ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saturday pda nightmare

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
alwayskint
Posts: 21
Joined: 16 Oct 2010, 17:26
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by alwayskint »

The 2 d barcodes contain more information e.g. Weight,size of parcels
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

alwayskint wrote:The 2 d barcodes contain more information e.g. Weight,size of parcels

Yep, as a geek. 2d Bar Codes can contain


1556 ASCII (8 Bit), 2335 alphanumerical or 3116 numeric characters

Which can add up to a load of data if you think there are 70K delivery routes, and that ignores the MCs, DCs and all other Indoor users.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by nickbsmooth »

My PDA finally logged on about 12:30 final loop coincidentally the sun came out around that time too.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by rubberbond »

steve1873 wrote:We were the same. Seemed random as to who and when we could log-in. I managed to scan all items bar one at beginning of delivery which I put on EPOD card - lo and behold I get home and what is in my pocket?

On annual leave next week as well, but I am not going in to hand over card until I am back a week on Monday - I will txt gaffer number and tell him it was delivered with signature.

As far as the "as long as you scanned every item you will be fine" line - if a knowntechnical glitch prevents items from being processed through the system properly, then in absolutely no way should the person delivering the items be held in any way responsible. Royal Mail will have to suck it up and pay compensation as and when required to customers and perhaps come up with a more robust fail safe. Cost of doing business and all that jazz!
Post it to them, help put the volumes, that are supposedly declining,but aren't , up.
Daniel-san
Posts: 74
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:51
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by Daniel-san »

Went back to pen & paper! Bloody thing did my head in!!
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by borgpicard »

This happens every saturday !! IT manager fu cking usless, should be sacked
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Saturday pda nightmare

Post by SpacePhoenix »

With the delivery address as part of the bar code data I expect in theory the DOM would eventually be able to see a breakdown of what each walk has got to deliver