Mines fine, pissin down today, had it about 18 months does the job.
Presume we're talking about the Hi viz type jacket not that crock of s**t red thing might as well be made from paper they give us !
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
It's top of this list of essential gear I made last year: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =wish+listpeshwaarinaan wrote:wannabeek what sort of Montane jacket do you have? I'm watching one on ebay that says it's waterproof. My RM coat is useless. I don't mind paying £100 if it keeps me dry.
It says £120 now, it was £100 when I got it so maybe worth shopping around.
Some think I'm bonkers for paying so much for a coat but I've not had to wring rainwater out of my underpants once since I've had it - not the case in my first few years at RM!
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Yes the high vis coat. Never even bothered taking the red one out the packet as you can see it's useless.ted_e_bear wrote:Mines fine, pissin down today, had it about 18 months does the job.
Presume we're talking about the Hi viz type jacket not that crock of s**t red thing might as well be made from paper they give us !
To balence things out the rest of the uniform seems fine and I love the YDS walking shoes/trainers, not many shoes you can walk 10 mile in on day one with no issues, and they have been great since. I would have thought It would be in RM interest to have a good waterproof coat to keep sickness down, not doubt it was bought on the basis of it was the cheapest tender by somebody who doesn't have to go out wearing one in the rain, and will continue to insist it's perfect as he saved 50p off the price of a good one!!!
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Lol, the light up cap on your list is genius. I might have to get on for Christmas! Do you really wear all that gear? You must get a lot of batman comments with that Niton utility belt.wannabeek wrote:It's top of this list of essential gear I made last year: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =wish+listpeshwaarinaan wrote:wannabeek what sort of Montane jacket do you have? I'm watching one on ebay that says it's waterproof. My RM coat is useless. I don't mind paying £100 if it keeps me dry.
It says £120 now, it was £100 when I got it so maybe worth shopping around.
Some think I'm bonkers for paying so much for a coat but I've not had to wring rainwater out of my underpants once since I've had it - not the case in my first few years at RM!
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Not too sure about the rest of the uniform being fine... I've never got on with the trousers, made out of boiler suit material that leave your legs red raw in cold wet weather and waist sizes that just never seem to fit me right, either so tight they're cutting into me or so loose they're constantly falling down!telithowitis wrote:Yes the high vis coat. Never even bothered taking the red one out the packet as you can see it's useless.ted_e_bear wrote:Mines fine, pissin down today, had it about 18 months does the job.
Presume we're talking about the Hi viz type jacket not that crock of s**t red thing might as well be made from paper they give us !
To balence things out the rest of the uniform seems fine and I love the YDS walking shoes/trainers, not many shoes you can walk 10 mile in on day one with no issues, and they have been great since. I would have thought It would be in RM interest to have a good waterproof coat to keep sickness down, not doubt it was bought on the basis of it was the cheapest tender by somebody who doesn't have to go out wearing one in the rain, and will continue to insist it's perfect as he saved 50p off the price of a good one!!!
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Do get the light cap, best gear at this time of year. The light cap should be standard issue it's so good, way better than that daft clip-on chest light they give us which wobbles the beam all over the place. Never need to rummage around blind while clearing a post box after hours now. Never stand in dog poo on the walk to work. Doing a van check at 6am at this time of year in a pitch black yard - no worries.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
I find that the jackets aren't TOO terrible, but my arms usually end up wet if it's really heavy rain. I agree about the trousers, I can never get a pair to fit properly, and water just goes right through them! But I do find that they dry very very quickly. Handy for splashback...
The waterproof leggings I don't like. Obviously they make getting into your cargo pockets harder, but they keep the water IN as well as out, so if you're a sweaty betty like me then you'll find your legs are soaked anyway.
Waterproof socks would be a good idea. I find that the Magnum boots are pretty good at keeping your feet dry but they're not wellies so your feet do end up wet if it's heavy rain, and I find that the day after a good soaking, the boots are really itchy to wear?
The waterproof leggings I don't like. Obviously they make getting into your cargo pockets harder, but they keep the water IN as well as out, so if you're a sweaty betty like me then you'll find your legs are soaked anyway.
Waterproof socks would be a good idea. I find that the Magnum boots are pretty good at keeping your feet dry but they're not wellies so your feet do end up wet if it's heavy rain, and I find that the day after a good soaking, the boots are really itchy to wear?
-
Burgh
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 09 Jul 2013, 13:41
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
How do we stand on wearing non uniform?.
I tryed to order some new trousers today as I only have 1 pair left of 2 I orderd last year.the zip has broken,and I have lost weight so no longer fit me..When I rang the helpline they said I'm over my order as I've had 6 pairs in the last 2 years...what is impossible as I've only had 2..A manager must of used my account to get some for other people.as I know I've only had 2 pairs.
do I just start wearing my own trousers ?as it looks like I have no other option..as they aren't going to give me anymore..
I found that the new uniform they brought out is very poor for bad weather.the cagoule is a joke.what was its intended use? as it's not for rain..The storm jackets are ok for about 2 weeks of heavy rain.then it's just as bad as that cagoule.

I tryed to order some new trousers today as I only have 1 pair left of 2 I orderd last year.the zip has broken,and I have lost weight so no longer fit me..When I rang the helpline they said I'm over my order as I've had 6 pairs in the last 2 years...what is impossible as I've only had 2..A manager must of used my account to get some for other people.as I know I've only had 2 pairs.
do I just start wearing my own trousers ?as it looks like I have no other option..as they aren't going to give me anymore..
I found that the new uniform they brought out is very poor for bad weather.the cagoule is a joke.what was its intended use? as it's not for rain..The storm jackets are ok for about 2 weeks of heavy rain.then it's just as bad as that cagoule.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
Tell your manager you have tried to order uniform and it has been refused. They will be able to order based on their own authority.
It your uniform is not fit to wear then get permission to wear something else, the manager won't refuse, getting the mail out is more important for them.
It your uniform is not fit to wear then get permission to wear something else, the manager won't refuse, getting the mail out is more important for them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Burgh
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 09 Jul 2013, 13:41
- Gender: Male
The NOT storm proof RM jacket!
t I had a manager try and order me some trouser a few months ago.he was the one who said I should try and ring my self..I will try another manager who may push it through .as some seem half arsed...TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Tell your manager you have tried to order uniform and it has been refused. They will be able to order based on their own authority.
It your uniform is not fit to wear then get permission to wear something else, the manager won't refuse, getting the mail out is more important for them.
thanks for the help..