ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Un equal treatment or not?!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

Ooopps should have been 'mail' not nail!!
Bloody predictive text!
I have toyed with idea of signing for round (if I stay a reserve I ll still be on it! So at least contracted hours will be upped!) but am getting second thoughts as it's constantly being meddled with and no constant co worker wants to do it
Thanks for all the comments some have given me a little lift at moment which I guess I helps!!
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

Sorry last one!
Bit miffed that I ve worked my nuts off to complete all year then when the 'good time' comes someone else is gonna be taking loops from me as I ll be on the parcel side as they don t know driver loops !
We ll see how it goes I guess come re sign I may sign to a different one and then stick to my guns as I signed to a different round !!!funny thing called karma !
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by mickeymacca »

Steve32ford wrote:Thanks for all the comments and advice
Two things I vowed not to do is 'cut off' and not let this round claim yet another victim by beating me! (Although seem to be the laughing stock of depot for my efforts with one of the worst rounds!)
I really enjoy job and wish I d joined up years ago!
I ve been thinking of requesting a transfer to another depot just to get away from it! Better the devil you know I guess! The tips on the round are crap at best got £40 last year and partner who d been on it for three + yrs ended up with about £100 (better than nothing I know) I don t do it for the tips (although it's appreciated) just wanna be left to do round without having the stress of an extra person to 'help out' i had a plan in my head for Christmas but seems to be falling on deaf ears! Spoke to manager this morning as the persons posted on it at moment seem to be on a pootle round no rush and I end up taking nail off them to try to keep o/t down
I guess I still/just care to much about it
You've already received loads of good advice, but I think you need to cut off once, just to understand how it works. Managers will play on your 'can do' attitude. Once they realise you will cut off, you have a nice situation with overtime if you want it, if you extend or cutting off and leaving it for someone else to do on OT. Remember you are not a manager, they are paid to manage that situation, not you. Good luck mate
'Libraries gave us power'
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by datasaint »

To be honest you sound like you are putting yourself under undue pressure to complete just to maintain your image.

The situation you're in is one created by you in all honesty. If you run around to take up the slack of your van share partner, in the managements eyes they'll see nothing wrong with the individual or the duty. So things will continue on with you getting more worked up, which isn't healthy.

Take a step back. Go in to work to carry out your duties, work at a reasonable pace and safely, take your breaks, don't concern yourself with mail volumes or how fast or slow your coworkers are working (that's manager territory). If you can't complete so be it, follow the cutting off procedure.

It's not a difficult job in all reality you just have to put things in perspective. :wave
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

Thanks I have always been a person who usually thrives/takes pride in my work
Now can anyone tell me how the cut of thing works/rules on it etc! Pit falls etc as don t want to loose all o/t I m gonna try it there way providing the co manager actually gives me their plan of attack 'on how to do round 3 up!' Spoke to fellow worker who has already told me it doesn't ! At least (my way of thinking is if I do it by their methods it's their problem!! )
The other Postie has already had a word on how we gonna work it but am really worried that if done differently if I ever get plan (asked 2/3 times now to try to forward plan but still nothing!) I ll be dragged into office!
It's got to the stage that i m really struggling to concentrate and it's playing on my mind all the time affecting my sleep/health, normally would nt be an issue
Really I just want to be left alone to do the round it's pretty much always been cleared when others are nt but nothing's being done/said on them poss because this round has always been heavy on o/t but all clear!

Thanks for all your comments just need to know the in &outs, pros and cons etc as not had/able to ask anyone how it all works or had it explained to me!
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

Thanks I have always been a person who usually thrives/takes pride in my work
Now can anyone tell me how the cut of thing works/rules on it etc! Pit falls etc as don t want to loose all o/t I m gonna try it there way providing the co manager actually gives me their plan of attack 'on how to do round 3 up!' Spoke to fellow worker who has already told me it doesn't ! At least (my way of thinking is if I do it by their methods it's their problem!! )
The other Postie has already had a word on how we gonna work it but am really worried that if done differently if I ever get plan (asked 2/3 times now to try to forward plan but still nothing!) I ll be dragged into office!
It's got to the stage that i m really struggling to concentrate and it's playing on my mind all the time affecting my sleep/health, normally would nt be an issue
Really I just want to be left alone to do the round it's pretty much always been cleared when others are nt but nothing's being done/said on them poss because this round has always been heavy on o/t but all clear!

