ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Tracked

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Theghost »

This sort of thing really pisses me off.
The customer has ordered the parcel and will know themselves if they are going to be home,at work or elsewhere.
We try to deliver and if nobody is home,SO f***ing WHAT!!! BIG DEAL!!! How is this our fault? What is the big problem in taking it back to the office for the customer to collect? They are the ones not home,We have done our bit.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Tracked

Post by k979aaa »

Just do what some in our office do throw it in a blue bin if it need's a signature sign it yourself you will then achieve the magic 100% and will be lauded by the management team. Till one packet goes missing upon you will be hung drawn and quartered and given a TWO YEAR'S serious for your efforts you have achieved for your own stupidity and for what nothing as we don't get a bonus as to first time delivery but someone must do I wonder who!
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by eastie »

postslippete wrote:Hmmm


What about the many customers who have stickers on their letterboxes that were provided by the Royal Mail which explicitly states to the postman "Please return the items you can't deliver to the delivery office".

Correctly following procedure means that a 100% delivered rate should be almost impossible
I have a lot of these stickers on my round and tell the DOM the same
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Mobey »

Theghost wrote:This sort of thing really pisses me off.
The customer has ordered the parcel and will know themselves if they are going to be home,at work or elsewhere.
We try to deliver and if nobody is home,SO f***ing WHAT!!! BIG DEAL!!! How is this our fault? What is the big problem in taking it back to the office for the customer to collect? They are the ones not home,We have done our bit.
I know this might be slightly off topic.

It's very frustrating to try to deliver a special but nobody answers the door.

You've spent additional money to get it delivered before 1 but you don't answer the door... why? :d'oh!
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Acca Dacca »

Mobey wrote:
Theghost wrote:This sort of thing really pisses me off.
The customer has ordered the parcel and will know themselves if they are going to be home,at work or elsewhere.
We try to deliver and if nobody is home,SO f***ing WHAT!!! BIG DEAL!!! How is this our fault? What is the big problem in taking it back to the office for the customer to collect? They are the ones not home,We have done our bit.
I know this might be slightly off topic.

It's very frustrating to try to deliver a special but nobody answers the door.

You've spent additional money to get it delivered before 1 but you don't answer the door... why? :d'oh!
Many don't care about getting it next day but for the security and insurance specials hold
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Postie45 »

Mobey wrote:
You've spent additional money to get it delivered before 1 but you don't answer the door... why? :d'oh!
the customer of a special delivery is the sender, not the recipient. The recipient may not know a special delivery is coming.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Mobey »

Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Postie45 »

Theghost wrote:This sort of thing really pisses me off.
The customer has ordered the parcel and will know themselves if they are going to be home,at work or elsewhere.
We try to deliver and if nobody is home,SO f***ing WHAT!!! BIG DEAL!!! How is this our fault? What is the big problem in taking it back to the office for the customer to collect? They are the ones not home,We have done our bit.
Right, at the end of the day if a delivery is attempted to the address on the tracked, then i dont get why its classed as a fail because the person isnt in to recieve it.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by CharlesSpooner »

If I've got time I'll keep trying neighbours until I no longer have time. I can't be sent back out at the end of my duty time - The only ones stressed by it in our office are the runners who can't finish early unless they've got shut of everything.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by ScousePostie »

Yesterday I was off but today I heard that same happened again when colleagues where coming back early, tracked was being noted and reasons for not being delivered noted also.

Today, heavy day across the office. Finish time was 14:35. No management to be seen. :nana
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by cpsteve »

madmax1 wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
madmax1 wrote:
Postie45 wrote:people who are being harassed about tracked like this NEED to contact the area CWU rep, this cant be allowed to continue
Exactly. As postmen/women we have one over-arching duty and that is the integrity of the mail. End of. If feasible you try the next door neighbour, if no joy 739 and back in the bag. Anyone achieving 100% delivery of tracked parcels cannot be doing their job properly IMO. As one unusually enlightened lino once said to me about a very speedy/overtime junky postie, who you would think was his dream employee, 'I worry about xxxx, he doesn't bring enough parcels back' !
I have had 100% for a week and sometimes two on my walk as I know who I can leave them with and where safe places are. Rest day covers have little chance as I do when I get put on other duties.
Knowing the helpful neighbours/oldies etc is a great help in upping the delivery % I agree, but I still think that the day a parcel disappears from a 'safe place' (you've identified or agreed with a householder), the only person that's going to get blamed for it going missing is you the postie so why take the risk
The householders have told me to leave them in bin cupboards behind gates and in porches its their risk and I trust them as they do me. On other walks/drives I 739 and its amazing how many you bring back. On a Wednesday we need more packet only duties to keep the standard of FTD up.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Tracked

Post by steve1873 »

ScousePostie wrote:We (office) are being hounded over tracked parcels. They must be delivered first time is the message being put across to posties at the moment.

