Hey guys, agree with what is mostly being said. You definitely need to get the calories in, I burn 3750-4000 a day when working and going to gym, before I knew the calories I was burning I was way under eating thinking I only needed 3000 calories a day, but I found I I would be burnt out after 2-3 weeks hard training.
I don't do any cardio, as there is no need with the job we have, unless you are training for a sport that requires cardio of course. I train straight after work around 1:30-2:00 and I feel really strong at this time despite having just done a delivery.
And lastly sleep is essential, getting 7 hours a night is a must, so in bed by 10 is my rule, if I stick to it I recover better and don't feel as tired at the end of the week.
Eating is the part you need to get right for me, this is typically what I do daily:
Wake up 5:15 : black coffee (no breakfast)
8:30 before going out on delivery : chicken and rice or something similar
12:30-12:45 : homemade protein bar and an apple
13:45 (after delivery) 40min gym session, banana straight after
Within 30 mins of session I have a protien shake with creatine
Then then within 1-1:30 after that protien pancakes
19:00 dinner, protein and lots of veg
21:30 Greek yogurt with casein protein powder.
Also, of course, hydration, drink lots of water, which is a nightmare for me, I tend to drink most of my water in the afternoon as it's impossible in the morning without having to pee every half an hour on delivery..
Hope some of that helps!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
anyone here go to the gym?
-
Zade77
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 29 Oct 2013, 17:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: East Sussex
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
.
Last edited by wannabeek on 14 Nov 2016, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
Oh dear. That sounds very healthy and quite unlike my routine to maintain a 3,500 to 4,000 calorie daily intake.
5am. Black coffee then leftovers from night before.
8 to 9am. crisps and a chocolate bar before delivery.
11:30ish full English breakfast at a local cafe.
1:00 home made 'normal' lunch - roll, sandwiches or whatever
2pm another chocolate bar when nearly finished work
3:15pm sneaky stop at the chippy for a battered sausage and chips on the way to pick the kids up
4:00 kids home, usually there's a cake or biscuits available.
Any gym or fitness running etc happens here, depending on how much time I have before cooking the evening meal.
6pm family meal, I usually have 2 adult portions and make sure there's another portion left over for the next morning too.
Finally plenty of wine and whatever snacks are available to pass the evening before all the madness starts again.
I expect you'll be appalled at that diet but it seems to suit me.
5am. Black coffee then leftovers from night before.
8 to 9am. crisps and a chocolate bar before delivery.
11:30ish full English breakfast at a local cafe.
1:00 home made 'normal' lunch - roll, sandwiches or whatever
2pm another chocolate bar when nearly finished work
3:15pm sneaky stop at the chippy for a battered sausage and chips on the way to pick the kids up
4:00 kids home, usually there's a cake or biscuits available.
Any gym or fitness running etc happens here, depending on how much time I have before cooking the evening meal.
6pm family meal, I usually have 2 adult portions and make sure there's another portion left over for the next morning too.
Finally plenty of wine and whatever snacks are available to pass the evening before all the madness starts again.
I expect you'll be appalled at that diet but it seems to suit me.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
I do cardio on a Monday /Tuesday with extra lapse, then the glutes and hams on Wednesday, build up the biceps and triceps on Thursday with bigger bundles in each hand, shoulders and traps on Friday and then Lats and back on a Saturday. Rest day Sunday.
Joking aside, I admire anyone who manages to do our job and still have the energy to hit the gym and stay 'pumped up' as well. I guess its more of a mental thing as a physical one. Im guessing it's quite difficult to get motivated for a punishing work-out after you have been on your feet non-stop all day at work and you finish your shift at 4pm??
Joking aside, I admire anyone who manages to do our job and still have the energy to hit the gym and stay 'pumped up' as well. I guess its more of a mental thing as a physical one. Im guessing it's quite difficult to get motivated for a punishing work-out after you have been on your feet non-stop all day at work and you finish your shift at 4pm??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
Here is a tip that i found very useful.Oats and whey.You can buy premixed flavoured bags from myprotein or make your own if you want to save money.I buy it pre mixed in chocolate flavour.Its called weight gainer on the site but its just whey protein mix and finely powdered oats and some maize starches.I buy a large sack when they are on offer.I find it so handy when i wake up as i usually cant stomach food straight away so i have a black coffee and then chug down a chocolate shake.You can use water or milk,i use milk for the extra protein and cals and i prefer it thick.You can use 50/50 too.
On the subject of milk if you can stomach drinking it with no issues i would chug it down when you can.It is actually more hydrating than water and contains protein/casien so is slower release,ideal for us posties.FULL FAT milk is always better if you can drink it.I eat lots of tuna/mackerel/pasta/ too.Do weights 3 times a week.
On the subject of milk if you can stomach drinking it with no issues i would chug it down when you can.It is actually more hydrating than water and contains protein/casien so is slower release,ideal for us posties.FULL FAT milk is always better if you can drink it.I eat lots of tuna/mackerel/pasta/ too.Do weights 3 times a week.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
My protein has alot of money off at the moment. The powered oats are incredibly easy to get down you with some protein powder. I also love casein and cottage cheese etc just before bed. I also have been taking ZMA for the past week and feels like my sleep has been so intensely deep I feel like I've been in a coma.2pints wrote:Here is a tip that i found very useful.Oats and whey.You can buy premixed flavoured bags from myprotein or make your own if you want to save money.I buy it pre mixed in chocolate flavour.Its called weight gainer on the site but its just whey protein mix and finely powdered oats and some maize starches.I buy a large sack when they are on offer.I find it so handy when i wake up as i usually cant stomach food straight away so i have a black coffee and then chug down a chocolate shake.You can use water or milk,i use milk for the extra protein and cals and i prefer it thick.You can use 50/50 too.
On the subject of milk if you can stomach drinking it with no issues i would chug it down when you can.It is actually more hydrating than water and contains protein/casien so is slower release,ideal for us posties.FULL FAT milk is always better if you can drink it.I eat lots of tuna/mackerel/pasta/ too.Do weights 3 times a week.
-
FinishOnTime
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
- Gender: Male
anyone here go to the gym?
Agree with all this. While it's tough to go out after a hard day at work, especially at this time of the year, I think the job really helps my running, giving me a big head start against office based mates. Same goes for cycling. I'm sure there must be a tipping point though, where your delivery gets too big and it affects what you do outside work.madmax1 wrote:I run 3 or 4 times a week still, but find it much tougher to get out there than I did before I became a postman.stephen.cal87 wrote:I want to start running 3 times a week but with a delivery upwards of 12 miles a day I fear running 3 times a week in the evenings may be over doing it!? My legs be pretty tired from all the walking, I would say my diet isnt too bad I rarely eat out, bring my own lunches to work to save buying junk from a shop & eat home cooked meals every evening. My metabolism I would say is fast as I tend to eat more small but often meals rather than just breakfast lunch & dinner. Any advice much apreciated.
It's easier physically and psychologically to get out and run after an easier day, so Mondays/Tuesdays/Saturdays plus Sunday is possible. Inevitably you are going to feel more tired after a day on delivery, but this is compensated for by your base fitness and stamina being much improved with all the walking/weight carrying. If you are anything like me you'll find that this tips the balance in your favour and you'll actually run better than if you weren't a postman
Let's hope it never comes to that.