expenses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service Pay

Post by 19times »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Fill in the claim form in the jury pack you were given at the start of jury service. Return it to the court with all relevant receipts.

You should also include:

a Certificate of Loss of Earnings if you’re working or on benefits (completed by your employer or benefits office)
evidence of loss of earnings if you’re self-employed, such as your most recent tax return
evidence of any other expenses - including childcare expenses
https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/how-to-claim-expenses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks again, I'll send the form to HR after I have completed my Jury service then seeing as it mentions I can claim after I have finished.

Cheers.
onearmedbandit
Posts: 29
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:10
Gender: Male

Jury Service Pay

Post by onearmedbandit »

did jury service 6 week ago..royal mail pay you ..can claim for loss of overtime as stated on form get manager to fill that part in if needed.. claim for food allowance off court as no receipt required ,think is was about £5.80 a day
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Jury Service Pay

Post by enskied »

You will bored crapless for days on end. The food is dire, and your vouchers will just about feed you a mid day meal that tou may or may not be able to eat.

As regards your pay. You will recieve it as normal, with a RM payslip. And you should get the loss of earnings, Average OT you would have worked, Without the usual argument from your Dom.

Personally, I would rather be piss wet thru. Pissing the Dom off telling them I am not going over. it is a punishment for being a good boy, that you have sit for days on end listening to Chite.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Jury Service Pay

Post by rubberbond »

enskied wrote:You will bored crapless for days on end. The food is dire, and your vouchers will just about feed you a mid day meal that tou may or may not be able to eat.

As regards your pay. You will recieve it as normal, with a RM payslip. And you should get the loss of earnings, Average OT you would have worked, Without the usual argument from your Dom.

Personally, I would rather be piss wet thru. Pissing the Dom off telling them I am not going over. it is a punishment for being a good boy, that you have sit for days on end listening to Chite.
Ah the warm glow of doing your duty as an upright and outstanding citizen!
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Jury Service Pay

Post by 19times »

enskied wrote:You will bored crapless for days on end. The food is dire, and your vouchers will just about feed you a mid day meal that tou may or may not be able to eat.

As regards your pay. You will recieve it as normal, with a RM payslip. And you should get the loss of earnings, Average OT you would have worked, Without the usual argument from your Dom.

Personally, I would rather be piss wet thru. Pissing the Dom off telling them I am not going over. it is a punishment for being a good boy, that you have sit for days on end listening to Chite.
Blimey! I am looking forward to the change of scenery to be honest, not too bothered about being bored - interested in the whole legal process and a break from the norm.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Jury Service Pay

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

So when on jury service, you will be compensated for overtime you would normally expect to do.

But when you take an annual leave week, RM still only pay you your contract hours, not an average of the overtime from the last 12 weeks (for your first four holiday weeks).

How does that work? :hmmmm :cuppa

Why is this issue seemingly being swept under the carpet by the CWU and RM, still forcing individual OPGs to put in grievances against their DOM, put another target on their back and then having to fill in forms to ACAS for the missing overtime payments?