ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

Have been feeling unwell for awhile so on my DAY OFF i got an emergency appointment at the Doctors.

On the evening of my day off I informed my manager I would not becoming in the next day due to illness

Will Royal Mail count my day off as the first day of absence ?
bobthepostie
Posts: 135
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by bobthepostie »

No they shouldn't. The first day of absence will be the first day you have told them you are going sick when it's a scheduled working day for you.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

They may try to use it because you rang in on your day off to say you were sick, so take your rep in with you, and keep notes in case you do trigger a stage at some point.

My advice is never to ring in on your day off, unless you are returning to work the next day. On your day off and you are going sick ring in first thing next day, if going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:They may try to use it because you rang in on your day off to say you were sick, so take your rep in with you, and keep notes in case you do trigger a stage at some point.

My advice is never to ring in on your day off, unless you are returning to work the next day. On your day off and you are going sick ring in first thing next day, if going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
THat is what I was thinking.

I was in two minds what to do and decided to contact them on my day off 11pm ,thinking this will allow them time in the morning to get my duty covered.

Will see what happens on my return.
Thanks
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:They may try to use it because you rang in on your day off to say you were sick, so take your rep in with you, and keep notes in case you do trigger a stage at some point.

My advice is never to ring in on your day off, unless you are returning to work the next day. On your day off and you are going sick ring in first thing next day, if going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
THat is what I was thinking.

I was in two minds what to do and decided to contact them on my day off 11pm ,thinking this will allow them time in the morning to get my duty covered.

Will see what happens on my return.
Thanks
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by WOBBLY »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:If going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
When going back I ring in the day before to say I'll be in the next day, but its my day off ;) If you ring on your day off they will include that in your sick leave. (I've learnt that from bitter experience!)
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by Judgee »

Never be considerate when it comes to going off sick. I was considerate when I needed to go home early. Told them as soon as I knew rather than wait like everyone told me too because I wanted to give them as much time to cover as possible. Had I waited another hour it would have been classed as a half day. Instead they slapped a full days absence on me even though I offered to stay until the walk was thrown up and volunteered to do the days D2ds the next day (which I still did despite the stitch up).

They never thank you for your consideration so don't give them any! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by daveyeff »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:They may try to use it because you rang in on your day off to say you were sick, so take your rep in with you, and keep notes in case you do trigger a stage at some point.

My advice is never to ring in on your day off, unless you are returning to work the next day. On your day off and you are going sick ring in first thing next day, if going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
surely its got to be a no. he phoned in after THAT days work was over and done with. he wasn't due in on his day off, and stipulated he wouldn't be in the NEXT day. ive done it a few times and I know of many colleagues who have also phoned in on their days off to say they wouldn't be in the next day. its always counted from then. he became sick AFTER the days work was over and he wasn't due in anyways....but it IS royal mail and as you say they may try it. they'll try anything.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

daveyeff wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:They may try to use it because you rang in on your day off to say you were sick, so take your rep in with you, and keep notes in case you do trigger a stage at some point.

My advice is never to ring in on your day off, unless you are returning to work the next day. On your day off and you are going sick ring in first thing next day, if going back ring in on your day off, that why they can't count it in either situation.
surely its got to be a no. he phoned in after THAT days work was over and done with. he wasn't due in on his day off, and stipulated he wouldn't be in the NEXT day. ive done it a few times and I know of many colleagues who have also phoned in on their days off to say they would be in the next day. its always counted from then.
It depends a lot on the manager, mine doesn't count days off unless you are off both before and after, some really stretch it to try and claim all the days they can from you, why I am not sure, its either vindictiveness or bonus.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by daveyeff »

probably both, and just out of sheer badness. I know I would kick off it they tried on me. I would claim I wasn't feeling ill until that days graft was over with. and that I was available on my day off. sod them.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by FinishOnTime »

Judgee wrote:Never be considerate when it comes to going off sick. I was considerate when I needed to go home early. Told them as soon as I knew rather than wait like everyone told me too because I wanted to give them as much time to cover as possible. Had I waited another hour it would have been classed as a half day. Instead they slapped a full days absence on me even though I offered to stay until the walk was thrown up and volunteered to do the days D2ds the next day (which I still did despite the stitch up).

They never thank you for your consideration so don't give them any! :roll:
Half day? Doesn't exist. If you attended work, but had to go home even after 5 minutes it counts as a part day absence, which doesn't count towards the formal procedure. (as long as you went to work the next day, which you did).
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by meercat »

FinishOnTime wrote:If you attended work, but had to go home even after 5 minutes it counts as a part day absence, which doesn't count towards the formal procedure. (as long as you went to work the next day, which you did).
I've heard many people say you have to be in for an hour or two before going home to have it count as just a part day absence rather than whole day.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

meercat wrote:
FinishOnTime wrote:If you attended work, but had to go home even after 5 minutes it counts as a part day absence, which doesn't count towards the formal procedure. (as long as you went to work the next day, which you did).
I've heard many people say you have to be in for an hour or two before going home to have it count as just a part day absence rather than whole day.
That's management bullshit.

Part days will only be counted if someone is a repeat offender and is suspected of taking the piss.

I knew someone not far away who had them counted because they had had 8 part days in just over 12 months.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Will Royal Mail count my day off as a first sick day?

Post by rubberbond »

Judgee wrote:Never be considerate when it comes to going off sick. I was considerate when I needed to go home early. Told them as soon as I knew rather than wait like everyone told me too because I wanted to give them as much time to cover as possible. Had I waited another hour it would have been classed as a half day. Instead they slapped a full days absence on me even though I offered to stay until the walk was thrown up and volunteered to do the days D2ds the next day (which I still did despite the stitch up).

They never thank you for your consideration so don't give them any! :roll:
You should have thrown up on the frame,that sharpens their mind.i agree with you, If you're sick,you're sick,whatever they say,phone in as soon as practicable. Covering your walk is not your problem,they get paid to "manage",let them manage.