At the beginning of the year DOM was congratulating the office on how well we'd done on tracked over the Christmas period. Then, in the new year, the % of first time delivery of tracked fell and has continued to drop over the year. Around February/March we were told if we are coming back early with 739d tracked he would be sending us back out to try to deliver to neighbours. This went on for some weeks until someone sent Moya an email asking whether or not this practice from management was allowed. The reply was we should be trying to deliver to neighbours when the recipient is not at home whilst on delivery but once a 739 card had been posted that was it and that DOM shouldn't be sending us back out with tracked parcels.

Last week we were told in our meeting that we are doing poorly on tracked (the % has gone down dramatically, apparently). We were told that we must try harder to get shut of tracked with neighbours to increase first time delivery %.

This leads into today where this morning the office was told that we had 95% first time delivery rate on Saturday. As we came back off delivery with one 739d tracked I was asked; what walk, address of tracked, what neighbours I tried to deliver to and why the parcel wasn't delivered to those neighbours (five neighbours tried; 4 no answer, 1 refused). This was all noted down on paper. DOM was not interested in any other parcels that had been 739d. When challenging DOM on how many neighbours he'd like me to try he says "until you get rid of it".

To me, this is becoming a first time, every time -- or else! Targets, targets, targets. I almost feel that tracked is not RMs premium service even though management still insist that Special Delivery is still RMs premium service.
My reply would be "No problem Sir, what would you like me to do with the remainder of delivery I am unable to complete as a consequence of this, for future reference. And if possible, could you kindly put this down on paper? Thank you Sir, have a nice day!" Smile, then walk away!
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Tracked

Post by steve1873 »

cpsteve wrote:
madmax1 wrote:
cpsteve wrote:
madmax1 wrote:
Postie45 wrote:people who are being harassed about tracked like this NEED to contact the area CWU rep, this cant be allowed to continue
Exactly. As postmen/women we have one over-arching duty and that is the integrity of the mail. End of. If feasible you try the next door neighbour, if no joy 739 and back in the bag. Anyone achieving 100% delivery of tracked parcels cannot be doing their job properly IMO. As one unusually enlightened lino once said to me about a very speedy/overtime junky postie, who you would think was his dream employee, 'I worry about xxxx, he doesn't bring enough parcels back' !
I have had 100% for a week and sometimes two on my walk as I know who I can leave them with and where safe places are. Rest day covers have little chance as I do when I get put on other duties.
Knowing the helpful neighbours/oldies etc is a great help in upping the delivery % I agree, but I still think that the day a parcel disappears from a 'safe place' (you've identified or agreed with a householder), the only person that's going to get blamed for it going missing is you the postie so why take the risk
The householders have told me to leave them in bin cupboards behind gates and in porches its their risk and I trust them as they do me. On other walks/drives I 739 and its amazing how many you bring back. On a Wednesday we need more packet only duties to keep the standard of FTD up.
Wrong! All it takes is ONE ITEM to go missing. The recipient then contacts Amazon or whoever the retailer is.... Amazon then contact Royal Mail. You are then asked what you did with the item - what do you answer?

Because unless "Safe Place" is specified on the item (and by specified, I mean the exact location of safe place) then you absolutely, 100% should not be leaving it in what you decide is a safe place!
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by Mobey »

I never trust anyone on delivery. For starters I'm new and want to do everything by the book. I had a customer say to me yesterday, next door aren't in. If you leave in their bin cupboard they will get it.

I don't do it, but what I have seen and I'm sure everyone has in the country is a note on the door saying leave parcels etc in such and such. But I always think if I can read it so can anyone / everyone else....

I bring back lots of packets sometimes.
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Tracked

Post by delfranklin1969 »

As far as I'm concerned if the customer is not in that is first time delivery! It's not our problem they're out! I've found since I have been on my own round that you get to know where the neighbours will take parcels and where they won't.

Also there is the time issue, in the current environment it is simply too time consuming to try how ever many neighbours it takes to get rid of the thing.