Thanks for all your comments just need to know the in &outs, pros and cons etc as not had/able to ask anyone how it all works or had it explained to me!
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by wannabeek »

It should in theory be extremely straightforward to 'cut off'. You do this duty a lot so you have an advantage over many others because you have a good idea how long it's likely to take to complete - for many of us that is a total guess due to being new to a duty.

Say to boss right at start of day (or even in advance if you feel like it) that you can only work up until whatever time. Make up a reason if you like but you are not required to give a reason - all overtime is voluntary in RM.

Boss is most likely to say just see how it looks later when the mail is all prepped. At that point you should be able to give a pretty accurate estimate of what you can deliver in the time you have left. It is not your job to worry about what you can't deliver - that is for managers to sort out.

As I said, that is the theory - the reality sadly is that many managers will coerce you into working more hours than you want simply because it is hassle for them to organise delivery of the surplus.

What happens to this duty on the days you don't work? Does everyone just plod on and complete no matter what?
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

That's a tricky complex one!
As far as I know the signed floater is on a different round and is left on it!
The other floater that covers my rest day always wants to wk to time ish has a tendency to thin out/leave d2ds and not take any big packets and that's fine!
I can tell you it's horrible/horrific after he's done a wed or thur cause you have even more to do as taking what's been left ! Not to bad during the year I can cope but this time of year not good news! I have worked with him and have to do passenger loops as he says he does nt know them! Known to be lazy and a problem but gets brushed away as I ve always picked up the fall out!
The_Wax_Man
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by The_Wax_Man »

I don't get this.

If your on one of the 'worse' rounds in the DO, are you managing to complete it all within the timescale of the job or are you starting earlier, finishing later and not claiming etc.

If so the Linos and Dom will just keep you at it doing what your doing.

If the round can be managed within timeframes, working at an average pace for each day of the week, then maybe its not one of the 'worst' rounds.

Sometimes its the devil you know is best attitude. And the grass is not always greener as they say.
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Steve32ford »

Hi thanks for your comment!
I have never managed to complete the round within the allocated time it's to big and packet/d2d heavy let alone the big parcels !
I go in earlier than my contract time on o/t and claim o/t the other end of the day also I m not doing it all for nothing!!
I m was happy to do round when left to it but now just seems like more and more is expected and I m taking all responsibility for it now as 'no one wants to go on it!'
I don't mind putting the hours in on it
As you say grass may not be greener/devil you know would I guess just have liked to try some different round the same as the other reserves before the imminent resign
The_Wax_Man
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by The_Wax_Man »

Steve32ford wrote:Hi thanks for your comment!
I have never managed to complete the round within the allocated time it's to big and packet/d2d heavy let alone the big parcels !
I go in earlier than my contract time on o/t and claim o/t the other end of the day also I m not doing it all for nothing!!
I m was happy to do round when left to it but now just seems like more and more is expected and I m taking all responsibility for it now as 'no one wants to go on it!'
I don't mind putting the hours in on it
As you say grass may not be greener/devil you know would I guess just have liked to try some different round the same as the other reserves before the imminent resign
what a crappy situation.

I think 1st things 1st is run all this through your rep, see what the Q is.

I understand about taking pride to get the job done, but this should not ensue you having to do o/t both ends. - That's why the managers are happy for you to stay on it because you are not failing and not showing the round for what it is.

In order for them to understand how big the round is, then you'll have to make it fail by working to time/cutting off. - Once they see there is a problem, the problem becomes theirs to address. - As I say, run this past your rep the action your going to take, follow correct cutoff procedure and as long as any commands/demands from the Linos etc fall outside of the 'reasonable request' guidelines, then I'd say your back is covered.

You may have a couple of crappy days by doing this, and/or get the managers backs up, slide down their christmas card list but hey its you that's suffering, not them.

It will mean failing and going against your grain, but clearly you are not happy and this is causing you stress.

Above all be strong and hold your ground. They will want you to back down and will give you many reasons/threats why you 'need' to complete. They may also start picking you up on small irrelevant details as a way of making you feel more crap. After doing the round without fault for so long, it may be a case of painting a target on your back. - Keep your rep fully informed at all times, and if you feel they are being vindictive, ensure your rep is there on the conversations.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Un equal treatment or not?!

Post by Postie45 »

the one thing i see from people who get to this stage is that theyll do the job "properly" for a few days and then get fed up with having the walk fail everyday and resort back to their old ways. If I were you id have a really good think about how cutting off will affect you mentally, and if youre prepared to stick with it for the long run.